Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #61
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyMoonshine View Post
Well they are working this trip....pretty happy about that.....plan on replacing them all very soon....do you sell the hubs as well?
I would suggest that you look at the complete braking and suspension system.

If the axles are originals, I would suggest that you check them out. Typically torsion axles do not last 40 years.

The following will help you to check them out.

The Dura-Torque Axle

After you check them out, most likely you will have more questions.

So, ask away.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
headed for new brakes

So we are going to go and drop her off this afternoon at the local RV shop to have them replace the brakes. The guy on the phone kept saying, "How do you know you need new brakes?!?" I told him, that with a trailer built in 69 and tires from 1990, it was probably a good guess! So we will see... I am really hoping that he doesn't say we have to do the axle too. From the RV guy she is headed over to the tire shop for new wheels and tires. Quick question: Do I need to tell him that I need a brake controller, or will he already know that? As you can see, this is not an area I know anything about! We are hoping to stay in budget and to be ready for our first adventure in the next couple of weeks!
Modern South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #63
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern South View Post
Quick question: Do I need to tell him that I need a brake controller, or will he already know that? As you can see, this is not an area I know anything about!
Even if he knows you need one, ask anyway. There are several models on the market, and you will want to discuss the subject with him to find out which to get.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
So we are going to go and drop her off this afternoon at the local RV shop to have them replace the brakes. The guy on the phone kept saying, "How do you know you need new brakes?!?" I told him, that with a trailer built in 69 and tires from 1990, it was probably a good guess! So we will see... I am really hoping that he doesn't say we have to do the axle too. From the RV guy she is headed over to the tire shop for new wheels and tires. Quick question: Do I need to tell him that I need a brake controller, or will he already know that? As you can see, this is not an area I know anything about! We are hoping to stay in budget and to be ready for our first adventure in the next couple of weeks!
If he doesn't know torsion axles he may not know what a bad axle is (I've read that some Airstream dealers don't know).

Also if you don't drop off your tow vehicle with your trailer he wont have any way to know you need a brake controller and would most likely assume that you already have one.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:55 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
brakes

We dropped it off at Augusta RV so hopefully they will know about all types of axles...I will ask more detailed questions about the axle when I hear from them today. Another crazy question for you guys, ford explorers do not come with a brake controller do they? Do you always have to add this on to your tow vehicle? If so, I will take the tow vehicle to him when we are closer to picking it up. Thanks again for your help and advice.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #66

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
We dropped it off at Augusta RV so hopefully they will know about all types of axles...I will ask more detailed questions about the axle when I hear from them today. Another crazy question for you guys, ford explorers do not come with a brake controller do they? Do you always have to add this on to your tow vehicle? If so, I will take the tow vehicle to him when we are closer to picking it up. Thanks again for your help and advice.
I don't believe the Explorer has ever had the option of a factory trailer-brake controller, for that vehicle you'll need to add one.

Recent pickup lines have optional or included-with-package integrated trailer brake controllers that don't require any additional hardware for most electric-brake trailers, though some of the early ones didn't work and play well with electric-over-hydraulic systems.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #67
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
As far as I know brake controllers are not standard on any (noncommercial) vehicle and only optional on some.

I believe Ford started offering brake controllers as an option in their pickup trucks in 2007 or 2008 and before that no noncommercial vehicles offered factory brake controllers (that I know of), so everyone had to add aftermarket ones.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
Okay, so back to the brakes question. We are going to hold off on the axle for now and put new brakes on. Can someone give me a bit more info on what size, type etc necessary for a 69 caravel?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Once you pull the wheel you will be able to see. They should be 10 or 12" drums. My 69 ambassador hand 12 " brakes. Buying the whole backing plates is the way to go. Inland RV and Outdoors Mart both carry them. I would guess you would also want to turn the rotors, and get them balanced if possible.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1968 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
My Caravel has 10" brakes. If you go ahead and buy a new brake assembly make sure you buy the complete set-up : backing plates w/self adjusting brakes and new drums. Then when you eventually buy a new axle, buy a bare axle and swap your new (newer) brakes onto it. I believe they will interchange. If not I would only put new pads and springs and have your drums turned onto your old set-up.
altnbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Your brakes may only need to be adjusted. A good experienced rv tech will be able to set you straight. If the brakes only need adjustment, I would order the axle with new brakes when it comes time to replace the axle.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
We gave up on trying to have her ready for next week. After all the great advice and patient people, we have decided to order a new axle with all the fixin's and install it ourselves with the help of a couple more experienced friends. Sad she isn't going with us, but will just make the first trip all the sweeter! Thanks again guys!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1968 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
When you order your new axle be sure to get self adjusting brakes and order the axle with shock brackets pre-welded on. I would also recommend that you get new shocks and centramatic balancers at the same time.

I recently ordered mine from Inland. The axle was $745, Shocks $28.95ea.,and the centramatics @ $40ea. The removal/ install only took me two hours with two men. You will need two jack stands,two floor jacks (one would work but it was much easier with two), a 1/2" drive 15/16" socket , 1/2" drive breaker bar , 1/2" drive torque wrench , 15/16" box end wrench, 1/2" drive 3/4" socket ( for shock removal/install), a 11/16" drill bit ( I used a die grinder with a 1/2" burr) to oval (drill out) the front hole on each sides mounting bracket, and a four wheel movers dolly to easily move the old axle out and move the new axle into position. My helper charged me two six packs of Sierra Nevada Big Foot Ale. I also used new nuts and bolts(hardened) to mount the axle that I bought at local hardware store.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:46 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1968 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
MOST IMPORTANT I stacked my tires and cribbing under the back bumper and cribbing under the tongue to prevent the trailer from crushing me if the trailer happened to fall or get knocked off the jack stands while I was underneath.
DO NOT TRUST YOUR LIFE TO THE JACK STANDS ALONE!!!

Also make sure that you install the shocks onto the axle before rolling it under the trailer and lifting it up but leave the brake assemblies off until you get the new axle mounted. Once you get the axle mounted then install the brake backing plates. Do a initial brake adjustment (just enough for the drums to fit on). Then pack the bearings (use a GC-LB grease) you can use a "bearing packer" to grease up the bearings but I just put a blob of grease in the palm of my hand and smeared it in until I could see it coming out through the bearings. Just make sure the bearing is completely packed.
Drop the inner bearing into place and install the grease seal. You can tap the seal into place with a brass hammer but I have found that it works better for me to press the seal in by using two boards with holes drilled in the center of them and a piece of threaded rod, nuts and flat washers. Pass the rod through the center of the hub put a board on both sides sandwiching the seal between then and install the flat washers and nuts onto the rod. Tighten the nuts gently until the seal starts to go into place while tapping on the board on the seal side. Do this until the seal is fully seated. This will install the seal square without damaging it. The Forum has many post on how to adjust the bearing nuts (I run the nut snug then back it off one hole before installing the cotter pin) you just have to make sure that the bearing races are fully seated before this will work

With the axle removal/install taking about two hours with two men, and the brake/bearing install taking just over an hour each I was able to do the total install in about a half day with taking beer breaks.

Also while your waiting for your new axle to arrive be sure to spray all the old nuts with penetrating oil several times. You especially want to spray the frame shock mounting studs and nuts because it is common for these to break off during the removal. If you break one off it will add several hours to your project by the time you hunt a new shock mounting stud down, cut or grind off the broken one and weld a new one on.

Be safe and take your time.

altnbndr
Old 04-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
Wow! Great advice and thank you so much! We will follow your instructions and will be very careful. I am sure questions will arise as we get started and I will ask as we go. Once again, thanks for taking the time to post all that great info!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by altnbndr View Post
MOST IMPORTANT I stacked my tires and cribbing under the back bumper and cribbing under the tongue to prevent the trailer from crushing me if the trailer happened to fall or get knocked off the jack stands while I was underneath.
altnbndr

Not quite on topic but I had to look up the word "Cribbing" - I'm a newcomer to these shores. Well, I've learned something new today

cribtestpg2

OK, back to brakes and axles...

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #77

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post

Not quite on topic but I had to look up the word "Cribbing" - I'm a newcomer to these shores. Well, I've learned something new today

cribtestpg2

OK, back to brakes and axles...
Also referred to as dunnage depending on locale.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunnage

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Also referred to as dunnage depending on locale.

Dunnage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
TWO new things I've learned today

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #79
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I guess you should educate us. What is cribbing called in the UK?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #80
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I believe it's called "big stackies of woodish thingies"