Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
phoenix , Arizona
1977 31' excella 500 brake system

Hello, I just purchased a 1977 31' Excella 500 trailer and I'm trying to figure out what I need to install in my 2500HD Silverado to operate the trailers disk brakes? I'm reading in the owners manual something about a Excella-Vac system controller?

Any help would be appreciated -
Thanks,
Matt
GEERDES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
If it sets up like my 77 Overlander,you need to pull a vacuum line from the engine intake back to the trailer.My trailer had a quick disconnect on the vacuum line,I installed the adapter on the truck,with a plug to cap it off after disconnecting from the trailer.After all that the booster and master cylinder was shot,yanked the whole system off and installed electric. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:08 AM   #3

Currently Looking...
phoenix , Arizona
Dave, did you install the electric brakes yourself?
GEERDES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
Putting on electric brakes is pretty simple. The main component, the backing plate with the brake shoes, magnets and mechanical bits can be purchased as a unit and bolts on and off with four bolts and nuts. You do have to take the old disk brakes off and also purchase drums that bolt on behind the wheels. Even though there is only one wire that powers all the brake magnets that is attached at each wheel it is the hardest to do. It has to be run from the bargman connector plug at the tongue all the way back to the wheels. It is run inside the belly pan for protection and disappears into the body just behind the tongue "A frame" and reappears at each wheel housing through a grommented hole in the belly. It can be fished through the belly pan but that area has a fibreglass insulation blanket that is suspended or probably settled on the interior of the pan which makes pushing a fish tape through problematic. At the very front on my trailer in the middle directly under where the electrical converter is located there is an inspection or access plate that is about 5 inches wide and 10 inches long that runs parallel to the front of the trailer in the belly pan that can be removed. You could probably cut a similar size hole in center of the pan at the front axle and use a fiberglass rod to fish wires back to the wheels and then put a pop riveted patch over the hole. It is really a bolt off and bolt on if you have the tools and the time but running the wiring is a pain.
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
Matt, my '79 Excella 500 had the booster and M/cylinder for vacuum over hydraulic on the tongue and all the hookups, but was also equipped with drum brakes and the wheels / electrics to match, it took me a while to figure out the brakes were drum / electric. Is it possible yours is set up the same way? everything on mine looked orginal. I wonder if it was optional one way or the other?
AIR #12881
TAC OH-10
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote