Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2021, 09:58 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Breakaway switch question

The lanyard on my breakaway switch got pretty frayed and unpleasant to handle. I bought a generic replacement for it. I know there are probably dozens of suppliers of these switches out there. The one on my Airstream likely came from Amazon a couple of years ago.

The replacement insert snaps in firmly, pretty much like the old one. It's shorter, though, and the ribs on it are shaped differently. Can I consider this a universal part, or should I replace the entire switch?

Bob in Nashville
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I bought a Bargman replacement on Amazon and it looks exactly like the original; cable and switch.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OJC4A4/
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:19 AM   #3
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
If the lanyard was frayed and worn out, the likely the contacts inside the switch are corroded and/or dirty enough to be a concern.

The entire switch is cheap enough, so why wouldn't you just replace the entire thing?
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:16 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I replaced my cable a few years back. The breakaway switch has a manufacturer and model stamped onto the cover. Was able to easily find the exact pin and cable assembly for that model switch at an Internet RV supply house. I did test the new pin after replacing the old one and found it worked perfectly.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 06:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I bought a Bargman replacement on Amazon and it looks exactly like the original; cable and switch.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OJC4A4/
Did you splice into the wires or go all of the way back to connection

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I just replaced my breakaway switch with this Fastway one. I suspect it'll need replacement every 3-4 years; being on the tongue it sees lots of water and, eventually, corrosion. I like the coiled cable a lot better.

Spliced into the wires, waterproof butt connectors and shrink tubing over the connectors. Original wire was in a corrugated wire loom and I suspect is totally fine. Next time I'll put some connectors on the leads to make it easier to switch out (will still use shrink tubing though). They make good, durable, weatherproof connectors for use on ATVs and so forth.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
I like these coiled ones. I found these when I towed a car with my motor home. This was the first thing I bought for my new Airstream. You just use a pair of diagonals to cut the old lanyard away and thread the round key ring thing in its place. The carabiner just clips next to your safety chains on the tow vehicle. The coiled cable stays out of the way of all the hardware in your hitch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
Did you splice into the wires or go all of the way back to connection

Gary
I believe I spliced into the wires. It's been a while, mid-2020, but I don't recall that I had much of a problem replacing the old switch. I was painting the A-frame and removed most of everything so I could paint. It's possible there was already butt splices on the wires and I just cut off the old ones and put in new. I don't recall where the wires lead to.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
I like these coiled ones. I found these when I towed a car with my motor home. This was the first thing I bought for my new Airstream. You just use a pair of diagonals to cut the old lanyard away and thread the round key ring thing in its place. The carabiner just clips next to your safety chains on the tow vehicle. The coiled cable stays out of the way of all the hardware in your hitch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I was 100% in agreement with everything you said....until I saw you got the 6' coily. I always read the 6' was for fifth wheels and the 4' for bumper pull trailers. My fear is the coil is pretty firm and I'm concerned it will pull out on a sharp turn.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Nope. Completely out of the way of everything. I’ve just got back from Topsail in Destin. 430 miles I think each way and no issues. I occasionally flip the backup camera just to see how the stuff on the hitch riding. The 4K would probably work too, I just happened to have this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I was 100% in agreement with everything you said....until I saw you got the 6' coily. I always read the 6' was for fifth wheels and the 4' for bumper pull trailers. My fear is the coil is pretty firm and I'm concerned it will pull out on a sharp turn.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Ohio
Ideally, you want the cable on the breakaway to pull the pin on the switch before the chains are fully extended and catch the trailer. That way the trailer brakes are on when the chains are extended and you can brake the tow vehicle without the trailer smashing into the rear of the to vehicle. You're going to have a wild ride if the chains reach full extension and the trailer brakes aren't set. You'll need to shorten the cable so that the pin will pull just before the chains catch. There will still be plenty of cable to prevent it from pulling the pin when making turns.

Old 08-08-2021, 07:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
Never knew that. I thought it was just if the trailer completely breaks away. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrowne View Post
Ideally, you want the cable on the breakaway to pull the pin on the switch before the chains are fully extended and catch the trailer. That way the trailer brakes are on when the chains are extended and you can brake the tow vehicle without the trailer smashing into the rear of the to vehicle. You're going to have a wild ride if the chains reach full extension and the trailer brakes aren't set. You'll need to shorten the cable so that the pin will pull just before the chains catch. There will still be plenty of cable to prevent it from pulling the pin when making turns.