Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2006, 04:44 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I installed the Prodigy in my 97 F250 today. Got in a good spot, wired up & all fine so far. Question is do you leave it plugged up all the time? No reason to unplug as it does not seem to draw any power. The leds go out after the power is off a few minutes. Just wondering to be sure though.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:53 PM   #102
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I installed the Prodigy in my 97 F250 today. Got in a good spot, wired up & all fine so far. Question is do you leave it plugged up all the time? No reason to unplug as it does not seem to draw any power. The leds go out after the power is off a few minutes. Just wondering to be sure though.
I leave mine in all the time. I think I would damage the mount or wires if I tried to remove it after every trip. No problems with battery drain, like you stated it times out after a few minutes.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #103
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I've had my Prodigy in place for over four years. Haven't unplugged it once. Works like a champ. Never a dead battery, either. ('course, I'll probably have one in the morning, that said).
-Chuck
funchucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 05:43 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks for the quick replies....I thought so but wanted to be sure. I just need to do the set up routine next to get the braking level right.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 06:06 PM   #105
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Just an FYI I do remove mine on a regular basis. I use it in 3-4 different trucks with 6 different trailers. So far I haven't had any issues with it at all. So taking it in and out doesn't appear to affect it at all. I do use the quick release brackets. The trailers range from a 2500# single axle closed cargo trailer, dual axle dual wheeled equipment goose neck to triple axle that is rated to 28k

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:05 AM   #106
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
Hi Folks...if my issue has already been addressed I apologize for asking,,,
but I need a fix to this problem. Just installed a new Prodigy and drove 1200 miles from Texas to NC with it: When my headlights come on, either automatically or manually, the Prodigy applies the brakes....and the display
reads voltage applied. I have to back it down to 0.0 (no voltage) to keep it
from dragging the brakes. TV is a 2001 Chevy 2500 HD. I'm using the Tekonsha supplied GM wiring harness. Any thoughts? Need to fix this by
Wednesday if possible for the return trip home. Going to call Tekonsha on Monday morning. thanks!
Old 11-26-2006, 11:26 AM   #107
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brow324
Hi Folks...if my issue has already been addressed I apologize for asking,,,
but I need a fix to this problem. Just installed a new Prodigy and drove 1200 miles from Texas to NC with it: When my headlights come on, either automatically or manually, the Prodigy applies the brakes....and the display
reads voltage applied. I have to back it down to 0.0 (no voltage) to keep it
from dragging the brakes. TV is a 2001 Chevy 2500 HD. I'm using the Tekonsha supplied GM wiring harness. Any thoughts? Need to fix this by
Wednesday if possible for the return trip home. Going to call Tekonsha on Monday morning. thanks!
Your brake controller should not know if the lights are on or off. The only thing that I can think of that might cause this problem is you have the wrong cable to the brake controller. They have 2 different cables depending on the year of your GM product. You should have cable #3025 (1999 to 2002). The newer cable (#3015) has the brake sense cable in a different location in the plug. You can verify the location by looking at this:
http://www.tekonsha.com/files/Produc...2020020013.pdf

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #108
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
that makes sense...I think the company I ordered it from sent me the wrong wiring harness. I will take a look at the harness plug to determine if I can move the red wire to the correct socket and call them to have the correct harness sent to me. thanks!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2006, 12:21 PM   #109
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
THANK YOU AZFLYCASTER!!!!!!

I relocated the red wire to the correct socket sleeve for my 01 TV and ran a system test...all is working properly now. Appropriate email also sent to the vendor who sold and shipped that harness to me. Hopefully they will take note of the differences between model year changes as they relate to the wiring harness and maybe prevent future customers from having a brake lockup experience on the highway when the headlights turn on.

THanks again! The sharing of your knowlege is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #110
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
Just a follow up after the 1200 mile trip home:

The Prodigy worked perfectly all the way. thanks again!
Old 01-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #111
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Jefferson Co , Ohio
Just a quick question along the same topic, anyone hear of a (Hayes) genesis brake controller? If so... thoughts?
stonymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:05 AM   #112
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Hayes Genesis Being Installed By Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonymo
Just a quick question along the same topic, anyone hear of a (Hayes) genesis brake controller? If so... thoughts?
We have our '92 Excella in Jackson Center for some upgrades - including disc brakes. Airstream currently installs the Hayes Genesis controller unless you prefer something else. I did not have a controller in mind so I deferred to Airstream. I did ask about the Prodigy since I've heard about it on this forum.

