Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Brake Controller Wiring

I just got a 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 and am trying to hook up my Tekonsha P-3 controller. I found the wires under the dash which the book says are the ones to hook up to the controller harness. From the truck, the power should be coming from the red/black wire and ground white. I have done that and nothing, no power. Even with the key on, still nothing. Tester is also showing nothing. May be a blown fuse? Anyone know where that might be?
Thanks,
Joe
Old 11-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Don't know on the new ones but the older GMs needed to have a fuse installed in the fuse panel under the hood. I might be way off on this but it is worth a look. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
The Silver Bullitt

1976 27' Overlander
Ventura , California
I just ordered one of these P3 for my 2011. You have to hook up the uninstalled power wire under the hood to to the wiring post in the fuse box. See this video for a 2011>

Trailer Brake Controller Installation - 2011 Chevy Silverado Video | etrailer.com
Xenomorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Don't know on the new ones but the older GMs needed to have a fuse installed in the fuse panel under the hood. I might be way off on this but it is worth a look. jim
Thanks Jim,
I looked in the box under the hood and on the inside door panel. It appears all fuses are in that are listed but who knows what the abbreviations mean.
Joe
Old 11-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
The Silver Bullitt

1976 27' Overlander
Ventura , California
Hold tight bud help is on the way. Waiting for my post to be approved...
Old 11-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
The Silver Bullitt

1976 27' Overlander
Ventura , California
There it is let us know how it goes
Old 11-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
Thanks Jim,
I looked in the box under the hood and on the inside door panel. It appears all fuses are in that are listed but who knows what the abbreviations mean.
Joe
GM has in the past used "dummy fuses" in place of the real ones for the trailer power. I'd check to make sure all the fuses are really fuses.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
I just ordered one of these P3 for my 2011. You have to hook up the uninstalled power wire under the hood to to the wiring post in the fuse box. See this video for a 2011>

Trailer Brake Controller Installation - 2011 Chevy Silverado Video | etrailer.com

That did it. Thanks so much! Easy to do once you know what to do. Done and everything hooked up and working.
I will probably do more towing with my Ford, the Chevy is a company truck that I can use if I'm working also when I'm out. The Chevy is very nice, a 4X4 with tow package. 5.3 L and I think a 345 rear end or something close.
Thanks,
Joe
Old 11-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
The Silver Bullitt

1976 27' Overlander
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
That did it. Thanks so much! Easy to do once you know what to do. Done and everything hooked up and working.
I will probably do more towing with my Ford, the Chevy is a company truck that I can use if I'm working also when I'm out. The Chevy is very nice, a 4X4 with tow package. 5.3 L and I think a 345 rear end or something close.
Thanks,
Joe
No prob glad it worked out. I just happened to come across that video as I did research for purchasing the P3. I would have been in the same predicament trying to figure out why power wasn't working. I suppose they leave it unhooked since there is no wiring harness and don't want a loose wiring running hot.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
No prob glad it worked out. I just happened to come across that video as I did research for purchasing the P3. I would have been in the same predicament trying to figure out why power wasn't working. I suppose they leave it unhooked since there is no wiring harness and don't want a loose wiring running hot.
I guess they started doing the loose wires when they started putting in the factory brake controllers. It sure would have been nice if they had made a note in the owners manual about where the wires were and how to hook them up. I'm glad I tried to hook this up well before I was ready to leave on a trip. I never thought I would have had problems and have to figure out. All the past trucks just had the plug in, mount and go.
FYI, the wire for the lights on the 7 pin was attached to the fuse box so I could have hooked up lights but no brakes.
Happy Thanksgiving,
Joe

Tags