Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2005, 12:22 PM   #1
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Disc breaks on 2005's

I recall reading on another thread that Airstream is now installing disc breaks on the Classic's starting earlier this year (2005). Does anyone know if they are installing them on all coaches or just classics? Are they optional on other models, i.e. CCD's and Safari's?
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Bend , Oregon
Recently I spoke with AS customer service and learned they are standard on Classics but can be installed on Safari at AS custom plant next door to the factory. Cost about $2000.
jfowler218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:46 PM   #3
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Are they worth the extra $2K?
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:40 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Clearly, discs are far better than drums...that's a known fact. As for the cost, it was my understanding that these systems did cost about $2k, so that price, though expensive, seems about right for a complete system, let alone for one that is installed.

I wonder where they put the brake fluid tank on the non Classics. If I recall the tank is in the storage box on the A frame of the Classics, which is the dual battery box on the non Classics and has 2 batteries with no room for brake fluid tank.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 06:27 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

The ActiBrake disc brake system costs about $2200 installed for double axle at the Factory Service Center . The largest portion is taken up by installation as it takes approx.9-11 hrs to remove old brakes and install the new system. The actuator can be installed in any exterior compartment,the wiring and hydraulic lines need to be routed to the area. The question as to wether it is worth it depends on how much you travel and where (mountains, etc.).
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
I don't think there is any question as to Disc brake systems being better. But if you look at what happen to the prices when they when into production I think you'll find the price was not $2000 as some here say. We bought an early 2005 25' classic, MSRP $55.995. The later models with Disc $59,775. If my math is correct this is closser to $4000. than $2000. Unless this price increase includes something I'm unaware of that's a lot for a set of brakes. Personally I glad to have purchased mine when I did.--Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Retrofit by dealer $1700

I was quoted ~$1700 by our dealer service manager to put the factory kit on our trailer. He also said that the latest news on supported controllers was the integrated controller in the Ford Super Duty and the Prodigy (the latter is a change from a thread going around a week or so ago). I am contemplating...
Cheers,
KL

PS - I should also add this is very preliminary as the dealer's shop is not tooled up to do this yet.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
silverback.

Perhaps that dealer is not aware that it takes, ball park, plus or minus, ten hours, to remove an electric brake sysytem and install the disc brake system.

Airstream says 10 hours, if they start with naked axles.

Installing the hydraulic lines themselves can be a challenging enough, so that you do not have the steel lines subjected to anymore, than is absolutely, exposure to damage from rocks and/or a tire blow out. Then additional wiring must be safely added to the trailer, as well.

Additionally, what system will that new dealer use, as there are several on the market?

Like many things, disc brake setups are available in good, better and best qualities.

Keeping with the system that Airstream uses, assures an owner of top quality components at a fair price.

We started installing the same system that the factory uses, about a year before they did, with superior results.

I seriously doubt that any commercial operation can install a tandem Actibrake and Kodiak system properly, and only charge $1700.00, as there is much more to it than meets the eye, along with an experience factor of the installation, that must be complied with, or else.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:47 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

After a few installs the 10 hour labor quote will decrease with experience.
Sounds like the dealer is quoting without installing the system yet.

I am sure Airstream will give their dealer a lot of support on installation.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
re dealer quote

Andy & Louie,
Our dealer will be installing the factory kit that uses the Actibrake and Kodiak system. The service manager showed me the factory documentation and a DVD (?). And like I said they're not tooled up or trained yet. Regarding price, what does your shop charge Andy? Anyhow if I go for it I'm pretty sure I don't want to be their first retrofit customer. Even for a price break.
KL
Old 06-14-2005, 10:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Silverback

We cannot quote prices on our parts or services, on this site.

Please look for a PM.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote