Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #81
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I believe it's called "big stackies of woodish thingies"
That sounds very Scottish.
Close enough.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I guess you should educate us. What is cribbing called in the UK?
I was going to say that I have no idea, but Aage came in with a better answer first!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
I was going to say that I have no idea, but Aage came in with a better answer first!
Ten minutes research and I find that it's known as "Dunnage" in the UK (see earlier reply). Nope, never heard of it; "big stack of woody blockie thingies" works for me.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
Okay, so I have derailed a thread or two, but this one really slid off the track...and I love it! I'll be happy to tell my husband what to stack under the bumper and I bet he still won't have a clue after I use all the different words for big stickies of woodish thingies! However, we will stack something under there to prevent me from becoming a pancake.
Modern South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #85
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1968 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
Dunnage or Cribbing?

In my work, commercial construction sheet metal (high rises and hospitals) we use both terms but they mean different things. "Dunnage" is the term used to describe wood or other non-structural items used to keep materials up off the ground to keep it out of the mud or dirt and to be able to easily get a forklift or hoisting sling under it for the movement of materials around the job site. Usually dunnage is scrap or trash of some sort which has a low cost $$$ or free found on site. Pallets and skids are considered dunnage which are made of low grade materials.

"Cribbing" is the term we use when referring to structural materials used to stack under equipment or other heavy items on the job where there will be crews working under it to protect them from being crushed in case the load shifts or becomes unstable. Working in California we have to always be aware of the possibility of a major earthquake that would cause a load to shift and prepare for it to protect our crews using "cribbing". Cribbing has to be structurally rated materials such as I-beams, tube steel, oak or other hard woods that are rated to support the load. Cribbing is never something just found on site and is purchased or obtained for a specific purpose of protecting our crews. Cribbing is expensive $$$$$$$$ but can usually be saved and reused many times.

As long as you use something as a redundant back up to the jack stands you will be ahead of the game. NEVER use cinder blocks, concrete , or bricks because they may shatter if a sudden concentrated load is placed on them.

Changing the axle on a single axle trailer is probably the most dangerous job to perform on any Airstream but can be done safely if you just plan ahead and take your time. "Don't be in a hurry to get hurt"

altnbndr
altnbndr is offline   Reply With Quote