Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2021, 02:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Muscoda , Wisconsin
TST 507 flow thru or RV

Our 2021 FC 25 has valve stems that are metal down to the point just before where the stem enters the wheel the junction at this point is rubber.

I showed a picture of the valve stems to the man who runs our local tire dealership.
He said they were high pressure stems and that I could put the 507 flow thru caps on them.
Do you think the flow thru caps will work on the stems I described?

I'd like to buy the TPMS before we pick up the trailer (a trip of about 250 miles).

I have a picture of the valve stem but I have not cracked the code of getting pictures in my posts (yet).
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:05 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
507 Flow thru on High Pressure Valve Stems

For whatever it is worth: This is one user report:

I have been running the 507 flow thru on high pressure stems for 4 years without a problem so far.

I do plan to replace them with metal valve stems as I change tires.
I had purchased metal valve stems 4 years ago when I bought the new tires, but the metal stems purchased would not work with the factory equipped rims. So the shop installed high pressure stems.

I now have metal valve stems in the glove box that are compatible and will use those as tires get replaced.

Not Compatible:
Veteran Tire and Rubber Inc. VTR TR416L - 2" Outer Mount Metal Valve Stem (4 Pack)
Rim did not have clearance for Wrench to tighten nut.

Compatible:
Haltec Aluminum Tire Valve, .453 In Hole Size - N-1600 (Pack of 5)
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
You'll likely get two different answers. One is yes, they will be fine. The other is no, you should put metal valve stems in.

The true test is time.

That being said, I put metal stems in my wheels.

If you monitor the rim right where the 507 transmitter cap screws on, you'll be able to tell if they are wobbling during travel because you'll be able to see the mark made when they hit the rim. That's why I went with metal stems.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
When I switched to GY Endurance, the shop installed low pressure stems (by mistake). They did not QA the work so no one caught the mistake. I didn't know enough to recognize they had installed LP stems. The bill said I paid for HP stems.

After about a year one valve stem just spit the brass valve out of the rubber stem - on a warm FL Day returning from the FL Keys. It cost me a time, but luckily no other trailer damage. That's when I decided I needed a TPMS.

To square away the mess I was able to get full metal high pressure valve stems. I had the same debate about which TST sensors to buy. The TST literature is a bit cryptic on which sensors can be used with semi-metal high pressure tire stems.

I opted for the regular sensors rather than the "flow thru" model based on the belief that it wasn't much of a bother to loosen/remove the standard sensor to add air as required. NOTE: TST has revised the design of the cap sensors so they are much easier to remove and replace than the original design.

In my opinion the more compact cap sensor is worth the trade off of the slightly more work when it comes to tire pressure adjustment. They provide an easy to us wrench for the locknut used to secure the cap sensor.

Per this add from their website (see image below), flow thru sensors require full metal valve stems. You must be careful to insure that "high pressure" stems are used because of the pressure range of the GY Endurance tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TST.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	390996  
Specsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:24 AM   #5
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
when we had the GYE installed we requested metal stems in order to use TST 507 flow thru caps - I would not use them on rubber.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Tom, I believe TST recommends full metal stems for flow-through sensors due to extra weight and rotational mass. They claim you can use the factory stems for cap sensors.

I didn’t want to take a chance and had Discount Tire install the Dill metal stems and balance the wheels with the caps installed. I was in and out of there in an hour.

I didn’t want to risk a failure caused by the very device I’m depending on preventing/minimizing and event.

If you’re planning on flow-through sensors I’d recommend changing out the stems to all metal. Peace of mind...

-Jeff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3290772B-8DE5-4DBA-BC86-B79863CE3C60.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	391033   Click image for larger version

Name:	254675E8-FB36-4A81-8CC5-72F1EA11B49B.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	391034  

Name:	5D60A776-CB8C-4326-9680-9D2B995D4B4F.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	452.9 KB
ID:	391035   Click image for larger version

Name:	F3303B7A-C90C-4DE0-9E2C-8081951B6EE7.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	475.0 KB
ID:	391036  

WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:38 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
Boca Raton , Florida
Use metal stems especially on pass-thru’s
Joohntooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:04 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Cap Sensor versus Flow Thru

For TST Specific users:

Who is using the newer Cap sensors that have the replaceable batteries?

Do you use the Locking nut?
If someone is not worried about theft of the sensor, then is it really as simple as just unscrew the cap sensor like you would any dust cap to check tire pressure?

If it is that easy to check pressure and add air by simple unscrewing the cap sensor, why mess with the Flow thru anymore?

Please help refresh my memory:
Years ago the cap sensor only came in a Non-replaceable battery option and the Flow Thru had the replaceable battery. I bought the flow thru, and now seeing the cap sensors with CR2032 battery, I regret having the flow thru and worrying about every time I buy new tires, having to worry about having compatible metal valve stems on hand.......I think it is a good practice to replace valve stems when replacing tires, and the likelihood I will have a new set of valve stems every 4 years on hand is just something extra to worry about. My tire shop definitely did not have compatible stems in stock.

I am thinking of getting the Cap Sensors and forgetting all about the flow through if it is as simple as unscrew the cap to check pressure and add air.
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeSag View Post
For TST Specific users:

Who is using the newer Cap sensors that have the replaceable batteries?

Do you use the Locking nut?
If someone is not worried about theft of the sensor, then is it really as simple as just unscrew the cap sensor like you would any dust cap to check tire pressure?

If it is that easy to check pressure and add air by simple unscrewing the cap sensor, why mess with the Flow thru anymore?

Please help refresh my memory:
Years ago the cap sensor only came in a Non-replaceable battery option and the Flow Thru had the replaceable battery. I bought the flow thru, and now seeing the cap sensors with CR2032 battery, I regret having the flow thru and worrying about every time I buy new tires, having to worry about having compatible metal valve stems on hand.......I think it is a good practice to replace valve stems when replacing tires, and the likelihood I will have a new set of valve stems every 4 years on hand is just something extra to worry about. My tire shop definitely did not have compatible stems in stock.

I am thinking of getting the Cap Sensors and forgetting all about the flow through if it is as simple as unscrew the cap to check pressure and add air.
GeeSag, we have the newer caps with replaceable batteries. I use the lock nut to secure the cap once it’s seated. If I have to add air before a trip it takes maybe 30 seconds longer to back off the nut and retighten. Really not a big deal.

I checked with the local Discount Tire store first and they had to order the stems; only took a day to get. You could always buy a spare set for next time.

I’m very happy with the new cap sensors. Good luck with your decision.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:28 AM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
When I had Discount Tire replace my stems, I had one that was not seated correctly and had a slight leak. They took care of it right away and gave me several replacement stems in case of failure on the road. It has been several years and no problems.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:53 AM   #11

2019 25' International
Terre Haute , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Our 2021 FC 25 has valve stems that are metal down to the point just before where the stem enters the wheel the junction at this point is rubber.

I showed a picture of the valve stems to the man who runs our local tire dealership.
He said they were high pressure stems and that I could put the 507 flow thru caps on them.
Do you think the flow thru caps will work on the stems I described?

I'd like to buy the TPMS before we pick up the trailer (a trip of about 250 miles).

I have a picture of the valve stem but I have not cracked the code of getting pictures in my posts (yet).
They have caused multiple leaks on my 2019 25. I would not use them. They loosen the stem at the rubber junction. I have taken mine off after 2 years. Will be happy to sell you my set if you decide to use them.
Wwdrummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I like the cap sensors. I took the anti theft ring off and just use my fingers. I rarely need to add air to the trailer tires. Maybe twice a year. Maybe not that often. The cap sensors are pretty small and light weight.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote