Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #41
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
There is more than anecdotal info on GYMs. I had my new 2012 for less than 60 days before I put on the 16" wheels and Michelin LT's. After 15,000 miles of safe trailering, they have been perfect. Agree with USAA. I've been with them for 46 years. They handled my claim for being rear-ended 2 weeks ago with their usual professionalism. Trailer is at the dealer waiting for a couple of parts to arrive from JC. Just glad no injuries. Stuff can be fixed, it's tougher on humans...!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Suggested amendment to Mstephens post #41, above

Regarding the three LT tire failures on the tire failure poll, referenced in Mstephens post #41, above:

* "...two responses that indicate 16-inch tires failed seem to imply that LT tires may also have problems on Airstreams. However, if you track the individual responses by User ID, those two failures were actually 15-inch GYMs."

* The third tire was a Michelin that was over seven years old. If I recall correctly, the member I exchanged messages with said that it was about 10 years old and very weather checked at the time of failure.

So, Mstephens statement could be amended to "... and one Michelin LT blowout involving a tire that was 10 years old."
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I tracked the thread on that one 10-year-old Michelin blowout as well. Actually it did not blow out at all. The owner replaced all four because the sidewalls were very badly weathered.

So that's zero 16" Michelin LT blowouts.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Thanks for the corrections fellas. Zero it is then. That's pretty remarkable evidence.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Compelling anecdotal data

Pretty overwhelming

It almost seems even skepticism inducing that there is zero reports

I was convinced enough

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Once again, my decision for the 16" SenDel wheels and Michelin LT 225/75R16E tires is reinforced. I will pick up the SenDel wheels next Friday and order the appropriate Dill TPMS 506 system based upon valve stem hole diameter in the wheels. The tires will be ordered the week before the trailer arrives from the factory, probably at the end of January 2014.

I will install the 16" tires and wheels along with the Centramatics and McGard lugnuts before the trailer leaves the dealership lot. That way I can hopefully continue a zero tire issue Airstream experience.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
What are "centramatics"

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
What are "centramatics"
An ingenious balancing system that they unfortunately have not yet affirmed work w/Airstreams (wheel offset or something...).

Others here have used them with good results.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #49
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Yeah, I read the WARNING in Blue Beret about using Centramatics with my Nev R Lubes. I have chosen to assume risk and leave them on. (I do wonder if anyone who has them pulled them off as I result of the warning.) BTW, I think a TPMS system is a critical safety component. I added this when I bought the new wheels and tires. My tire shop also road force balanced my trailer tires before I mounted them on the trailer. Even with the LT's and the TPMS, I still check my tires with a walk around each day and a more careful look when I get to an overnight. Also do a manual pressure check before I leave the house. It's part of my "pre-departure" process. Like starting the fridge at least 24 hours before departure.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
Read through these and feel even better about my tire choice over the weekend. I moved over to the Michelin LTX MS2 in the 235/75 R 15 XLs.

I find it incredible that there is this whole "super secret" set of standards and specs to maintaining an Airstream trailer that many of us never get introduced to until something goes wrong. There seems to be only a few hitches and load distribution systems that are adequate also so that you do not tear the body up on your trailer also. Now we have the special wheel / hub assembly balancing practice so that the tires do not let go that we should have all "known" about. I am sure they balance the whole assembly at the factory.
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazyjohnny View Post
Read through these and feel even better about my tire choice over the weekend. I moved over to the Michelin LTX MS2 in the 235/75 R 15 XLs.

I find it incredible that there is this whole "super secret" set of standards and specs to maintaining an Airstream trailer that many of us never get introduced to until something goes wrong. There seems to be only a few hitches and load distribution systems that are adequate also so that you do not tear the body up on your trailer also. Now we have the special wheel / hub assembly balancing practice so that the tires do not let go that we should have all "known" about. I am sure they balance the whole assembly at the factory.
I think you will love your Michelins! As to the "secret info" - it's this way with everything that "guys" get involved in - believe me. I recently got a bit into shortwave radio and it is filled with secrets like this! It's part of the "guy thing"** to take all such technical or mechanical matters to their maximums. Frankly, it's one of the attractions of trailering for guys - special knowledge, special skills and so on. Go with it - it's fun. I am sure that people who never join clubs, never join forums, probably get by ok without "the knowledge" too.

**NOTE: This is not a knock against the women. They have their own special contributions, joys, systems of management and so on.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
Update on my situation!!!

I have my trailer back after several weeks of repair. I had my trailer repaired at Foley RV in Gulfport Mississippi. Wonderful service and they did a great job at repairing my trailer. When I had my trailer towed to Foley RV I wasn't able to meet in person with the dealer but Jim the service manager took all my calls and was great to work with to get the repairs done in a timely manner. Highly recommend Foley RV for service or repairs if you're in the area.

I ended up upgrading to the Sendel T03 16" silver wheels and Firestone Transforce HT 225/75/r16 wheels. I've had good experience with the Firestone HT's on my diesel truck and the Michelin's were backordered from the tire dealer I ordered from. I ordered the 4 rims and tires from www.performanceplustire.com for $1132 shipped to me mounted, balanced, and filled with nitrogen. The local discount tire wanted almost $1650 for the same setup.

The two hour tow from the dealer back to my RV park was great and had no issues. Hopefully in the fall or spring ill do an extended trip.

Here are the new pictures with the new rims and tires. Included is a night picture with my blue LED's I recently installed. Thanks for all the support and good discussion of tires in this thread. If you have any questions about my new tires and rims please PM ask or PM me.

FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
Tell me more about the blue led lights. I like.
Also I recently swapped the 15 inchers for 16's with Michelins, I think I can tell a difference.
Ramble On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
We're running a set of the Firestone Transforce on one of the gooseneck horse trailers. They have done well for us on this trailer.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMarine View Post

Well done on the tire upgrade, but that blue LED is THE BOMB!
Old 08-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
Thanks for the compliments on the blue led lights. Ill post a full write up on my installation in the lights section soon, but of you have any questions drop me a PM.. The quick response is that I got the led strips from www.coastalnightlights.com for $8 a foot long section. The guy that makes the products is a great guy and I have several of his spreader led lights for my boat as well. I also got a remote control set up from www.superbrightledlighs.com that is a simple setup to control the LEDs.

Here's a couple more pics of the lights.

FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
FLMarine,

Thanks for the info.

I want to pull the trigger on those, but looking for some way to make them bug-zappers