Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2021, 05:55 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
Disk Brakes with Neverlube Axles

Hi All,
I'm looking into upgrading to disk brakes on my FC30. All of the aftermarket kits like Kodiak I've seen are for regular bearings, not Neverlube. eTrailer sells the Dexter brand kits but they're uber-expensive: $594/wheel for RH and $960/wheel for LH. Why the delta between RH and LH is a mystery. Add in brake controller & lines and I'm at around $4k! Ouch!

There is one Kodiak kit that slips over the hubs. These are much more reasonable: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...k/K2R526D.html at $350/axle

I did find elsewhere online the neverlube hubs by themselves: http://www.dexterpartsonline.com/product/008-404-80 for $250/wheel.
That would put me out the door for slightly over half the price of using the Dexter kits.

My quesiton is: does anyone know if the Kodiak kits will fit with the Dexter hubs? I tried questioning the eTrailer folks but got a standard reply that wasn't helpful.

Thanks in advance for the wisdom I am about to receive!
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:01 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
PM sent.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
My trailer has the EZ-Lube axles. I upgraded to disk brakes and got the parts and installation from Performance Trailer Braking. They were attending the international rally put on by my trailers manufacturer and offered a discount. Note that you need to order the parts based on your specific axles. In my case, they were unable to do the install at the rally because they couldn't get the right parts, but gave me the discount and did the install while I was traveling. Install was done in a state park. They will come to you to do the work. Their tech was easy to work with, installing the pump/actuator where I wanted it and giving me training working on the brakes.

I've had zero issues related to their work. In retrospect, had I been more comfortable with brake/wheel work, I could easily have done the install myself. It took the tech about 6 hours start to finish.

I can't help with the Kodiac system. If you decide to use Performance, PM me, using me as a reference will get you a discount.
https://performancetrailerbraking.com/