Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok you guys are correct that the stock aluminum rims won't work with the Kodiak calipers and disks. They sent me a drawing and I made a 3D model of the rim. If I can find a way to combine the two images and post it here I will. I also need to get permission from Kodiak on posting their drawing. It won't work.

So the Dexter calipers won't hit the rim? I don't see how the caliper could be much smaller so the offset on the actual Dexter disk must be farther back to make room for the caliper.

Here is the rim drawing. I did not have a rim without a tire so some stuff I guessed but it is close enough. All the stuff from the caliper side is correct to the degree I could measure with rulers etc.

http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/AS...Rim%5B1%5D.pdf

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok I got permission from Kodiak to post their drawing. If there are any photoshop wizards out there how about overlaying the two images.

http://www.motorcycleproducts.org/AS...isk-Brakes.pdf

Now all we need is a drawing from Dexter.

Perry
Old 08-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok here is the overlay. You can see the interference at the top.

Perry
Old 08-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Ok here is the overlay. You can see the interference at the top.

Perry
Hi, maybe longer lug studs and a 1/2" wheel spacer?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Thanks for the drawing, Perry!

Nice job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, maybe longer lug studs and a 1/2" wheel spacer?
Sort of defeats the purpose of getting wheels with the correct offset.

I would think that if you are really married to using these particular aluminum wheels, perhaps conversion to disks is not an option.

Of course, if you were getting new wheels, 16" ones should really take care of the problem.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Yeah tell me about it. Here is the drawing with the Dexter Envelope. It does not look like it will work with these older rims. So unless some one can actually try the parts out then I am not going to bite on going with disks.

Andy where are you? Any other dealers found a way to put disks on these older rims?

Spacers would require longer studs and they are pressed into the rotor hubs. So this would be a major pain. Does anyone make rims that will fit our trailers and are strong enough to handle side loads when parking on concrete?

Perry

Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
A big hammer will take care of the wheel studs - have done this a few times on drums.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:43 AM   #48
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
This is just a suggestion, but since you are spending this money for a disc brake upgrade, why not spend the money and get new wheels at the same time?
Old 08-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok give me options on wheels? The first step was determining if the wheels I have would work or not.

Perry
Old 08-30-2012, 06:04 AM   #50
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
I'm pretty sure these wheels are the same as Airstream used from around 2000-2007. I couldn't find a drawing of them however.
Nice work on the drawings and disc brake research.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Thanks TOP. I am thinking of going to 16" rims which will allow me to use better tires and reduce the chance of clearance problems. I probably won't do this with till my current tires need replacing. The advantage of staying with 15" rims would be I can use the old tires on my flatbed utility trailer since it does not get used much.

Perry
Old 10-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Our experience has shown that the Kodiak brakes with the Carlisle actuator, works the best.

Andy
Andy,
Any feedback on Carlisle actuator and Carlisle HBA-CAM 381-7063 -( The HydraStar controller adapter module that makes HydraStar electric-over-hydraulic brake actuators compatible with Ford factory controller (2007 - 2008) and GM/Chevrolet/Factory (2007 - 2011) electric brake controllers per Carlisle publication) combo as a solution to the GMC 2012 Intergrated brake controller incompatibility with AS 2006 classic disc brake. It's a more expensive route compared to an after market brake controller like P3, Maxbrake or directlink. If I have to change my Actibrake actuator in near future, I want to consider all my options now and spend smart if there is anything as such. Thanks.
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #53
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by F450Harley View Post
Andy,
Any feedback on Carlisle actuator and Carlisle HBA-CAM 381-7063 -( The HydraStar controller adapter module that makes HydraStar electric-over-hydraulic brake actuators compatible with Ford factory controller (2007 - 2008) and GM/Chevrolet/Factory (2007 - 2011) electric brake controllers per Carlisle publication) combo as a solution to the GMC 2012 Intergrated brake controller incompatibility with AS 2006 classic disc brake. It's a more expensive route compared to an after market brake controller like P3, Maxbrake or directlink. If I have to change my Actibrake actuator in near future, I want to consider all my options now and spend smart if there is anything as such. Thanks.
I do not have any info on the controllers.

Sorry.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Thank you Andy
F450Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:59 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Our experience has shown that the Kodiak brakes with the Carlisle actuator, works the best.

Andy
Andy

Have their been any changes/improvements in disc brake components in the last 18 months? Does your conversion kit still come with Kodiak brakes and a
Carlisle actuator? Do you know what components the factory uses when it installs disc brake conversions?

It is time to replace axles and brakes in my Tradewind and I really don't want to install new drum brakes. I would much prefer disc brakes.

Thanks, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #56
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Discs

Dan,
I know you asked Andy, and I'm sure he'll tell you all you need to know about what he recommends and sells, I just thought I'd share with you some things I've recently researched for a customer.
Since you are replacing the axles, you might consider new Dexter axles with Dexter disc brakes. They will come fully assembled. Dexter discs are 4 piston, opposing caliper design. Very similar in design to big brake kits from Brembo, Stop-Tech and others. They are highly recommended by Uwe. Uwe has installed many disc brake axles and completed many more conversions. The Dexter disc brakes cost more than the Kodiaks.
The factory or Airstream Dealer installed disc brake conversions that I have seen are all Kodiak with the problematic Actibrake actuator. I have always replaced faulty Actibrake actuators with the Carlisle actuator. I do not know what the factory service center is currently installing. Call them and ask, they'll tell you. 937-596-6111 ext 7413
The Kodiak disc brakes are a single piston floating caliper design, and while they are many times better than any electric drum, they do require proper periodic maintenance and lubrication of the caliper bushings with the proper silicone grease, such as Sil-Glyde, to keep them in tip top shape. This will prevent the caliper from sticking and ruining the hub/rotor assy. You are a hands on guy, so this won't be a challenge for you, I'm sure.
I also spoke with a man that works at one of the largest distributors of trailer parts in the US. He recommended the Dexter actuator over the Carlisle based on the number of returns. He also said the Carlisle was getting better, but still had more returns than the Dexter.
I'm sure for your small Trade Wind, you'd have no problems with the Kodiak brakes. The 12" Kodiaks are rated for axles up to #6,000. The 10" Kodiaks are rated for axles up to #3,500. The problem with the 10" discs is that they would require you to get new wheels with 5x4.5" bolt pattern. That is for both Kodiak and Dexter 10" discs.
I'd also check with Colin Hyde to see what Al-Ko/Axis has to offer. I've installed a few Al-Ko/Axis axles over the last few years, just not any with disc brakes.
Good luck!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #57
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
I'd also check with Colin Hyde to see what Al-Ko/Axis has to offer. I've installed a few Al-Ko/Axis axles over the last few years, just not any with disc brakes.
Good luck![/QUOTE]

Al-Ko Axis axles come with Kodiak disc brake assemblies if you request discs. Dexter disc brake assemblies will fit Al-Ko Axis axles if that system is preferable.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote