Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
The bottom pic looks easy and cheap. Like it.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #42
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne View Post
The bottom pic looks easy and cheap. Like it.
Yes! And far less likely to be nicked! The "between the tire" chocks worry me, you forget ONCE and it seems to me you'd have major damage, the others ...well driving over a chock wouldn't be good but not awful. Anyone here drive away with a between the wheel chock? What was the damage?
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #43
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
These are good... I have cast aluminum chicks that work fine.

What I notice is chocking on the side where I don't have leveling blocks still allows trailer rock.

So I will arrange both side locks.

One method I will try will be a 2x6 long enough to span my triple axles. On the end of board will be metal rings I can hook to. On each loop I will connect a wide webbed ratchet strap. The strap will go over top of tires. Then I can tighten strap to lock in the front and rear to a stable anchor... The board with 4000 pounds holding to ground.

Shouldn't move much and price is reasonable.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Yes! And far less likely to be nicked! The "between the tire" chocks worry me, you forget ONCE and it seems to me you'd have major damage, the others ...well driving over a chock wouldn't be good but not awful. Anyone here drive away with a between the wheel chock? What was the damage?
I have driven forward a few times forgetting the aluminum chocks. Each time mine rolled out toward the outside without damage to the trailer.

Maybe that's where my lost one went

I have driven over the plastic ones a few times and they flatten a bit. Another thing about plastic is they have an expiration date stamped on them. The plastic deteriorates due UV damage I suppose.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Like Alan, I have driven away a couple of times....no contact with the trailer and no tire damage.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:00 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
We use an x-chock thingy, one each side. We back it up with the yellow plastic chocks as well, just in case a tire lost pressure. They've been excellent. I did drive off once with them in place but all I did was drag the trailer with locked wheels for a few feet. No harm done.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I like the traditional wheel chocks. You NEED 2 of them. Most of the time I only use one if the site is relatively level but if there is any real incline put on two. They take away any rocking of the trailer, they can be locked and are quick and simple to install/remove - no tools needed. I had the Hensley (BAL) chock but sold them after getting these.
They are manufactured by a family in Angola, Indiana. Her name is Deb and you can email her at parttimerunner1@aol.com. They come in various sizes. I just bought another pair back in June for $55 each in the largest size.
Ended up with two of these. Great folks to deal with. Thanks for everyone's help and opinions. I always learn lots of good things on these threads.
Tom
Old 07-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Durango , Colorado
All this talk
Will help me chock
it up to experience ...

wry
awryawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by awryawry View Post
All this talk
Will help me chock
it up to experience ...

wry
Yikes - that was like fingernails on a chock board!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #50
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
I have a set of those aluminum chocks in my trailer. Haven't a clue how to use them.
janeinthemtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #51
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
What is the name of the company who makes these please? I have some in my new Airstream and haven't a clue how to use them. Thanks.
janeinthemtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Deb's email is: parttimerunner1@aol.com They don't have a web page that I am aware of.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
I made a pair like the ones Crispyboy posted out of a treated 4x4 some eye bolts and a small load binder. They work great and we get asked about them everywhere we camp. They are quick and easy.
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
I went to Rotochocks about a year ago and never looked back. They are byfar the best investment I've made for my AS in a long time. Not only do they work super easy, but you can put a padlock on them for added security. I have 2 but only lock one. I definately recommend them, and buy a pair.

Pap
I agree with Pap rotochocks work great for me and my 34 foot Clasic limited. I use two, one on each side, with pad locks to keep people honest. I find that the rotochocks keep the trailer from rocking and rolling too.

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
new chock, adapters, and jack stand

Ordered a new chock from Deb, the same size as my old chock, so I needed to use the add on adapters. I got the larger size chock so they will work with the Excella that I'm looking for.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010055.jpg
Views:	997
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	195591

Also ordered the add on adapters to increase the width of my old chock from the 1973 Excella so it would work with the 2000Safari. I think this one was made by Deb's dad in the early 1970's. Has KENCO stamped in the handle.

Name:	P1010056.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	357.8 KB
ID:	195592

Did not care much for the rusty jack stand that came with the Safari, so I ordered the short aluminum jack stand.

Name:	P1010057.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	490.5 KB
ID:	195593

I got these from Deb Kyle parttimerunner1@aol.com. She is great to work with! She answered every question before I ordered, kept me informed during the manufacture of the parts, and sent a tracking number once they shipped. I was a little skeptical about sending a check with the order, to someone I did not know, but I would not hesitate to do it again.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Love the chocks I got from her this summer. Easy to use and effective. Great folks to do business with.
Tom
Old 09-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Yellow Chocks in post 40

My first year I had a set of those, and in a rush to get out of a campground before being charged $10 for a late departure, completely forgot and drove OVER them. Squished flat. Didn't feel them resisting at all. So much for stopping a rolling Airstream. Good thing the ground was flat. Those super cheap chocks might keep a jet ski from rolling down a moderate grade, but anything that weighs a ton or more... you're gonna have a yellow pancake.

I now have the orange plastic leveling blocks and chocks. Those chocks are STRONG. I've built the "Change a tire ramp, ending with a chock to stop the tire from rolling too far. Those plastic ones are HEAVY duty. I think the yellow leveling blocks have an integrated heavy duty chock. Look at the weight rating and construction before buying chocks.

Someone gave me a Hensley between the tire chock and it works VERY well. I use one orange pair on the other side. Both work well, but I notice in all the old WWII pictures that airplane chocks always had a pair tied together with a rope. Handy to jerk them free from the wheel without being bent over if they've wedged due to soft ground or the A/S shifting. Also you don't lose one somewhere in the back of the truck. I like the security of the Hensley or the other between the wheel chocks that can be locked. A real deterrent
in an unfamiliar campground.

Sincerely,

Paula