Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2002, 03:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

conversion from vacuum/disk to electric brakes

I have a 1977 excella 500 31 foot with vacuum/disc brakes. I have lived in it for 13 plus years and not moved it an inch. Very little rust or deterioration has occurred since it is a dry climate.
This braking system is obsolete and parts are hard to find. I would like to convert to electrics. One dealer tells me that you have to change both axles for a cost of $1600 plus. If I can use the same axles, I could easily install the backing plate kit myself, wire it, and get a hub that will fit.
I measured the backing plate and it is 12 inches. The hole configuration for the bolts looks identical the the kit pictures that I have seen. The axle stem where the bearing seal would stop is exactly 2 inches from the backing plate.
There should be a hub that would fit over the brake shoes.
If someone can confirm that this is possible without changing axles, I would sure appreciate knowing about it.
Also, a part number for a brake drum would be great too.
excelladep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 04:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Factory price quoted to me last year was a little over $1,000 to change all 4 of my discs over to electric drums. Check with Andy at Inland Rv in CA. www.inlandrv.com and he has info on an Airbraker system that mounts on the tongue of your trailer. This eliminates the vacuum source needed from your vehicle. My 4 wheel disc brakes work great. Matter of fact, people look at me strange when I say I have 8 wheel disc brakes, 4 on my 2500hd and 4 on the trailer. Andy does have parts for that system if you are interested. Craig

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 11:54 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Brakes

I have converted my 78 Excella to drum brakes. Check www.al-kousa.com Check 12x2 electric 8000 lb, this what I used, purchased at local Rv dealer. I suspecy Camping Worl may have them-Ira
Ira Iburg is offline   Reply With Quote