Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
TV Tire Recommendation

I have an 06 Dodge 3500 Cummins which came with Michelin 265/70-17 Load Range E tires. I have approx 55K miles on them and have been pleased. While I have some treadwear left, I am thinking of replacing them at this point. I tow a 2000 Limited 34 w/Sofa SO which is a heavy trailer. I would appreciate any recommendations based on experience as to replacing them with the same tires or something different. I have always bought Michilens and have always been pleased.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I like the Michelin XPS Rib tire for my trucks. It's expensive but is a commercial grade tire and suitable for heavy loads. There is also a XPS Traction tire available too but I never used that tire as the Rib style has plenty of traction for the way I drive.
The ride is smooth and quiet and I find it holds the road well. Tire Rack rates the Rib XPS tire high on their tire comparison charts if you care to check them out.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:20 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
I think one of the best kept secrets in tires are the BF Goodrich Commercial T/As. Also load range E, low rolling resistance, yet good snow/rain performance. They max at 80 PSI so they can make for a bumpy ride but the tread lasts forever. When I got them for my TV 5 years ago, they where under $90 a tire.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Fort McCoy , Florida
Yokahama makes a 10 ply tire called the Geolander AT-S, It is slightly aggressive, yet quiet and I have been in snow and black ice towing a Ambassador 29 AS. I paid $130 ea at Discount Tire for the 16" version. I normally buy American, but they are all in the maximum ratings for towing and about $40 bucks less than the tires in the above postings!
Mrwaterway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I replaced the same tire you mention on my "new" truck when purchased. The original tires had gone 120,000 miles (highway) with the original owner. Few get less than 80,000 from them. For economy and long life it is impossible to beat.

They could be better in the rain, according to some reports, and as a highway tire are not at all suitable for limited offroad (the truck is too heavy). MICHELIN has a companion version with what appears to be a better tread design. That's what I would look at were limited offroad a consideration (mine is a 2WD):

LTX A/T 2

Michelin LTX A/T 2

Why change from one of the best tires ever made? Mine needed nearly zero weight to balance; and, after measuring each tire in [16] places I finally had them rotated at 23,000-miles. Treadwear at that point was a little over 2/32's, with the outer edges of the FF tires nearing 3/32's). I am careful about inflation, and have found DODGE pressure numbers to be ideal (50/50 psi FF/RR, solo; up to 50/70 psi FF/RR fully loaded).

I paid just over $1,000 to drive away from DISCOUNT TIRE after everything was replaced and HUNTER GSP-9700 balanced. I expect close to 100,000 miles of wear (or, 5-years).

At some point I will add CENTRAMATIC balancers as icing on the cake as big rig drivers I have known have touted their help in adding miles to tires, and I look forward to adding a tire pressure monitor for a future trailer that will include the TV.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
I talked with the tire dealer I buy from and he agreed that I should go back with the same tires Michelin LTX A/S 265/70-17 Load Range E
I replaced them today including balancing and alignment for $884.
I just put Centramatics on my trailer. Are you thinking about adding them to the TV as well? I also just installed Pressure Pro with monitors for my TV and trailer.
WBCCI #4358
Old 12-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I just put Centramatics on my trailer. Are you thinking about adding them to the TV as well?

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums - View Single Post - Centramatics=Good

Centramatic Wheel Balancers 3/4 Ton 8 Hole 300-308 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Yes, my TT had them. I plan to have them (or, BALANCEMASTER) on the TV. For all that I love the CTD it does need help with N-V-H (noise-vibration-harmonics), and I figure that anything along that line -- balancing -- may be of help, however minor or indirect.

Along with that, a BALANCEMASTER driveshaft balancer

Balance Masters

and a FLUIDAMPER harmonic dampener on the engine.

Cummins® Performance Dampers by Fluidampr®

If I get carried away, then an ATP kit for sound control.

Dodge67Cummins2009

DodgeRam

(I find that 300-miles is about all I want to drive the truck. Smooth, vibration-free is the goal. The truck is good, but not yet good enough).

Vibration: 3rd Generation Dodge Ram Trucks - Carson Dodge Chrysler Jeep Support

As an ex-Class 8 driver (I think), I'm also intrigued by this:

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d....html?t=145241

And, finally, the rear suspension:

+++ Leaf Springs +++

MOR/ryde - Products - Suspensions - Tow Vehicles

While you may find any of the above simply interesting and nothing more, the one product I would recommend is:

Dodge Ram 2500 (w/diesel engine) Sway Bar - Rear bars by Hellwig

That, and Bilstein shock absorbers pretty well completes the picture on a CTD Dodge.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Thanks for the great information.
WBCCI #4358
Old 02-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
LTX Inflation Chart

I had an old copy of the Michelin paperwork that contained inflation charts, had a couple of folks ask for a copy so I finally found an electronic copy. I cut out the LT section to reduce the file size...

According to Michelin and the Cat scales, I should be running 35 PSI front and 40 PSI rear on my LT265/70R17 LRE (3740 lbs F, 4060 lbs R scale weights with the lightly loaded trailer). It drives better at 45/45...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Michelin_TruckLtTruck_Databook LT Section.pdf (399.1 KB, 58 views)
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
...According to Michelin and the Cat scales, I should be running 35 PSI front and 40 PSI rear...
should or could?

i view the generic tables provided by ANY tire manufacturer as MINIMUM inflations for the given load...

not the ideal inflation pressures for a given vehicle/tire combo...

even mich' hedges toward this notion, see page 1...

"To ensure correct air pressure and vehicle load, refer to vehicle owner’s manual or tire information placard in the vehicle"

so either they're being intentionally vague, or realize that minimum inflation/load tables for the TIRE ALONE are insufficient.

without evidence to the contrary, it appears that IF one stays ABOVE the minimum (for load) and BELOW the max side wall...

then consults the vehicle door pillar guide...

and tacks on personal driving feedback at pressures withIN that range...

it's all good.

of course IF one is using magically pure nitrogen for inflation, be sure to consider the work of amedeo avogodro in the process.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
My 99 Dodge came with Michelin LTX/AS. I continue to replace with the same tire and I have never gotten less than 100k out of a set and never seen any cupping or funny wear patterns.
I tow commercially and have 547k on the truck.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
should or could?...

...i view the generic tables provided by ANY tire manufacturer as MINIMUM inflations for the given load...

of course IF one is using magically pure nitrogen for inflation, be sure to consider the work of amedeo avogodro in the process.

cheers
2air'
amedeo avogodro
AHHHH - 2nd year Chemistry Flashbacks!!!! I thought I had successfully killed those brain cells.

Should or Could...Could is correct. I agree these are MINIMUMS and not Targets...if I were 100% confident that 1) I would have no leakage 2) the loads were completely stable 3) the roads were flat 4) the truck drove good 5)...oh heck, ain't none of those gonna happen...THEN I could get buy with those pressures.

The other end of the PSI scale, running max psi, in my particular case, make the truck soooo dicey its hard to drive.

So this chart simply gives me a range of pressures to try while I watch temps, wear, ride, oversteer, understeer, trail braking, proper corner exit under full throttle, turn in characteristics...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
My 99 Dodge came with Michelin LTX/AS. I continue to replace with the same tire and I have never gotten less than 100k out of a set and never seen any cupping or funny wear patterns.
I tow commercially and have 547k on the truck.
This is what we run on our '97 4x4 crewcab PowerStroke; excellent life, good traction and works well in snow. No complaints at all....

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The OEM tire on the Dodge Ram 2500 & 3500 has for some time been the MICHELIN ATX A/S in 265/R70-17 (Load Range E). There are testimonials all over the web on this tire lasting above 100,000 miles. I replaced the OEM tires on mine at purchase when they had 120,000 miles (and the truck had just had the first brake job).

