Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
wheels/tire 63 Overlander

Guy and Gals, I have tried to search what I am asking but dont see it.

I need to replace the wheels and tires on my 63 overlander. Unfortunately, I am not wher my camper is and dont have luxury of measuring and eyeballing what I have. I assume based on what I have read that I have 15 x 6 rims with 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern. I know the current tires are 7 x 15 bias ply.

Question: Are there any issues with a 63 vs more modern trailers with tire clearance etc. I need to order tires and wheels but cant afford for something not to fit. Will there be fitting issues if I go to a radial vs the bias ply etc.

Just trying to get a feel for the best way to approach this. Time is not my friend here so I am hoping to be able to order a sure bet and not have probs.

If anyone with an older could comment about issues they have run into with this subject or any tips etc I would appreciate it. Im not attempting to open a tire debate.

Thanks in advance.
Alcoa Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Part of your answer is going to be based on if the trailer axles have lost some of their ride height.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-16-2016, 06:30 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Thanks for the response Action. I see your point and yes these are the original axles and they definitely have some droop. On the other hand I was under the impression that if you jack the trailer, the wheels should come back some to yield a wider opening. Currently the trailer has 7 x 15 which is a hard tire size to find. Was hoping to maybe go the Michelin lt route if possible but I just dont see any info on this model trailer other than some folks have had trouble getting tires to fit in the wheel well. Obviously 7 x 15 would work. I went ahead and did order my rims which are sendel 15 x 6. Was hoping someone might be able to lend some insight on the older trailers and fitting LT type radials

Thanks again.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:12 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ire-82368.html

>>>>>Action
Old 03-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Thought I would share my experience and answer my own question now that I have had a chance to change the wheels and tires. Hopefully someone with a similar trailer can use the information.

First I used Sendel 6 on 5.5 wheels 15 x 6. I went with Michelin LT tires. I forget the exact nomenclature but they were the closest to a 7 x 15 bias ply tire that was on the trailer. The difference in size is that the Michelin is a bit shorter but a bit wider. I had an understanding with the tire man that if they didnt fit, he would take them back. We agreed.

I had them make a service call to the location where my trailer was. It cost 65.00 for the service but was better than me having to take trailer to them.

The tires will fit but it takes some work. The technician had to deflate the tires fully and sit on them to expel the air. Then he was able to wrestle them into the wheel wells. Once on and inflated they fit beautifully. This is probably not the ideal solution but since I assume if I ever have a problem I will be using roadside assistance, Im willing to pay them for the hassle. One issue of note is that the lug nuts I ordered from Sendel do not leave much tolerance in the holes on the rim. It requires a thin wall socket to fit properly. The mechanic had to go back to the shop to get the proper socket. I will be purchasing one to keep in the trailer.

I drove the tires from Auburn, AL to Dallas Texas. They rode great even though I need new axles. The originals from 63 are obviously past their prime. At every stop I placed my hand on them and they were cool as cucumbers. I averaged 65 mph but got as high as 80 mph.

Bottom line. This tire will work and works well but does require deflation to install. Hope this info is of help to someone in the future.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcoa Roller View Post
The tires will fit but it takes some work. The technician had to deflate the tires fully and sit on them to expel the air. Then he was able to wrestle them into the wheel wells. Once on and inflated they fit beautifully. This is probably not the ideal solution but since I assume if I ever have a problem I will be using roadside assistance, Im willing to pay them for the hassle. One issue of note is that the lug nuts I ordered from Sendel do not leave much tolerance in the holes on the rim. It requires a thin wall socket to fit properly. The mechanic had to go back to the shop to get the proper socket. I will be purchasing one to keep in the trailer.

......They rode great even though I need new axles. The originals from 63 are obviously past their prime.
Given that you stated you ned new axles, it is highly likely the old axles do not drop down much. After the axle replacement you should experience an added benefit of easier installation of the tires. Typically old axles will have very little drop when the trailer is lifted. Because of this it makes installing a tire more difficult. Especially one that is a bit wider than the original design.

>>>>>>>>>>Action