Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-26-2004, 06:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I'll have a set tomorrow on Mags.

Shop around...that price is high. Costco has been listed here for $92.

I'm getting the Marathons in a D rating mounted on a aluminum wheels for $149. That's NEW.

http://www.trailer-parts-forless.com...l_assembly.htm
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:44 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Seattle (Auburn), WA , I still love my dirty water and my Red Sox-originally from Boston!
Send a message via AIM to SUEHOWIE Send a message via Yahoo to SUEHOWIE
Wow...am I learning a lot from the forum. I am getting my first Airstream within the next month or so, and she has been sitting on the same lot for about 12 years. I was all excited about doing the actual renovation until someone mentioned about the tires, then I started doing research on the tires, and am now kind of overwhelmed but am learning a lot. I have a dual tandem axle 1957 26" Overlander. Two wheels. Got lots of good suggestions on the towing part of it, and then people started to talk to me about replacing the tires. I know I have a lot to learn, and I am good about doing a lot of research (sometimes to the point of overkill-but the safety of myself and others while I'm towing this isn't something I want to risk). I have a Discount Tire close to me, and would be able to get tires there...what would be best for my gal?

She just seems like a gal, for some reason. *shrug* I had a 1987 Firebird at one point that was definitely a HE. I can't explain that one.

Anyway, what would be best? I'd appreciate any suggestions.
SUEHOWIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
wheel/tire recommend for single ax. overlander (1957)

Greetings Suehowie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUEHOWIE View Post
Wow...am I learning a lot from the forum. I am getting my first Airstream within the next month or so, and she has been sitting on the same lot for about 12 years. I was all excited about doing the actual renovation until someone mentioned about the tires, then I started doing research on the tires, and am now kind of overwhelmed but am learning a lot. I have a dual tandem axle 1957 26" Overlander. Two wheels. Got lots of good suggestions on the towing part of it, and then people started to talk to me about replacing the tires. I know I have a lot to learn, and I am good about doing a lot of research (sometimes to the point of overkill-but the safety of myself and others while I'm towing this isn't something I want to risk). I have a Discount Tire close to me, and would be able to get tires there...what would be best for my gal?

She just seems like a gal, for some reason. *shrug* I had a 1987 Firebird at one point that was definitely a HE. I can't explain that one.

Anyway, what would be best? I'd appreciate any suggestions.
There are a number of issues to take into consideration:
  1. Your coach may still have split rims which were typically utilized as original equipment during this time period. Today, they are not generally considered to be safe as the two-parts must be precisely joined and the riggors of rust can prevent this -- so many shops will not work on these wheels. Most any tire dealer can obtain new wheels that will fit your coach. The easiest method is to take one of the current wheels with one of the tires that fit the coach to your tire dealer. Your tire dealer can then measure the rime for offset, bolt circle, and center diameter to specify the new wheels for your coach. The tire can be measured and compared to the current tire sizes to arrive at the closest likely fit. By having the tire shop perform these measurements, they are assuming more of the responsibility and will likely be more cooperative if the new equipment doesn't fit your coach properly.
  2. With many vintage coaches, fitting tires can be a rather critical process as wheel well clearances are often quite tight. Even with carefuly measurements, the newly installed tires need to be double-checked to verify that they aren't contacting either the frame or wheel well.
  3. There are two lines of thinking regarding tires. There are those who prefer ST rated tires while others prefer LT rated tires. To me, it is a personal choice. I have had good luck with Good Year Marathons since 1980 -- I have only had one failure in 28 years. Currently, I have ST 225 75 R15 load range D Marathons on my '64 Overlander.
  4. Typically, Load Range D tires are often suggested for the single axle Overlanders while Load Range C tires are usually suggested for the tandem axle coaches.
Goog luck with your tire investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:59 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
I'd rather have a well built 6 ply rated tire from Goodyear than a chinese tire with 8 actual plies.
Quote:
I think we're in total agreement than Carlisle chinese tires are less than adequate and that Goodyear tires are great.
Sorry to bust your bubble guys, but the Goodyear Marathons are made in China now also.

Tags