Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2020, 07:31 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Advice on braking system

Being new to towing a camper, my question will probably be pretty simplistic but you have to start somewhere and this is probably the best repository of knowledge on the web, so here goes.

We took ownership of our Nest this week. I own a Toyota Tundra with the tow package. The former owner used their 4 Runner. They had a brake system unit installed that I question whether or not I need.

When I towed it home I simply plugged the 7 way into my truck receiver and drove it home, about 150 miles.

Do I need something additional to assist in braking? Thanks in advance for your comments!
Gibson3798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:40 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard...👍

Yes you do....A Brake controller.

I refuse to recommend ANY brand...'cuz around here your always rong.

Bob
🇺🇸
PS
Our Boat is from Louisville
Old 04-25-2020, 07:50 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
You didn't say what year your truck is but my 2018 Tundra with the factory tow package came with the brake controller already installed. Do you have this and do you know how to use it?

I know it seems like a silly question but if you never looked for it before you may not even realize that it is there. It's hidden in front of your right knee on the dash.

If you don't have it factory installed there are wired and wireless options available for you to choose from.
thezoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:51 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Some vehicles come with a brake controller built in, but if yours has it, there should be a manual slider on the dash somewhere, to allow you to engage the trailer brakes manually....

If your vehicle does not have a built in brake controller, you need to have one installed...otherwise you are not gaining the benefit of trailer brakes....they make a big difference, especially in hilly conditions....

You can take your vehicle to a UHAUL dealer and they will install a brake controller for you....no big deal...
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
My Tundra is a 2015 and it had a tow button you depress when towing but I don’t see a slider.

I appreciate the replies very much!
Old 04-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Ammon , Idaho
Like Bob said, you need a brake controller. That is what communicates to the trailer brakes through the 7 way plug that they need to activate and how much to apply. It generates that signal based on how hard you are applying the brakes on your Tundra. Given that your truck has the factory tow package, it may have an integrated controller already installed but I do not know for sure. To confirm, I suggest you consult the manual, a local knowledgeable friend, or somebody more familiar with the Tundra may chime in on here. There are many aftermarket options like Bob alluded to if you have to go that route.

Congrats on the new trailer, wishing you many happy memories.
OutdoorIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
More likely than not, you don’t have a factory installed brake controller. Before doing a permanent install of a wired unit under the dash, look into the Curt Echo. You plug it into the 7-pin, then plug your trailer cable into it, and it works great. No install, no hassle. Less expensive than wired (assuming you pay to have a wired one installed). Mine has worked great for the last 18 months
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Specifications say that the Nest GVWR is 4000#. I think trailers over 3000# are required to have brakes. To operate the brakes you need a brake controller, either built-in or added on.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:06 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Thanks everyone!

I tried the Echo unit and it didn’t connect well and subsequently didn’t work at all for me. I’m sure it’s a fine unit nonetheless.

I just made arrangements to get the Reliance system installed next week.

Once again, I appreciate the knowledge and direction that is available on the forum!
Old 04-25-2020, 09:23 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Tupelo , Mississippi
There are numerous brands, that all will do an adequate job. The main thing to pay attention to is each model's method of operation. DO NOT allow a unit that uses "time-based" technology to apply the trailer brake. ONLY use a unit that uses "inertia-based" technology. Time-based units, in my opinion, are patently unsafe, especially in the hands of an inexperienced towing driver.
rvbsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:29 AM   #11

2006 23' Safari SE
thunder bay , Ontario
brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson3798 View Post
Being new to n ttowing a camper, my question will probably be pretty simplistic but you have to start somewhere and this is probably the best repository of knowledge ohe web, so here goes.

We took ownership of our Nest this week. I own a Toyota Tundra with the tow package. The former owner used their 4 Runner. They had a brake system unit installed that I question whether or not I need.

When I towed it home I simply plugged the 7 way into my truck receiver and drove it home, about 150 miles.

Do I need something additional to assist in braking? Thanks in advance for your comments!
Drive for a couple miles and use your brakes a little,pull over and feel your hubs,if their warm,the brakes are working,with your setup
narita1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:43 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Specifications say that the Nest GVWR is 4000#. I think trailers over 3000# are required to have brakes. To operate the brakes you need a brake controller, either built-in or added on.

Al
Actually that varies by state. Some states require brakes on trailers over 2000#. Also some TV manuals say brakes are required for trailers over 1000#, which since lower overrides state requirements.

Another problem in most states if the trailer has brakes it doesn't matter how much the trailer weighs the brakes must be hooked up.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:40 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Thanks again to all that replied! I think I have that issue in hand and now on to something else I don’t fully understand!
Old 04-26-2020, 11:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Being new to towing a camper, my question will probably be pretty simplistic but you have to start somewhere and this is probably the best repository of knowledge on the web, so here goes.

You didn't mention what year your Tundra is, but if it's like my 2015, it has all the wiring in place, but no brake controller. So you drove with no trailer brakes.
A lot of us use the Tekonsha Prodigy P-3. Amazon sells it for about $110. All I had to do was to buy the matching cable for a Tundra, (3017) pop off the lower right dash panel (next to steering wheel, use your fingers.) You can buy a tool, but seriously, it's a waste of money.
Plug in the Prodigy and mount the bracket. Mounting the bracket was the most time consuming, it could have been a 15 minute job except I was fastidious about the mount.
There's an assortment of YouTube videos of varying quality, but basically you'll find a connector behind the panel with "tow/haul", plug it in and mount the bracket.

Quote:
My Tundra is a 2015 and it had a tow button you depress when towing but I don’t see a slider.
The "Tow/Haul" button is not brakes.
It changes the shift points on the transmission so when towing, it stays in lower gears longer. Just leave it on while towing (after stopping for gas, you need to hit it again, although you won't notice much difference)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:15 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Richmond , Virginia
We have a 2020 Crewmax Tundra Limited. We have a built in brake controller along with Tow Haul.
cldamonhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:32 AM   #16
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
FWIW,

I found this info in OP's public profile.

"2015 Toyota Tundra Limited"
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:03 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2021 28' International
Knoxville , Tennessee
Thanks to everyone who replied!! Great info that helped me clear up this issue. The best to all of you! Happy Camping!
Old 05-08-2020, 06:23 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Bob
🇺🇸

Back at 'ya...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	product shot_032020.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	367471  
Old 05-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Flint , Michigan
Red face Wireless Brake Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
A lot of us use the Tekonsha Prodigy P-3.
I’ve got the Tekonsha Prodigy on my 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi Gas. I tow a ‘78 Argosy 30’ which specifications say weighs 4050#. It has worked flawlessly. I believe it is a great product.

I also have a wired Tekonsha unit on my 2002 Chrysler T&C Ltd. 3.8 V6 which I have towed many thousands of miles with my SOB; also a 30’ which weighs 3200# dry. I’ve had that unit since 2003.

They are good products and I am convinced of their reliability.
Whamm511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:32 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2019 Nest
na , USA
Thumbs up

I got a wireless one that literally is ZERO wires. Just plug it in and download the app. I figured it was the most economical for me because I want my family and friends to be able to safely tow the nest without having to install a brake controller on their vehicle. Here is the one I got https://amzn.to/2Zf1KMe --super simple and there are lots of YouTube videos if you need any info on it, but it's pretty self explanatory! Good luck!
SeeMeNestin is offline   Reply With Quote