Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #1

2016 22' Sport
Independence , California
braking without brake controller

Hello all! This is probably a dumb question, but will my brakes actually work without the brake controller? I have a 2016 22fb Bambi. Our usual tow vehicle (Dodge Ram 1500) is in the shop for service and the electronic wireless brake controller is in the Dodge.
We have a campsite reserved tomorrow up the hill. we were planning on towing her up with the Land Rover, and towing her back out with the Dodge later in the week. Will the brakes work with the electric trailer cord plugged in or does the wireless controller have to be in the vehicle?
I really appreciate your help.....
DeenaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Your trailer brakes are controlled by a controller. If there is no controller in the tv there will be no trailer brakes while towing.

If your trailer has the receiving portion of the brake controller mounted on the trailer it should be easy to just take the TV section out of the Dodge and use it in the other TV.

This may answer your question.

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...sha/90250.html

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:50 AM   #3

2016 22' Sport
Independence , California
Thank you. I really appreciate the help.... Sadly, our Dodge is over 300 miles away.
Tent camping it is....
DeenaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I know independence is not a large city by any stretch, and this is Sunday...but I would try anyway possible to buy, borrow, rent or steal another brake controller to mount in the LR even if you have to leave a little late on Monday so not to leave the TT at home and tent camp.
Just my $.02

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Jacksonville , Arkansas
For some added detail, the trailer brakes are electric. When you press the pedal, the brake controller sends electric signal to trailer. (car brakes are hydraulic) Most brake controllers also have a "manual" lever or button, so the driver can activate the trailer brakes by hand. This is useful to keep trailer in line during downhill runs, but should be used judiciously, paying close attention to how the trailer is tracking.
In a pinch, a borrowed controller, to be used manually, is better than no controller.
Also, you might look at the owners manual of the Land Rover. Many American trucks and cars will list a weight limit for a trailer that does not have it's own brakes. Most cars limit trailer weight to 1000, and trucks list 2000. If you have to make serious brake applications, the LR brakes could get hot quickly because of the extra load. If they get TOO hot, they quick working.
Short distance, level terrain, uncontested traffic-- maybe OK.
Heavy traffic with steep hills going down, --very risky.
Deeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenaD View Post
electronic wireless brake controller is in the Dodge.
Which brake controller do you have? If you have the Prodigy RF then you do not need the wireless controller for the brakes to work, it is only required for manually applying the brakes or adjusting how much force the brakes apply. I wouldn't recommend a long tow or any towing at highway speeds without the remote, however if it is just a short drive at low speed "up the hill" then you are probably OK.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:59 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
Interesting conversation.
My 67 Caravel weighs about#2800 fully loaded. My tow vehicle is a VW Touareg V10 TDI which weighs a few#s shy of 6000#'s and has an 8200# tow rating. It has massive Brembro brakes stock from the factory. I just bought a P2 and evidently the car is pre wired but I have yet to find the connection.The VW dealer gave up but the factory says it's there.It's under the dash somewhere and it's up to me to find it. If the tow vehicle is over twice the weight of the trailer, how important is an electrical controller if one drives carefully? I know the answer is to hook up the P2 but I'm looking for the threshold.
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanster View Post
My 67 Caravel weighs about#2800 fully loaded. My tow vehicle is a VW Touareg V10 TDI which weighs a few#s shy of 6000#'s and has an 8200# tow rating. It has massive Brembro brakes stock from the factory. I just bought a P2 and evidently the car is pre wired but I have yet to find the connection.The VW dealer gave up but the factory says it's there.It's under the dash somewhere and it's up to me to find it. If the tow vehicle is over twice the weight of the trailer, how important is an electrical controller if one drives carefully? I know the answer is to hook up the P2 but I'm looking for the threshold.
How does having a vehicle that is capable of stopping itself keep a trailer from passing the trailer when the TV does stop successfully? What is the threshold for disaster to strike? It really depends on many variables, but any emergency braking could easily result in the trailer passing you...especially on lower traction surfaces, with any side wind, or any curve being navigated. Regardless of those factors, the weight/momentum of the trailer is likely not balanced side to side to even under "ideal" conditions it could happen.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:09 AM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanster View Post
Each state sets a guideline (law) that requires the use of brakes on a towed trailer. California according to this website is 1500 lbs.

When traveling to a different state, you must comply with that states requirement.
http://www.brakebuddy.com/towing-laws.html

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Freehold , New York
vanster.....try removing the panel above your pedals and with a bright light look for a gray foam bundle that has wire in it. Maybe 6" long by 11/2" or so in size tucked way up . Then you also need to get or make an adapter to fit the brake controller plug.
mikedebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:27 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Vernon , Arizona
RF Wireless Brake Controller

This is what I use to easily move back and forth between my vehicles. It is extremely easy to install and you just move the car portion back and forth between cars.

I have towed over 1k miles and zero issues to date.

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contr...sha/90250.html
Old 06-04-2018, 11:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Have an electric break controller added to the Range Rover.
Problem solved. Go Airstream camping.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I know what it's like to tow a trailer with electric brakes without a controller.
You have no trailer brakes. With a large tow vehicle, it's manageable until you get into an emergency stop, then not only can you not stop as quickly, but the trailer is shoving you ahead or passing you.
You need all the other driver's on the road to cooperate with you. They won't. As well as the weather. It won't.
If you think you can wire the electric brakes to to the taillights, the brakes will lock up instantly. The controller will send a smaller voltage to the brakes.
The bottom line is if I had to move a trailer a short distance over back roads, at low speed, I might consider it carefully.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote