Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
Tyron tire blowout protection

Thank you very much in advance to anyone with experience with the Tyron product. Our dealer is recommending it as an add-on product that they would install (for $995) on the wheels and is supposed to keep the tire affixed to the wheel in the event of a blowout. It is supposed to maintain steering control and protect damage to the wheel arch or body. Does this sound accurate or is it just an unnecessary expensive otion? thank you again for any help.
hartmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
_

. , .
for those who want a bit more info/background the product in question is here...

Tyron Automotive

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
It appears to enable you to drive on a flat but I dont see how it will keep a tire from ripping apart and damaging your wheelwell.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I would like to see how much they sell for - also the pressure monitoring system. I guess you can only find out from dealers.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I wonder how well it would work on Goodyear Marathons. After the tread and sidewalls separated from the bead and ran alongside our Airstream for a couple of hundred feet, it's hard to imagine this would do much good. Maybe if they put some rubber tread on that metal band, it would work with GYMs.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
It's such a simple device - all it does is fill in the rim channel so if you lose tire pressure your tire lip doesn't dip into the channel, stays reasonably centered and collapses evenly on the inner and outer rim.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
_

. , .
the product is interesting...

and it IS A TOPIC not previously covered here, anywhere.

so GOOD JOB hart' for starting this new patch of info/sharing....

the website/vendor uses a LOT of fear factors to promote, that's a turn off 4 many of us.

still it's easy to see how someone TOTALLY new to rv'n could be influenced.

our tv/stream and the people inside (and pets) are always at risk and those risks are real.

it MIGHT have some value on a moho (steering axle/tires) to save a wheel or alter control after a blow out...

but there are many ways to alter blowout control and not a lot of independent data suggesting this tool is useful.

my understanding is this priced at about 1000$.
________

on a travel trailer (especially a multi axle unit like the OP has) control is less the issue than collateral damage.

many folks report NOT even knowing a tire is down until they stop or someone WAVES at them.

so a better notion is using a TPMS and watching for heat, sudden or gradual pressure loss and so on...

tpms systems are well covered here and generally run 3-600$ depending on # of monitored tires.

the UPside of an aftermarket tpms is that IF the tv doesn't have this system oem....

one can simply buy more monitors and include the tv tires...

my gizmo is currently monitoring 12 tires for pressure/temp but has capacity for 18...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ems-62214.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post777594

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Having experience a blowout, it wouldn't have helped my rv damage as tread was culprit as it slapped the underside, on stopping tire was still on rim, so at best you would have a 50% saving of rv. Invest in tire pressure monitors for the same money, or a lot cheaper with a handheld ir thermometer from radio shack or harbor freight, extra heat being a sign of something wrong.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:05 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
San Diego , California
Thank you everyone for the very helpful responses. We are newbies so the potential is certainly there to get sucked into some of the fear/pressure tactics. Fortunately, we have you guys! Looks like, if anything, an aftermarket tpms is the way to go. Thank you again very much!
hartmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:51 AM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I, also, can not see how this device can prevent damage to the trailer from flapping tire parts after a blow out. I would think that a quality tire pressure monitoring system would be a better investment.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #11

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Burbank , California
Send a message via Skype™ to runflat
Answers on Tyron Tire Blowout Protection

Hello Airstream owners:

I noticed some questions on our products this morning on your forum and would invite any member to feel free to contact me personally about the effectiveness of Tyron Tire Blowout Protection for your Airstream.

As a manufacturer of both the Tyron Blowout Protection and Tyron TPMS, these products accomplish different things. A TPMS system may warn the driver of a tire which is losing air (or is getting hot as Tyron systems also show tire temperature). but a TPMS system will not alert you or prevent a tire from blowing out...so that is where Tyron Blowout Protection earns its stripes.

Most damage to your towed vehicle is done after the wheel flange comes into contact with the pavement and shreds the sidewall of the tire. Because Tyron will not allow the wheel to come into contact the pavement, the tire will not come apart.

Recently, a customer with a towable got a blowout on a two lane mountain road. There was literally no place to stop for help or service. This customer wrote to us and said he was able to drive for twenty miles on the flat tire (at slow speeds of course), to get off the mountain. He had no damage to the bodywork.

Tire blowouts are not common but often result in serious and sometimes expensive consequences. I would urge any Airstream owner to check into
our products...we have a 30-year history worldwide and not ever a single claim for Tyron Blowout Protection not to perform it primary function.

Rick Cole, CEO
Tyron Automotive Group USA
WEB: Tyron Automotive
runflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #12
_

. , .
as a new vendor, welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runflat View Post
...Most damage to your towed vehicle is done after the wheel flange comes into contact with the pavement and shreds the sidewall of the tire.
Because Tyron will not allow the wheel to come into contact the pavement, the tire will not come apart...
have u got VIDEO evidence of this happening on a stream?

a DUAL or TRIPLE axle stream has independent suspension at EACH wheel...

and can safely run on ONE or 2 tires per side,

withOUT the hub/wheel coming in contact with the pavement...

tires do shred but it's simply from being flat and flopping/rolling or from tread or belts separating...

and it's the TIRE that's STILL in contact with the pavement...

again the wheel doesn't COME in contact with the roadway.

IF someone has a flat (on a dual/triple axle) and no spare is immediately available,

the flat tire can be REMOVED and the trailer towed 50 miles or more at slower speeds...

((assuming the other tires are properly inflated))

older single axle streams have a 'skid loop' welded just inside each wheel to help with support...

still on a SINGLE axle unit something like this might be useful.

cheers
2air'

Old 09-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
This would be a highly desirable product for us with single axles who travel a lot. No greater fear than flat changing on the freeway or secondary road without a shoulder.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Thanks for contacting us at airforums. I am constantly looking for ways of making my TV and TT better and safer. I am looking at purchasing a TPMS in the near future.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #15
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I've admired these for quite a while, both the retention device and the TP monitor system as offered.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Tyron Update?

Thought I would bump this thread....does anyone have any experience with Tyron Bands since this thread was last updated?
Old 05-02-2018, 07:01 PM   #17
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
guess not
Old 05-03-2018, 06:49 AM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
Thought I would bump this thread....does anyone have any experience with Tyron Bands since this thread was last updated?
Been reading this and some other RV boards, and, in over a dozen years the question has only come up a couple of times.

This thread has most info of those.

“Value” appears to be more to the tow vehicle.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:05 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
What do you have to consider when it' time to have the tires changed out and there are tyron bands on the rims? Do they stay "stationary" on the rim channel or do they expand when the old tire is removed?
Old 05-03-2018, 07:16 AM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Company literature covers servicing