Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2003, 07:21 AM   #21
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
sounds good but....

gene just don't forget to plug it in.

i'm a firm believer in keeping things simple, leads to less human error.

i would complete your repair and leave it wired the way it is.

if it screws up again, just replace it. they are common and inexpensive. no one would belittle you for having a non vintage break away switch! it is a safety item, for you and fellow drivers on the road.

if there is any doubt to it's ability to function get a new one!

they make plastic ones that will not corrode.

and you can still get metal ones with the brass pin, except they have added an o ring to the pin to keep water out of the switch when it is installed.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 10:09 AM   #22

We have just bought a plastic Tekonsha brake controller.

Mike wants to know if it will help to stuff it with some kind of grease to water-proof it?
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 06:24 AM   #23
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Andy says:
Quote:
Testing the breakaway switch should be done often.
Pull the pin, pull forward a few feet, and if the switch is working, it will apply full braking. Remember though, you have 5 minutes to reinstall the pin, or you will burn up the magnets.
I found this post during a search and this is exactly what I was looking for. I hope folks don't mind the bump as testing the breakaway switch is not as intuitive as it sounds.

And note what Apple1 says:

Quote:
If you have a Tekonsha Prodigy brake control, Disconnect the trailer plug from the tow vehicle before testing the breakway switch or you could destroy the Prodigy controler.
Thanks guys.

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 07:07 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

I will say it again......
YES.........you need a brake away switch!

I replace mine about every 5 years just because.

Be sure you solder the wires and seal them well with 3M liquid electrical tape or heat shrink.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:44 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

For those of us who have the new electronic brake controller such as the Prodigy, I would suggest that you make the brake away cable slightly longer than your electrical cord between your tow vehicle and your trailer. You want your cord to seperate before your safety brake cable, to save your Prodigy Controller.

Your electrical cord is going to break either way so why not save your controller.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:04 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Diana Langley
I don't seem to have a break-away switch. When I bought my '65 Globetrotter, it was advertised: "New axle to add electric brakes". I have the brakes, but is a break-away switch something I need to have put in?

I'm under the impression that electric brakes were not included in 1965, and this was an upgrade by the PO.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Diana Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 03:09 PM   #27
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
electric brakes

DL,

My '66 Overlander came with electric brakes. And I believe your unit did also. I thought hydrallic was stopped in '64. I may be wrong and some one else could verify.

Anyway a break away switch should be mounted on the trailer tongue close to the front. It will have a thin wire cable that is attached to the tow vehicle. Should the tow vehicle and the trailer become seperated the thin cable will pull out a pin. This will activate the brakes assuming you have a working 12V battery on your trailer and it's hooked up.

And if you do not have one, yes you should get one. It is a safety devise and some states require it.

>>>>>>>>Action