Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Braking Weak

During the last two pulls of our 30' Classic, the trailer brakes have seemed to be weak. I use the Tekonsha Voyager brake controller and the indicator light does not go as red as it used to during braking.

Last night I jacked up one side of the trailer and pulled the emergency brake actuator pin. I attempted to turn the wheels by hand and the rear one locked up so I could not move it; the front wheel was difficult, but never locked up completely.

Wondering if my magnets need replacing.

Comments??

Thanks all!
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Sounds like a brake inspection and adjustment may be in order. Do you adjust the brakes periodically?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Good question, it could just be the adjustment. I checked the adjustment just over a year ago when I installed new wheels/tires. I will do an inspection.

Thanks for the idea (in this day and age, I forget about manually adjusting brakes).
Old 08-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
OK, I have performed the manual adjustment of the brakes on one side of the trailer. First I jacked up the trailer (Port side) and spun the wheels and they were free.

I then pulled the emergency brake actuator; the wheels continued to be able to spin freely. I am now confused, so I pulled the wheels and brake drums. The magnets are worn looking. Not sure if there is a specification for how worn they should be allowed to be. Anyway, I pulled the emergency brake actuator again and tested the magnets with a screw driver; the magnets are being energized. My guess is that they are worn enough so they do not contact the drum and, therefore, actuate the brakes.

So, I put it back together and adjusted the brakes. The brake linings are getting thin, so I need new linings as well, so I am in the process of selecting fully assembled backing plates as replacements.

Do I need to get new drums too?? Or I can get the old ones turned.

Regards,
David