Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 06:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Rochester , New York
Brake Repair

We have 1 or 4 brake rotors that is visibly scored on the inside and outside - drivers side front if that makes a difference. Brake grabbed and released while parking in storage facility yesterday afternoon. We also hear a rubbing/dragging noise, especially when driving slowly (road noise may be masking sound when driving faster). The other three rotors look fine. Do we need to replace all the rotors/pads of just on the one?

2008 31 foot Classic
CharlieSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Charlie,

I think my first question would be why is one brake dragging? Here's a few things I'd check. This would require raising that side of the trailer and pulling the wheel.

Also, assumption is Dexter 4 piston calipers.

The pads are retained by a pin, pull the pin and check if the pads are stuck due to rust or wear on the caliper housing.

with the pads pulled you should be able to easily (relatively) inspect the piston dust boots. If the boots are torn then they can allow water in. The pistons are steel, caliper is cast iron add H2O and = rust. The rust can cause the pistons to not retract slightly, creating drag.

These calipers are repairable if you want to mess with one. The caliper carries the seal and the piston moves across it. The surface of the piston must be unpitted and minor surface rust can possibly be cleaned up. The caliper needs cleaned up too. Dexter sells caliper repair kits, seals and dust boots. After you do one, the next one is easy. When I did mine, the one thing I added was DOT 3 compatible grease on the piston OD, seal, caliper bore and a daub under the dust boot. Theory is that the grease's job is to fight corrosion and prevent sticking like you might be experiencing. Then the fun begins, bleeding them. Got tips for that too but depends on your rig's hose config.

I also carry a IR Temp gun after I had a nasty hot rotor from rust. But been smooth sailing and stopping since my fixes.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Rochester , New York
Thanks for the response. I have an appointment at a local RV dealer to repair - about 2 miles from where the Airstream is stored. I know that when auto brakes are reworked - usually the front brakes, it is recommended to do both sides even if only one is bad. The other three brake rotors look fine - smooth on both sides. Should we rework all four or if we did just the one, would that cause other problems?
CharlieSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Charlie,

IMHO hard to make that call w/o seeing what condition things are in or what is discovered.

The dust boot is a critical item on these due to rust potential. If one boot set has spilt are the others soon to follow? Tough call but sounds plausible.

But this is armchair fixing so far. Somebody has to get dirty to know.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote