Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2021, 08:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
The brake controller, as I understand, supplies an increasing voltage to the magnets in the brakes as the TV's brakes are applied. The stronger the TV brakes, the stronger the voltage. You can also move the manual knob (on the bottom of the Prodigy P2/3) on the controller to apply trailer brakes.

If this is true you should be able to do a voltage check on that pin at the umbilical connector on the TV by moving the manual knob. But if the controller requires the umbilical be attached then you'd have to take a voltage check at the magnet, unless you have access to that pin inside the AS where the umbilical goes inside.

Just a thought
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:28 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
The brake controller, as I understand, supplies an increasing voltage to the magnets in the brakes as the TV's brakes are applied. The stronger the TV brakes, the stronger the voltage. You can also move the manual knob (on the bottom of the Prodigy P2/3) on the controller to apply trailer brakes.

If this is true you should be able to do a voltage check on that pin at the umbilical connector on the TV by moving the manual knob. But if the controller requires the umbilical be attached then you'd have to take a voltage check at the magnet, unless you have access to that pin inside the AS where the umbilical goes inside.

Just a thought
Rich that makes sense . Good advice also. I am still working on the TV receptacle . I am getting power there on the brake blade put its now began to go in and out. I think I will run a new brake wire and see what is up. If that docent fix it I am scratching my head and will check voltage at magnets. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I had JC check my brakes last week while we were there getting our rear quarter panel replaced. 55K miles on our 28'. They called me and said 3 wheels had issues with the magnets and pads were worn down to metal on the 3. We had them turn all 4 drums, and replace all 4 pads along with packing the bearings. Just under $1800 for all this, but big difference towing as we head for Alumalina...brakes all working great now! I would not have thought to look at them had I not been at JC for the body work. Lesson learned for sure.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:33 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Jim thank you for your suggestion . I appreciate that.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:38 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
1st rule...inspect and verify.👍

I would, sounds like a mechanical concern.
A lining may have separated and is jamming things up, spring broken, magnet disintegrated><><><><back to basics. KISS

Bob
🇺🇸
I got the issue resolved I believe. It was a intermittent brake wire. In and out. No idea were it was broken. A new one is installed and all seems to be working fine. I also received a nice gift in the mail from wulfraat (Peter). So I am feeling pretty good about it all. I love the fact that you can always get some help from setting down with the bulls and discussing it. Much appreciated.