Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #1

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
1957 Brakes

Is it really impossible to find the shoes for a 1957 22' Custom? I don't want to replace the axle, the only thing it needs are brake shoes, but I'm striking out...
DDickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:21 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
You may need to replace the backing plates with shoes and related hardware.

Shopping for shoes based on application will net you a zero from almost any source. Removing the shoes and taking to a trailer store might work. In worst case it may be possible to re-line the existing shoe. Although I am not sure who would do that.

You have leaf springs. Axle replacement is not needed for this spring type as leaf springs can be replaced independently from the axle. Not so with torsion spring axles.

Post a picture.

>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
........ Removing the shoes and taking to a trailer store might work. In worst case it may be possible to re-line the existing shoe. Although I am not sure who would do that.

>>>>>>>Action
You may have to go to Austin to get this done. Like here .... http://www.magnumtrailers.com/

Or maybe go to a NAPA store with the shoe.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-26-2016, 06:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDickey View Post
Is it really impossible to find the shoes for a 1957 22' Custom? I don't want to replace the axle, the only thing it needs are brake shoes, but I'm striking out...
You can remove the shoes and have them relined.

If you wish to upgrade to new style brakes, you will find that the outer edge of the drums will hit the new backing plates.

If you decide to go with new style brakes, then you must have that outer edge of the drums machined off.

Original parts for your running gear have for most parts vanished.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Andy is right take the shoes in and have them re-lined if you don't want to replace the axle.
I chose a new axle with electric brakes from Dexter easy enough with the mounting and the benefit was that my '58 was raised a couple of inches, welcome for what is planned for it.
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:39 AM   #6

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Thanks Andy

Do you have a link to a backing plate that will work? This is the five bolt Kelsey-Hayes axle with 2x12 Hadco brakes and six lug drum. I'm still trying to decide whether to just reline the shoes, try a new backing plate or replace everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1649.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	263311  
Old 05-27-2016, 10:40 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Cerritos , California
I ended up getting new axles with brakes. It would have cost me nearly as much to replace drums and the backing plates.
68Streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 12:00 PM   #8

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Streamline View Post
I ended up getting new axles with brakes. It would have cost me nearly as much to replace drums and the backing plates.
I'm getting prices starting around $400 for a complete axle. I guess I'm struggling with the idea of changing this one out because the shoes are worn. I'm leaning toward relining the shoes at this point.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I'm getting prices starting around $400 for a complete axle. I guess I'm struggling with the idea of changing this one out because the shoes are worn. I'm leaning toward relining the shoes at this point.
Is that price for a complete regular axle or a complete torsion axle, hub & drums, 12 inch brakes, bearings, grease seals and lug nuts ?

Andy
Old 05-27-2016, 12:47 PM   #10

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Is that price for a complete regular axle or a complete torsion axle, hub & drums, 12 inch brakes, bearings, grease seals and lug nuts ?

Andy
That's the lowest over-the-phone quote for a 3500 lb fully loaded 4" drop axle 70.5" HF with 12" brakes. 70.5" seems to be an odd measurement, and they go up from there.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #11

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
I'm torn

I can re-line the brake shoes for $22ea, $88 total. I should probably replace the magnets for about $100 (not absolutely necessary). Original setup, fully functional and would probably last awhile, but it feels like I'm delaying the inevitable. Roughly $200 total.

I can replace the backing plates and modify the drum, but I don't really know what I'm getting into with this one. Could be a mess. Maybe $200 when all is said and done?

I can replace everything for about $400

Hmmmmmmmmmm.......
Old 05-27-2016, 01:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Another thing to consider is whether the old drums need to be turned. If the armature face is scored it will cost extra to get that done, above and beyond just turning the brake surface.
I would get the new axle, backing plates, hubs, bearings and seals. Then you'll have all new stuff with easy parts availability.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I can re-line the brake shoes for $22ea, $88 total. I should probably replace the magnets for about $100 (not absolutely necessary). Original setup, fully functional and would probably last awhile, but it feels like I'm delaying the inevitable. Roughly $200 total.

I can replace the backing plates and modify the drum, but I don't really know what I'm getting into with this one. Could be a mess. Maybe $200 when all is said and done?

I can replace everything for about $400

Hmmmmmmmmmm.......
Drop axles are considerably cheaper than torsion axles.

Brake magnets today go for about $ 50.00 each.

For just a little more, you could upgrade your brakes, even with self adjusting brakes for just a little more, y replacing the complete backing plate.

Then you would have the latest and the best electric brakes.

The old system brakes are ok, but the new stuff leaves them in the dust.