Airstream said the Prodigy will likely work fine with the disc brakes. However, there have been some complaints with Prodigy working properly with the disc brakes. Apparently there have been no complaints with Hayes Genesis working with the disc brake installation.

We'll be picking up the trailer in April. I'll give an update at that time.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:32 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
P# controller

I had only read some of the posts on this thread but when I ran across comments on the Tekonsha P3 it intrigued me. I used a Hayes-Lemmerz Energize III for 4 years with the Hydra-Vac system on my '77 Excella 500 and was very satisfied with it's performance. Performance of the drum braking system on my '86 for the last 3 years has been less than satisfactory. Of course, I get the "Hensley bump" and the brakes do not seem to do that good of a job even they have been thoroughly checked out by the local RV place. I figure that the boost feature present in the Prodigy might help so I ordered the P3 a few minutes ago online. I hope it works as good as it looks.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
The Tekonsha P3 brake controller came in the other day and I wired it up late this afternoon. Quite interesting. PPL Motorhomes had the unit on sale and the package had an additional $20 rebate offer. I'll try to hook the trailer up over the weekend and take it for a spin to dial in the right voltage to the brakes.

A couple other posters have purchased this model. What have been your results so far?

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 06-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #115
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
P3

The P3 is my first experience with a quality controller and I've found it quite nice. The trailer brakes behave as they should and provide adequate stopping power when needed. I've tried (practiced) a few panic stops with great success and have been able to ride the brakes for a short period to slow down a bit on steep declines without the trailer overbraking. Also, the readout screen has a functional (and cool) factor that's great for monitoring what is happening when the brake pedal is pushed. Enjoy!! --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:27 PM   #116
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
The Tekonsha P3 brake controller came in the other day and I wired it up late this afternoon. Quite interesting. PPL Motorhomes had the unit on sale and the package had an additional $20 rebate offer. I'll try to hook the trailer up over the weekend and take it for a spin to dial in the right voltage to the brakes.

A couple other posters have purchased this model. What have been your results so far?
Craig
I purchased the P3 from PPL Motohomes just as you did. They were very helpful and selected the correct cable for me. I have just wired it with great ease but as of yet have not had the oppotunity to check it out. Will keep you updated.
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodedareas
Craig
I purchased the P3 from PPL Motohomes just as you did. They were very helpful and selected the correct cable for me. I have just wired it with great ease but as of yet have not had the oppotunity to check it out. Will keep you updated.
I shortened the cable which came with the P3 and connected it to the Chevy harness which came with the truck. Can't wait to try it out sometime this weekend.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 07-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
P3, Dynabeads, mattress platform improvements

I took the trailer out today to adjust the P3, see how the dynabeads would do in the tires and see if my double bed moved any on the wider platform I made. I adjusted the power all the way to 10 and still couldn't get the brakes to lock up but I can sure tell that the braking action is better with the P3. The mattress didn't move around either so i'm happy in several areas. The dynabeads? I really couldn't tell anything but time will tell when I hit the interstate this next Friday morning for four fun days of fishing, jetskiing and socializing.

I'm wondering how to tell if the dynabeads have helped with balancing short of no rivets popping? It hasn't been a problem except for one rivet holding alum. trim on the ceiling between the refrigerator and side bath bulkhead.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 07-22-2007, 08:23 AM   #119
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
I finally got around to using my new P3. It was excellent. We drove from Illinois to Northern Wisconsin and it performed beyond my expectations. I did not use the extra feature of the Power Boost. But I am considering using it as it might offer a little extra stopping power.I wonder how many of you with the new P3 use the Power Boost feature?
woodedareas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 08:41 AM   #120
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
I'm glad to hear the good reports on the P3. I also bought one with the Nissan wiring pigtail from PPL Motorhomes (great sale price, BTW if you need a new controller) for my new Titan but haven't installed it yet. I had been using the Prodigy which worked well, so I'm curious about comparing the P3's performance. I've used the boost feature with the Prodigy when I had some extra weight in the trailer, so I expect the P3 will do at least as well with this feature.