Matching load to pressure is the key to longest life. And jacking the tire pressure up to maximum isn't the answer as that both increases the chance of punctures and irregular tread wear, and decreases braking (tire patch contact), roughens ride and worsens handling (especially when wet).

The problem has been in determining what is the exact best pressure for a given rig (respecting manufacturer numbers). On mine, a 2WD (with slightly different GVWR and tire pressure recommendations than the equivalent 4WD) is 50-psi FF & 70-psi RR for maximum loading. Solo, 50FF/50RR.

From Post #47 of this thread,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...tml#post474405

I had a Solo scale reading on the rear axle of mine of:

3,580-lbs DRIVE AXLE

And a Loaded scale weight of:

4,500-lbs DRIVE AXLE

From the MICHELIN Load/Pressure Chart provided in the above link:

Solo (1,800-lbs per tire)

I need approximately 39-psi per rear tire.

Loaded (2,250-lbs per tire)

I need approximately 50-psi per rear tire.

In other words, there doesn't appear to be a need to increase tire pressure on the truck rear. A Load Range E tire has capacity to spare and the stock recommended pressure appears adequate according to the tire manufacturer AND the truck manufacturer.

Would it "hurt" to increase pressure another 5-psi? Seems it wouldn't. (And having experimented with 40-psi I find no appreciable increase in ride comfort, handling, etc.)

And, if after 1.5-hours of steady state driving there was no more than a 3-psi rise, it would seem to be as "correct" as could be hoped for. For that day . . at that same speed, etc.

As on another day, on a rough road, with a different load in truck and trailer, in hotter or colder weather, with regular stop-and-go traffic, etc, an adjustment upwards may be needed.

Pressures that are too low for optimal handling are those where sidewall flex is high, but, with this sort of tire "optimal" may not be much of a change (if, indeed, it can actually be determined). Hard to argue, then, with 2Airs idea about adding a few pounds above what is "indicated".

If I understand correctly, some of the tire pressure monitors (TRYON) have interior temperature monitors to set an alarm (don't know if there is a readout), and there are those of us already using IR temp guns to check tires, hubs & brakes on the exterior.

Seems to me that with some tools and record-keeping that one could cover a variety of scenarios and be ready to move tire pressures accordingly for that given rig.

The next question would be: what is an ideal tire pressure gauge?

Below are some links prepped for another site with a similar ongoing discussion. These are commercial tire and consumer tire links for those with an interest in a larger context.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Article) OVERDRIVE Magazine 12/2008

"Matching Tire Pressure to Load" (John Baxter)

The tire’s contact patch should be as large as possible while keeping a healthy amount of pressure and maintaining even contact between all the areas of the patch and the road. That means adjustment to reach “the optimal pressure for the load,” rather than inflating the tire to the same cold pressure all the time, says Doug Jones, customer engineering support manager at Michelin North America.

http://www.overdriveonline.com/match...ssure-to-load/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Article) BULK TRANSPORTER NEWS 9/2008

"Five tips to control your tire costs and improve vehicle performance, safety

With tires ranked as the second highest operating cost after fuel, a solid tire maintenance program can help reap solid dividends. Knowing the proper inflation level for your truck tires is crucial. TMC Recommended Practice (RP) 235 states the following determines the correct air pressure for a given load:

• Tire size and load rating
• Weight carried on each axle
• Number of tires on each axle
• Maximum speed the vehicle travels during its operation

http://bulktransporter.com/fleet/tru..._control_0908/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Website) [Barry's Tire Tech

. . I hope you noticed how flat the wear index is for the radial tire. I interpret this to mean that conducting a "chalk test" is not a good way to determine what the best pressure is for wear.

http://www.barrystiretech.com/sae800087synopsis.html

(.pdf) FIRESTONE MEDIUM & LIGHT TRUCK DATA BOOK

(see pages 52 for truck fuel economy discussion; and page 64 (+/-) for load /pressure tables.)

http://www.trucktires.com/firestone/...ckDataBook.pdf