Andy
Old 05-27-2016, 03:28 PM   #14
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The only reason for replacing the axle would be because you could not find newer backing plates to fit the existing axle and newer drums to accept bearings that fit the spindle.

Otherwise you have a perfectly good axle. (If the leaf springs are still good is another question) You could take the drums and backing plate to a trailer shop in Austin and see if you get a match. Or call in there with measurements.

Or find a vendor to re-line the shoes for now. Sounds like the existing drums will work for now and eventually they will need to be replaced in time.

Your 22' trailer isn't likely to weigh much so it won't take much braking power to stop it. Meaning brake wear in the future may not be great as would be with a heavier trailer.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-28-2016, 10:09 AM   #15

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
One final question before I make the decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
The only reason for replacing the axle would be because you could not find newer backing plates to fit the existing axle and newer drums to accept bearings that fit the spindle.

Otherwise you have a perfectly good axle. (If the leaf springs are still good is another question) You could take the drums and backing plate to a trailer shop in Austin and see if you get a match. Or call in there with measurements.

Or find a vendor to re-line the shoes for now. Sounds like the existing drums will work for now and eventually they will need to be replaced in time.

Your 22' trailer isn't likely to weigh much so it won't take much braking power to stop it. Meaning brake wear in the future may not be great as would be with a heavier trailer.

>>>>>>>>>>Action

What is the failure rate on these old drop axles? Am I stupid to keep the original axle to save a few hundred bucks? This is a full Monty after all. Here are my final options:

1. Clean it up and put everything back together as is. The brakes are worn, but they work, and they probably have another 10,000 miles left in them. One grease seal is leaking, so I'd replace it. Cost $15.

2. Have the shoes relined and use everything else. Shoes $88, grease seal $15, total cost $103. I could add new magnets for a total cost of $203.

3. Install new loaded backing plates, machine the existing hubs to fit (if necessary). Maybe $250 when all is said and done.

4. Replace the axle and brakes $400 - $500 (I install)
Old 05-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
There is some risk to option #3. You will not know until you have the new backing plates whether they will work with the original hubs.
I don't think they will, and I don't think you wil be able to machine them to fit. That's based on the geometry of the old hubs. If you do this, be sure that you can return the backing plates at no charge. Or keep the backing plates and move on to option #4.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Axle 001.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	263377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle 007.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	263378  

Old 05-28-2016, 11:04 AM   #17
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:

What is the failure rate on these old drop axles?
Am I stupid to keep the original axle to save a few hundred bucks?
The failure rate of that axle is nearly zero. What may fail and cause damage is a wheel bearing and damage the spindle on the end of the axle.

And know that any 60 year old parts in any condition will be desired by someone out there that is looking for the original parts.

As to your intelligence, I will leave that up for you to decide.

For an opinion, mine would be #1. However know that I am a very cheap guy. (Ask my wife) nd I am very much into original pieces. I am currently cleaning out a shed with auto stuff I have picked up over the years. (Almost 60) Selling most of it because there is someone out there with my illness.

Then seek to do #2 next year because you should be looking at your brakes annually IF the trailer is frequently used.

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-28-2016, 11:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I suspect, but don't have the numbers to back it up, that the dimension from the hub face to the centerline of the brakes shoes is different. That would make using the old hubs with new backing plates problematic.
As I said it won't be a problem if you can return the new backing plate or end up replacing the axle.
I'm not trying to talk you into one option or the other - just want you to be ready in case the old hubs don't work on the new backing plates.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LHbrake04.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	263381   Click image for larger version

Name:	brakes 012.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	263382  

Old 05-28-2016, 11:37 AM   #19

1957 22' Custom
Lago Vista , Texas
New backing plates with old hubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
I suspect, but don't have the numbers to back it up, that the dimension from the hub face to the centerline of the brakes shoes is different. That would make using the old hubs with new backing plates problematic.
As I said it won't be a problem if you can return the new backing plate or end up replacing the axle.
I'm not trying to talk you into one option or the other - just want you to be ready in case the old hubs don't work on the new backing plates.
Andy with Inland RV said that new backing plates would work with old hubs if you have the old hubs machined. Evidently the old backing plates are slightly offset towards the center of the trailer but the new ones are not, so the old hubs would rub on the new backing plates. There's a lip on the back of the old hub, and I'm guessing that if that lip is machined off the setup would work - but that's just a guess at this point.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If you want to follow his advice then do so.

I think the lip on the old hubs are not a decorative element. I would suspect the lip has something to do controlling hoop stress in the hub.

But I may be wrong.

Tags