Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2007, 06:58 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Smile 1977 Hydraulic Disc Brakes?

On a recent outing I met a chap with a 1977 Airstream International 31' with Hydraulic disc brakes. He was not the origial owner of the unit. but thought the unit came from the factory with disc brakes. Did Airstream install hydraulic disc brakes on the 1977's has a standard feature, or was this an option?
Atlantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
I just picked up a 1977 Safari with vacuum powered disk brakes. I'm converting it to use the Actibrake actuator. There's a thread elsewhere about the parts availability and servicing, etc. Excella CM has been feeding me info and has posted details in other threads.

Zep
Old 07-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
I just picked up a 1977 Safari with vacuum powered disk brakes. I'm converting it to use the Actibrake actuator. There's a thread elsewhere about the parts availability and servicing, etc. Excella CM has been feeding me info and has posted details in other threads.

Zep

Zep, Thanks for the info
Atlantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantica
On a recent outing I met a chap with a 1977 Airstream International 31' with Hydraulic disc brakes. He was not the origial owner of the unit. but thought the unit came from the factory with disc brakes. Did Airstream install hydraulic disc brakes on the 1977's has a standard feature, or was this an option?
We have many repair parts for the original disc brake system Airstream used.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantica
It was an option on the Excella 500. I had those discs and they were fantastic, no problems at all.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Exclamation Repair shop says the vacuum brakes are ancient dinasaurs

Hi guys, this thread is right up my driveway. Took my (new to me) '78 31foot Excella 500 to a shop to have the wheel bearings greased, the guy says the hydraulic disc brake system is an ancient unrepairable dinasaur. $85 for each brake pad. He can't figure out how to connect the vacuum up to a vacuum pump or anything, he's found a $800 change device from the vacuum, and a controller in the truck for $300. I haven't gotten the brakes hooked up to the truck yet. I eventually convinced him to be his idea to look at new "torsion" axles since I can see mine are horizontal or worse. He found there is only one place in the planet that makes an axle for that "unique" machine I have, and it will come with smaller drum brakes than the disc brakes he is throwing a way. $2500 for two axles with brakes. Now he says the supplier has to "make" the axles, there are none in stock anywhere although they were listed on a supplier's web site.
My problem, we have to be going down the road for an event starting on the 26 August. Tickets in hand. E has put her heart into cleaning and fixing up this trailer to go, she has been planning on going to this event since January. The shop says the thing "fell apart" and can't be put back together until the new axles with the electric drum brakes come in middle September. E had back operation in April, I don't want her to have to sleep on the ground in a tent and risk needing a new back operation. What Do I do to get this trailer on the road behind E's truck by Saturday? Are these prices reasonable, and are the disc brakes so unique that a brake shop can't make them go? I have seen Dexter web site with the system to activate the hydraulic brakes for $613, and controller for the truck on sale at $59. Inland RV site shows Henschen axles with drum brakes for $800.
Thanks for any help, and reward if somebody can get it done by Friday!
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
If this repair shop had any idea what they were doing then they wouldn't be giving you this bull! While the complicated unit on the tongue can be replaced with a brake activator, there is no reason to get rid of the existing huge disc rotors or system. I had the system on my '77 Excella 500 so I ought to know. Inland RV has repair parts and you can have companies put new pads on the disc pad plates. I'd say this shop wants to do the work and take your money. I'd look elsewhere.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 08-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Thanks, Craig. I'd do the work my self but thought I had hired a professional to do that so I could spend my time doing other things to get ready for vaction. "There's only one place back east that has those brake pads and they are about a hundred dollars each". He's already gotten $1000 to change out the A/C. Can't take time off work to go have the thing carried home and do it my self.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
I can understand that! I try to do as much as I can on my '86 so I can save money. I did all the disc brake and wheel bearing work on my '77 but was pushed last year so let the local RV guy pack the wheel bearings and do a brake inspection on the '86 before a trip to Georgia.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 08-19-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
So what are you going to do?

I have the same system on my 77 sovereign and I love the disc brakes.
Are you going to have this shop change out your hydra-vac system?
It sounds like timing is your biggest concern right now. If you have more time to work on this project, I can help with info about resurfacing your pads. I will say that one major concern is the width of your existing rotors. If they have been machined too many times, they may not meet the minimum width of .940inch. I have found replacement rotors nearly impossible to come by. If they are thick enough, I would consider keeping this system.
wayne.yl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo
Thanks, Craig. I'd do the work my self but thought I had hired a professional to do that so I could spend my time doing other things to get ready for vaction. "There's only one place back east that has those brake pads and they are about a hundred dollars each". He's already gotten $1000 to change out the A/C. Can't take time off work to go have the thing carried home and do it my self.
We have the disc brake pads made to better specs than the originals.

And, they are a lot cheaper than your dealer quoted you.

Andy
Old 08-19-2007, 11:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
The brake units on your wheels are standard industrial units made by Ausco. The pads are available from any number of jobbers. I used Berenson Fluid Power. Check the threads, its all in there and not any hundred bucks either! No need to change the rotors, wheels and calipers at all. If you want to update the power unit it won't hurt to do it, but don't let them trash the old one–those are trade goods here abouts for some of us that still use them. They were a great unit made by Midland and if you're not running a diesel TV, still useable today.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Thanks guys! Gotta get to work, but hope to call Andy about axles and brakes. '78 31 foot Excella 500, serial E31T8-S1328. Esther's truck is a 2500 Chevy diesel 4x4 so probably need to change out the vacuum unit. If I can get the guy to put my wheels under it, I hope to get it home and do the work my self.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Won't be around computer for the rest of the day, testing a concrete slab in Fernley NV.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
I just wanted to let you know that I wish my electric drum brakes worked half as good as those '77 discs did.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 08-21-2007, 11:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Sorry for being out of touch, work has to happen when you're getting ready for vacation. Phone call Monday morning to the shop in Gardnerville, he put on the airconditioner, greased the other two wheel bearings, put it on the ground. Phone call to Andy, brake pads and actuator and controller are on the way, and axles will be arriving a week or so after we get back. Got the airstream home from the shop this evening with a box of the old pads. Looks like all the pads had a little pad still on them, if i could actuate the hydralulics I could have probalby have brakes now.
Gotta get back to work, hope the parts come and maybe get the brakes going before we head out Sunday. I'm starting to be glad we were able to keep the disc brakes instead of getting drums. Andy says the hydraulic actuators are getting so popular, you should mount it out of sight. Good job Andy, that you keep having those pads made after Airstream and Ausco dropped them.
Perry.
(how do you get those foot notes on about your ow vehicle and trailer? I filled that out once, but it don't show up. Somewhere you can edit your profile I suppose, not too evident)
Old 08-22-2007, 06:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Quote:
(how do you get those foot notes on about your ow vehicle and trailer? I filled that out once, but it don't show up. Somewhere you can edit your profile I suppose, not too evident)
Go to User CP in the blue bar at the top of this page and click on it. Under Settings & Options click on Edit Signature. Put what you want and then click Save signature under the box.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 08-23-2007, 11:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Brake parts are here!

Box of brake parts at my door when I got home from work. Have one brake together with pads tonight. Hope that 29 year old steel brake tubing is okay, problably be a good idea to get a bunch of tubing and flareing tools to carry. Gotta study this site to learn up on hints on installing the Activator and controller. One more day of work then vaction!
Perry
Old 08-24-2007, 04:15 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Box of brake parts at my door when I got home from work. Have one brake together with pads tonight. Hope that 29 year old steel brake tubing is okay, problably be a good idea to get a bunch of tubing and flareing tools to carry. Gotta study this site to learn up on hints on installing the Activator and controller. One more day of work then vaction!
Perry
Perry.

Follow the instructions that are in the book that came with the actuator.

Unless there is a rust condition, the original steel tubing lines will be ok. If not, tubing kits are available, that cost far less than the time and effort it would take to make up your own lines, considering those lines "must" have a double flare.

Andy
Old 09-19-2007, 06:22 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Axles are here

Axles are here, delivered by Yellow freight to my door a couple hours ago. Now more fun, but will be a few weeks before I get a chance to start the job of putting the new axles on the Excella. Thanks again to Andy, one phone call and all the parts were on the road to me. Brake lines seem to be fine.
Perry