Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2021, 01:59 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Advice on Trailer Brakes

My brakes on my trailer are not stopping my tow vehicle . I have checked TV plug and had wife apply brakes while I turned trailer wheel. It would never stop the wheel from turning. I could hear humming coming from the hub. I moved controller up to max output and humming got louder and trailer break locked up. I unplugged trailer from TV and plugged back in and it would spin again. I have not pulled the hub yet to look at wires to magnets. I did inspect wires at hubs and all seem good and clean and are connected good. I cleaned both plugs on TV and trailer. I really don’t know how to check electrical beyond what I have done to see what might be wrong. When I turn the drum I can hear what I believe is the brakes barley scraping the drum. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:04 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Humming is a good sign if all wheels are humming. Adjustment time or pull drums and do full brake insp including service bearings and seals. Then assemble and adjust. Check your results.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:29 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Humming is a good sign if all wheels are humming. Adjustment time or pull drums and do full brake insp including service bearings and seals. Then assemble and adjust. Check your results.
Thanks for the quick reply. I never thought about adjusting them. That star wheel just escaped me. I have not ever adjusted them since the last bearing pack. I will do that and let you know what It does. Much appreciated.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Advice on Trailer brakes

Quote:
GCinSC2 I adjusted brakes one wheel was way loose the other three were about 2 clicks down and seemed fine. I run them down until I cannot turn it then back off until I hear the pad scraping . So here is what happened as soon as I plug trailer into truck the brakes lock up. First time for that. I turned the controller down same thing. I am getting power to all four brakes. My wife was operating brakes yesterday for me and said controller was getting very hot on bottom. Draw tite controller. I had it installed about 10 years ago. What would be your thinking on this? I have no idea right now on where to start except pull hub and visual inspect all brakes for something out of wack. I am leaning towards the controller, no idea how to test it to see if I am right.

Many thanks
Old 10-05-2021, 01:39 PM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Advice on Trailer Brakes

Ouch.

Any chance that you have a buddy with a truck and brake controller and swap for a short test drive?

And nothing bad happened until plugged into your TV, right? That’s building a case for an issue with controller.

Think of the brake magnet as a light bulb. It can’t turn itself on. The power comes from the TV and controller.

I’m still seeing progress just not sure all issues have been found. Like if controller was applying current to the magnets prior to your investigating. Then the magnets might be questionable due to long time application.

Keep going!

Gary

We spent three yrs in Mustang. Kids still talk about OK.
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 10-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
If all the wheels are locking up then most likely it's the controller since that's what sends the voltage to the magnets. If one magnet was bad it might lock up, but not all of them.

What Gary said, see if you can borrow a controller for testing. If not, buy a new one. You got your money's worth out of the old one.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:19 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Ouch.

Any chance that you have a buddy with a truck and brake controller and swap for a short test drive?

And nothing bad happened until plugged into your TV, right? That’s building a case for an issue with controller.

Think of the brake magnet as a light bulb. It can’t turn itself on. The power comes from the TV and controller.

I’m still seeing progress just not sure all issues have been found. Like if controller was applying current to the magnets prior to your investigating. Then the magnets might be questionable due to long time application.

Keep going!

Gary

We spent three yrs in Mustang. Kids still talk about OK.
Yes we lived just off Mustang Road behind Brisco LP for years. Nice town. Our children grew up there. We live in Choctaw now. No I cannot think of anyone off hand that I could use there truck that has a brake controller.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:24 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
If all the wheels are locking up then most likely it's the controller since that's what sends the voltage to the magnets. If one magnet was bad it might lock up, but not all of them.

What Gary said, see if you can borrow a controller for testing. If not, buy a new one. You got your money's worth out of the old one.
Any suggestions on a better controller than the draw site? I had it for ten years. Its what I would go back to unless you guys know of a better or more dependable one.
Old 10-05-2021, 04:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I have the Tekonsha P2 and never had a problem with it, but then it's not 10 years old either.

I've seen the Tekonsha P2 and P3 multiple times here in the forum. The guy I bought my AS from had one also.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I also have a Tekonsha P2 and mine is older than 10 years. Going on 12 and used it on a previous trailer. Got the Airstream and adjusted it just fine. Got a different TV and changed the P2 to the new one. Still working great. I am a fan.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:38 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Thanks fellows for your advice on the controller. I will do some homework and pick one and install. I will let you know the outcome.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:15 PM   #12
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegent;
Thanks fellows for your advice on the controller. I will do some homework and pick one and install. I will let you know the outcome.

I have a Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ Electronic Brake Controller that I don’t use. PM me if you want it.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:32 AM   #13
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I have a Tekonsha 90160 Primus IQ Electronic Brake Controller that I don’t use. PM me if you want it.
That's a nice offer, a diagnostic test and see if this controller suits your rig.

WFR well done.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:57 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I’m giggling and so thankful. Many thanks.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:58 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
That's a nice offer, a diagnostic test and see if this controller suits your rig.

WFR well done.
Yes! this kindness is what builds faith in others.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Update

So I have tried two controllers on the truck now. I confirmed I have power at the truck receptacle to the blue brake wire and all lights and turn signals work. I am not willing right now to believe I have two bad controllers. I have checked wires to drums for corrosion and loose wires. I don’t really know how I would test the trailer receptacle.Since my old drawtite worked up until it quit I just assume the truck is wired right for the trailer brakes. I am using the tow vehicle blue plug under dash and recommended pig tail. My next move would be to pull the wheels and drums and take a look at brakes and magnets. I just don’t really know anything else to do at this point. I am open for suggestions. Many thanks.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:17 PM   #17
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Check Signal into Brake controller

Something is telling your break controller to apply the brakes. Check the signal coming in to see if it is constantly energized, if so you may have an issue with the brake light switch or wiring up to the controller.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:35 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Have you removed the drums and inspected?

1st rule...inspect and verify.👍

I would, sounds like a mechanical concern.
A lining may have separated and is jamming things up, spring broken, magnet disintegrated><><><><back to basics. KISS

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-16-2021, 08:34 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Brake advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim J View Post
Something is telling your break controller to apply the brakes. Check the signal coming in to see if it is constantly energized, if so you may have an issue with the brake light switch or wiring up to the controller.
Thanks Jim I did that today. No issue there I don’t believe.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:42 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Brake advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
1st rule...inspect and verify.👍

I would, sounds like a mechanical concern.
A lining may have separated and is jamming things up, spring broken, magnet disintegrated><><><><back to basics. KISS

Bob
🇺🇸
Bob I am hoping that is what it is. I am going to get into it Monday morning hopefully. I appreciate your advice. I worked on the truck end of things again today. I found one place at the factory trailer plug harness where one had been rubbed. Not all the way through but enough I put some tape on it and insulated with a plastic wiring harness to protect it. Nothing else. I took the trailer plug apart on the truck end and cleaned it up and traced all wires nothing no shorts and everything is working fine I believe. So that leaves one un- explored area the trailer brakes and wiring.