Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Angry Brakes grabbing randomly

I have a brand new Flying Could 25FBQ towed by the also new RAM 2500 with built in brake controller. It would work fine with gain set to about 8-8.5 (following all the procedures in manual, controller set to “electric light”). Randomly, I have one of the wheels (not always the same one) grabbing while breaking, to the point of the tire rubber smoking. Have to dial in the controller down to about 1.5 to alleviate it. At that point my breaking is mostly with the truck brakes... Yesterday we drove almost 300 miles with no problems only to start experiencing it while rolling through town... Anyone having similar issues?
Bartek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:55 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Bartek,

The brake signal by design is common to all of your trailer brakes. One wire, one signal connected to all trailer wheels. If one is acting up might be time to raise that side of the trailer and spin the wheel and listen to it spinning. A slight buffing dragging sound is normal but a sound like metal marbles rolling around not good.

Maybe have a helper listen to your rig at a safe spot while you're stopping and see if you get any feedback there.

You have self adjusting or manual adjusting brakes? Check your manual. the self adjusters should take care of themselves but it is possible one or more are out of adjustment range and need a catch up adjustment. And one of my go to tools for early brake inspection is an infra red point and shoot thermometer. Braking makes heat. No heat = no braking if you've run a few miles and make some stops. I look for uniformity rather than a "spec".

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
On a previous trailer I had too much slack in the umbilical, so I used a bungee cord to keep the middle from dragging. One day I forgot to set it up, and the cord wore through until a hot wire was contacting the brake wire. That got my attention!
It’s not likely to be the case here, since only one brake is grabbing, but check the integrity of your tow vehicle connection.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote