Cut wire to brake magnet
While doing the first wheel bearing repacking on our '05 31' Classic I discovered a cut wire inside the hub going to the rear, driverside wheel brake magnet. Apparently during manufacturing of the axle the wires going to the magnet were not secured and were loose enough to get caught in the brake mechanism and cut. I'm assuming this as the alternative seems improbable. All the other wheels had 3 clips holding the wires behind the break shoe actuator arm, this wheel had one secured clip and one unsecured clip. We tow with a F250 crew cab PSD and I never felt any problems in braking in our 8 months and 8000+ miles of towing so I don't know when the wire was severed. It might have been like that upon delivery. Anyway, I repaired the cut wire and thought I would post something just for info on something to check during maintainance. Maybe I'll feel a difference now that I'll have all four brakes working. I also notified Airstream Quality Control about the problem.