Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
disc brake question

On our 77 sovereign, the vacuum over hydraulic disc brake system is operating less than desired in that it is wearing the brake pads unevenly and my question is whether this is common or not. Does anyone have this settup and experience with these brakes?Anyone?Anyone? also, Since I am now needing to replace brake pads and have the rotors turned. Another question: Is it difficult to remove the rotors myself or should I have this done by a brake shop?
thanks,
wayne
wayne.yl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.yl
On our 77 sovereign, the vacuum over hydraulic disc brake system is operating less than desired in that it is wearing the brake pads unevenly and my question is whether this is common or not. Does anyone have this settup and experience with these brakes?Anyone?Anyone? also, Since I am now needing to replace brake pads and have the rotors turned. Another question: Is it difficult to remove the rotors myself or should I have this done by a brake shop?
thanks,
wayne
They are not difficult to service.

The pads do somewhat wear at an angle.

Be sure to check the synchronizing valve for leaks.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I actually took down one of my old pads to the local auto shop and found there are pads which are very close to the originals and you have to only grind off some little metal ears that interfere. Can be done quickly with bench or hand grinder. Much cheaper than buying the originals from Inland. Yes they wear uneven that is why I rotate mine about half way thru their life cycle.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
turning rotors

The hubs and rotors are combined and are not available new,sooo...
Machine them when absolutely necessary and not otherwise.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM
The hubs and rotors are combined and are not available new,sooo...
Machine them when absolutely necessary and not otherwise.
Are you saying that if my rotors are worn beyond turning, then I am stuck. Surely somebody has rotors for this year and model.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If you can find them they will be expensive (unless some one had them they have taken off the trailer and have not discarded yet). Most owners of this system have switched to electrics because of the difficulty and expense of keeping these systems up. I did it. Electrics work acceptably and any shop will have parts and can do the work on them. For less than $400 in parts. You can do the conversion yourself in less than five hours. It is only five bolts per wheel and running the wires.

You might be able to find someone at the International in the next two weeks who is at the garage sale or posting parts on the bulliton board.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Are you saying that if my rotors are worn beyond turning, then I am stuck. Surely somebody has rotors for this year and model.
Don't know the parts availability new. My guess is the rotors may be available from the axle manufacture. Determine that and check them out. Henschen???If not then used would be the only source other than making something else work. Drum - design your own - find a rotor assy that will fit the spindle.

And yes when the rotors are too thin, it's time to replace the hub and rotor assembly since it is one piece design.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-21-2006, 10:22 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Brake padd question

CAn you tell me the make of the pad? i took it to local brake shop and they didnt have a catalog to compare pictures w/ what I have. They need the make of vehicle it came of off. Any thoughts?
thanks,
wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
I actually took down one of my old pads to the local auto shop and found there are pads which are very close to the originals and you have to only grind off some little metal ears that interfere. Can be done quickly with bench or hand grinder. Much cheaper than buying the originals from Inland. Yes they wear uneven that is why I rotate mine about half way thru their life cycle.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

We have about all the remaining parts for the original disc brake system used by Airstream.

However, in spite of our efforts, we have never been able to find a replacement for the original rotors.

One solution, is to install a new disc brake system on the orifginal axles.

Andy
Old 06-21-2006, 11:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
CAn you tell me the make of the pad? i took it to local brake shop and they didnt have a catalog to compare pictures w/ what I have. They need the make of vehicle it came of off. Any thoughts?
thanks,
wayne

We have new pads made, using thicker steel, as well as maximizing the pad area.

These have been available for over 10 years.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-028S.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	22585  
Old 06-22-2006, 12:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
That brake pad doesn't look like anything automobile wise that I have ever seen in my repair business .I would recommend to get them from inland ,as
they are correct for the given application .It cannot always be about a cheap
price especially with the brakes ,and I know for a fact ,all brake materials in use are NOT the same durability or quality .If you go to a brake parts house
many times they have specification books covering rotors ,drums etc.
Possibly a rotor might exist ,that is maybe ,that could work .Seems doubtful
though being its a trailer application.Otherwise as Andy says new system
on the original axles .
Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:16 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
New????

I think Scott and Andy are correct - it may be time to install a new disc system on an old axle.

Disc brakes have come a long way and are much more efficent! Additionally, replacement parts for systems like "Kodiak" and "Dexter" are available locally for you.

Just two cents from a retired axle dude!!!!

Regards,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote