Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #1

Rock Hill , State
Breakaway brakes

My switch is not working. If I cut the wires off the switch does that kill the power to the brakes. Or is the switch normal closed or normal open. I would think it would be normal open. Am leaving in the morning and can stop and get a new one about 50 miles down the road and put it on. Thanks, if anyone can please let me know
Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The switch provides battery (trailer) power to the brakes in case of a disconnect. Disconnecting it will not effect normal brake operation.

Two things to be aware of:
  1. One of the lines will have 12 volts from the trailer battery.
  2. Pulling the pin with the trailer connected to the TV may damage certain brake controllers. I have been told that prodigy brake controllers could be damaged, but have no first hand proof.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
It's a normally open switch. When the cable pulls the plug, the contacts close and supply 12 VDC to the brakes.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2011 19' Victorinox
Beverly Hills , California
Breakaway using power if pulled

I pulled my breakaway switch out temporarily (two weeks), to replace the lanyard. Can having the breakaway out, while the trailer is parked, but battery in "use" position cause a drain on the battery? Trying to discern what else could have drained my battery. Thanks for the insight!
James
andertonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by andertonj View Post
I pulled my breakaway switch out temporarily (two weeks), to replace the lanyard. Can having the breakaway out, while the trailer is parked, but battery in "use" position cause a drain on the battery? Trying to discern what else could have drained my battery. Thanks for the insight!
James

yes.

you might also need to be checking your brakes, as the electromagnets might be also be burned out.

the breakaway switch applies full available power to the brakes when you pull the pin....

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:11 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2011 19' Victorinox
Beverly Hills , California
Breakaway Pin

I suspected that was what was up. I'd left the battery disconnected, giving occasional charges through the winter, and replacing the pin lanyard was one of those maintenance items before taking her out. Some point, I reconnected the battery, without thinking it all the way through.... I'll definitely get the brakes checked out. The newbie lessons never cease! Thanks for the response!
James
andertonj is offline   Reply With Quote