Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
alameda , California
used tires?

This weekend I hope to move the Airstream to a friends ranch about 40 miles from it's current location. I don't want to buy new tires only to park the trailer for an indefinite length of time while it undergoes renovation and repair. The tires currently on the trailer are in poor shape, lots of sidewall checking. I haven't taken note of the date on them, but visually they aren't so great.
So, I'm looking for decent used tires for the short trip OR....maybe someone could loan me a set of tires & wheels for the tow? Any thoughts...ideas? Inner tubes?
Ruben J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I would assume you could pick up good used tires at any tire shop for say $5.00 plus mounting cost. Remember they have to pay to get rid of them so you are there best customer.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
alameda , California
yep, I've been googling tire shops in my area for an hour or so. I guess it's time to pick up the phone to see what's out there.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Remember they have to pay to get rid of them so you are there best customer.
in this case this is most likely an 'exchange' so you'll be paying the disposal fee. if you get passenger tires, just be very careful as they wiggle a whole lot more when towing because the sidewall are different.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I'm sure there are folks that disagree, but........

You've got 4 tires and if you take it easy it is very unlikely (but not impossible) you will get into trouble on a 40m tow. Even more unlikely you will loose more than 1 tire. I'm not saying there is no risk, but I think with a slow speed, you will come out OK. You can also tow a tandem on 3 wheels. Bring a spare and a helper. Your decision
Old 04-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
alameda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I'm sure there are folks that disagree, but........

You've got 4 tires and if you take it easy it is very unlikely (but not impossible) you will get into trouble on a 40m tow. Even more unlikely you will loose more than 1 tire. I'm not saying there is no risk, but I think with a slow speed, you will come out OK. You can also tow a tandem on 3 wheels. Bring a spare and a helper. Your decision
Oh... believe me, I've thought all about it. In fact, I've already towed it 100 miles to to where it is now, without brakes, and on the 20+ y/o rubber. That was at 3 in the morning with no traffic in the road. I figure I already rolled the dice and came out ok on that trip, but I'm uneasy about doing it again. I think I've got the brakes going now thanks to the input from some folks here. I feel pretty OK doing the remaining 40 miles in the early am with no traffic on the road, but if one blows I chance really screwing up the skin and maybe more. I'm thinking about it, esp. with the light wallet these days.........in any case, I don't feel entirely comfortable about the idea. Hmmmm....
Old 04-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I live in NM. a year or so ago I sold a 64 I found to a Airstream guy in Kansas. He is a dealer in vintage Airstreams. The trailer had the original tires and even had split rims. He came down with his mini van, a light bar, a jack and a couple of extra very well used tires and some grease for the bearings and proceeded to hitch up to the minivan and was gone in 15 minutes. Says this is how he does it all the time. I thought he was friggin nuts. I called him a couple of days later and he was still alive. He said he had one blowout and just threw on a spare. Par for the course.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:23 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
alameda , California
comforting. I'm leaning towards it. I don't have any spares though...still leaning. I'm going to put up a post to request tires from someone who might be replacing theirs in my area. With any luck....
Old 04-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben J View Post
comforting. I'm leaning towards it. I don't have any spares though...still leaning. I'm going to put up a post to request tires from someone who might be replacing theirs in my area. With any luck....
Since you don't have one, why not get a single spare tire and wheel?
Toss it and a lug wrench in the back of your truck, along with a couple of 18" lengths of 2x6. to run the non-flat tire up on to change the flat. If you get a flat.
My theory, such that it is, is you have a flat, replace it with the spare. If you have a second flat, remove the flat tire and wheel, and keep going at a reduced speed (45 mph or so). You'll eventually need a spare, so it isn't wasted money, and it can continue being a spare when you get a set of new tires.