Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2015, 08:05 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shreveport , Louisiana
I have a Toyota truck tow vehicle that has the OEM TPMS. The wheel sensors are internal with only the metal valve stems showing external. One or more of the sensors are now non-functional. I assume this is a battery issue which requires new sensors. Should there be an issue installing this system on these original TPMS valve stems?

Thanks,
Jim
Endodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:42 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Pat TST recommends metal stems. Weight of the senders will flex the rubber stems. If you have external sensors get metal stems, have the tire shop balance the tires with the senders installed and you will have a happier tire/wheel. Mine are smiling all of the time. Can't see the trailer in the blinding glare of happy tires I paid $10 per tire for Discount Tire to pull them off, install the metal stem, spin balance and remount.
You can run the 507RV Cap Sensor on a rubber valve stem safely as Jerry said. He did also say that a metal valve stem is better than a rubber valve stem, no flex and they can't dry rot. I agree if you balance the tires with sensors on your tire will be happy😀 If you prefer a flow through sensor than you will need a metal stem due the weight and length of the sensor.
Thanks
Mike Benson
TST
mbenson1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:41 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
Have txt non flow thru on 36' fifth wheel and Dodge dually. Have worked fine for a year, no repeater, no real problems. Trading for 28' flying cloud and they will go on as soon as valve stems get changed to metal. Probably need to reset new pressures as I got confused when done originally!

Good luck and safe travels.
senioryakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
Just finishing a 3400 mile trip to Nebraska and return with our new TST system. Both my wife and I really like this system. Continual feedback from the sensors is really helpful. Much better than the TM system we had.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Cumming , Georgia
Thanks Tater!!
Mike Benson
TST TPMS
Old 08-11-2015, 05:30 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Well, I broke down and purchased a system yesterday. After getting a first hand review from an Airstream buddy in our club and doing on-line research, I went with the TireTraker TT-400C. It also had excellent reviews, was less expensive, and came with a 3 year warranty.

Again, thanks for all the input to my original question.
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Has anyone installed the internal TST TPMS? Does that work well? I think I would prefer that but I have 2 main questions. 1. Will it fit my 16 inch rims that came on my 25FB Eddie Bauer without any issues? 2. Is there a set with only 4 internal TPMS sensors - the only one listed for sale is $474 from TST with 6 internal sensors is too expensive. If it could be purchased for $158 less (the cost of 2 sensors) I would likely go for it.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by march View Post
Has anyone installed the internal TST TPMS? Does that work well? I think I would prefer that but I have 2 main questions. 1. Will it fit my 16 inch rims that came on my 25FB Eddie Bauer without any issues? 2. Is there a set with only 4 internal TPMS sensors - the only one listed for sale is $474 from TST with 6 internal sensors is too expensive. If it could be purchased for $158 less (the cost of 2 sensors) I would likely go for it.

I have the internal TST TPMS for my trailer but I still have 15" rims. I can't imagine why they wouldn't fit your 16" wheels but TST would be best to answer that question.

I honestly don't remember what I paid for it but I thought it was in the $400 range for just the 4 sensors and monitor kit.

This is our 3rd season with it - still no need to change batteries (the only downside w/internals - you have to dismount the tire to remove the sensor and send it back to them).

When I scrubbed the curbside Michelins on some road work (just a year old - crap!) I took the trailer in for replacements. I forgot I left the monitor on in my truck and when they broke the seal on the tire, the alarm went off - just as advertised.

No problems with it - very happy to have it and very happy with their level of customer service.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:36 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by march View Post
Hello, Please call me regarding the 507 Internal TST TPMS. Yes it will work with your size wheels, and yes the price for a 4 sensor kit is $319.00, you will probably want to talk about adding a repeater also. Please call me at 770-889-9102 Thanks, Mike Benson TST
Old 08-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Mike did you get my email?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #51
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Our 34' with 2500 crew cab needed the repeater for reliability. Now we rarely "lose" a sensor signal. Sensor signal loss usually occurs in metro areas where you are trapped in traffic of 18wheelers.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Best Customer Service

The TST TMPS system is great and you won't find any better customer service than that provided by Mike and his team. Just returned from a 5900 mile trip to Wyoming. Mike responded promptly to a question I had while on the trip.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Cumming , Georgia
Did you send it to mbenson@tsttruck.com?
Old 08-13-2015, 10:37 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Yes

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I installed the TST 507 system with a 30 foot Airstream and my Ford Excursion. We have had quite a few issues trying to establish a connection with some of the tires and also keep that connection once underway. I bought a repeater and I'm trying it out, I plugged it in last night and I found that the repeater did not help in the amount of time it takes to establish a connection with the tires. I am assuming that all the repeater does is help solidify the signal, I'll try it out this weekend and see how it goes.

When parked in my shop I get a connection to all of the tires in less than five minutes, however when out on the road that's where we have these ongoing issues.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
I bought a TST ssystem but it's still in the box. Waiting on our 2016 Airstream to be built and delivered this month hopefully. Questions for you guys in the know. When the system loses signal when underway does the alarm sound? I watched the video on the TST website and that beep drove my dog nuts. She rides in backseat and alarms going off all the time would not be a good thing.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:42 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
I bought a TST ssystem but it's still in the box. Waiting on our 2016 Airstream to be built and delivered this month hopefully. Questions for you guys in the know. When the system loses signal when underway does the alarm sound? I watched the video on the TST website and that beep drove my dog nuts. She rides in backseat and alarms going off all the time would not be a good thing.
I have used TST 507s on my 25FB for two years. I have the external non-flow-thru version. I got the repeater to begin with, and normally use it (I have it mounted above the rear window on my SUV). With the repeater I always maintain contact with the tires. When I forget to plug in the repeater, I still read all the tires, but I don't know how reliable that is.

I did once leave the receiver turned on when I left my trailer at a campground and went on a day trip. The alarm for "lost contact" sounded 90 minutes later. I consider that useless.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
The "lost contact" alarm always scares the crap out of me when going down the road. The one thing I do not like.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:29 PM   #59
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
The "lost contact" alarm always scares the crap out of me when going down the road. The one thing I do not like.
I added a repeater which resolved most situations.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:41 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Ted, You may have missed the earlier post where I, and a couple of others, wrote that we experienced a bad monitor with the TST 507 system. Contacting the company resulted in an immediate replacement, no questions asked.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote