Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2002, 04:48 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Brakes good enough?

Another question on brakes, I'm looking at a unit that has been sitting for a decade and a half. How would I verify that the brakes will work well enough to tow it 500 miles home? It was suggested hooking up 12V and listen for the magnets to energize, is this good enough? I would pull the drums and knock off the surface rust of course. Any suggestions?
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 06:31 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
new tires? repack and inspect bearings? then test it on a short trip. see if the brakes work. then go from there....

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 07:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I would hitch up the trailer and drag it around the block slowly while energizing the brake controller on full power manually. You should feel them grab. Do this for a couple of minutes then go back and feel the hubs, they should be all be warm if they work.
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 10:03 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Wayne County , Michigan
Would you chance trailering it if only 2 or 3 out of the 4 brakes worked? I'll be 550 miles from my garage and over an hour waway from the nearest rv dealer(in case it needs repairs) when I test it and very limited on time. I know it wouldn't probably be recommended, but ...
Old 10-14-2002, 10:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Brakes Good Enough

With an empty trailer, brakes working on one axle would be preferrable to three brakes working - - that odd brake on one axle would tend to cause some unpredictability in stopping. I had a similar situation with my Overlander when one of the brakes on the front axle decided to lock-up with even modest application of the brakes which caused the entire vehicle to pull toward the curb - - I suspect that that third brake might tend to cause a push/pull to the side with the greater braking application.

An alternative might be to schedule an appointment with the RV dealer that is an hour away and have him check the brakes at that point. It might also be reassuring to know that all is functioning properly with the hitch and wheel bearings. When I purchased my Argosy in August, I made certain that the tail lights were fully functional and towed it the first 200 miles at minimal speed (under 50 MPH), stopping every 50 miles to check for hot bearings and tire condition - - using only lightly traveled secondary roads. I had an appointment with an RV dealer to fully check the brakes, hitch, and repack the bearings. I was uneasy with the situation, but all went well.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 02:05 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Wayne County , Michigan
Thanks for the info Kevin, might look into getting it to the dealer, if i buy it. It's going to be a project to move it. It doesn't have any sway bar attachments.Has the original tires, from 1967, hasn't been moved in over 10 years, and I believe I'll have to re-wire a new plug, due to the fact it won't match what's currently on my Chevy. I just hope it's worth the 8 hour drive to look at. It's amazing what one will do in the pursuit of aluminum!

Thanks,
Jason
Old 10-14-2002, 02:37 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Brakes Good Enough?

Greetings Jason!

Don't let the rewiring of the umbilical cord connector be too much of a worry. I am a complete klutz when it comes to wiring, and I was able to figure it out on my Argosy.

As long as it has been sitting, the tires will definitely be a concern, but it is really hard to predict the condition of brakes and bearings. I would also anticipate needing replacement bulbs for nearly all of the exterior lights.

I hope that you are pleasantly surprised by the condition of the trailer.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 03:43 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Wayne County , Michigan
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I've got my fingers crossed. I figured this trip, if I buy it, to try and power up the lights and brakes thru jumpers. Gonna have to make a second trip to get it. I'll post if it's a successful trip.

Take Care,

Jason