Old 02-11-2019, 06:58 AM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Brake springs...

I have noticed that sporadically one of my wheel hubs is running about 40-50 degrees warmer than the other 3 wheels. I did the lower spring adjustments on all 4 wheels (first time in 15 or so years) and last wheel bearing repack I lubed the moving parts of the brake (not the shoes) on the one wheel hub that seems to have an on and off higher temp than the other 3. Appeared to be happy....or so I thought.....

Post adjustment and lube, the hub at first seemed to be fine and matching the temps of the other 3 hubs, even after a 1500 mile trip. Next leg of the trip, the one hub started to again show about 40-50 degrees warmer. I noticed that if I backed up the trailer a few feet, and went off on my way, the temps would then again be normal for a while, but the higher temp would eventually resurface. Not sure backing up really helped, but the 2-3x I tried this, the issue seemed to go away on this one questionable wheel-- maybe a coincidence?!

I've never worked on electric RV brakes, but it would seem to me that this one hub may have a brake that is randomly sticking? Not full force, but enough where it may not be fully retracting the pads after use (seeing that the issue is so random). The temp is not to the point where I am worried it will cook the grease and seize the wheel, but anytime I see abnormal hub temps, I get concerned. Using my infrared thermometer, the higher heat is far more predominant on the outside of the hub, not anywhere near the center, which is why I think it's brake related and not a bearing issue.

For all you running gear gurus out there, do you think at the next wheel bearing repack (this spring), would it be a good idea to replace the brake springs on that one wheel or do you think there is some other thing I should be looking at?
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote