Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2004, 10:25 PM   #1
gtr
1 Rivet Member

Brake shoes for 59 Tradewind???

I am restoring a 1959 22 foot tradewind and I need new slave cylendar kits and shoes. It is a single axle. Are shoes and slave kits still available and where do I purchase them. Who manufactured the axel and brakes so I know how to ask for replacements. I also need a good aftermarket hydraulic brake actuator (Bulldog) for the trailer tounge. Is hydraulic actuator superior to electric?? I also need new rims. Mine are 6 lug--What manufacturer fits my drums??? I am new to all this so Any help would be appreciated. My e-mail is static9@charter.net---Thanks a bunch!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 08:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr
Who manufactured the axel and brakes so I know how to ask for replacements. I also need a good aftermarket hydraulic brake actuator (Bulldog) for the trailer tounge. Is hydraulic actuator superior to electric?? I also need new rims. Mine are 6 lug--What manufacturer fits my drums??? I am new to all this so Any help would be appreciated. My e-mail is static9@charter.net---Thanks a bunch!!!
It is likely that the axle and backing plates were manufactured by Hadco. I'm sorry I don't have more information as my brakes were electric. Here's a website: http://www.hadcoengineering.com/

Please contact Flyfsher as he is keeping a registry of '59 Tradewind owners.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=9699
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
gtr

Don't waste time trying to repair the hydraulic brakes. The front slave cylinder was deemed obsolete and at this point, illegal to hook up to any motor vehicle that has a dual brake system, which took place some 25 years ago.

You can replace the brakes with 12 volt electric brakes. However, you might have to have the outer edge of the hub and drum assembly cut down so that the drum does not hit the backing plates.

The brakes you need are 12 inch.

Or, shortly, a disc brake system will be available, which is far superior to any electric brake system ever designed.

The wheels must be a minimum of 2600 pound rating, and the bolt pattern is 6 on 5 1/2. We have them if you can't find them locally.
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 09:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
gtr

You can replace the brakes with 12 volt electric brakes. However, you might have to have the outer edge of the hub and drum assembly cut down so that the drum does not hit the backing plates.

The brakes you need are 12 inch.

Or, shortly, a disc brake system will be available, which is far superior to any electric brake system ever designed.

The wheels must be a minimum of 2600 pound rating, and the bolt pattern is 6 on 5 1/2. We have them if you can't find them locally.
Another thing that Andy forgot to mention (and which he first made me aware of) is that the original axle spindles are 'marginal' for the weight of your trailer. I replaced my entire axle with a heavier Dexter axle. Most conversions seem to prefer new Henschen torsion axles. Plenty of information on both in this forum. Andy (InlandRV) can supply you with a complete conversion.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote