Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Never ending issue, isn't it . . .

Well, I can't say anything about tires on 70s or 80s coaches, but I have gotten a smattering of info on original equipment for 60s coaches. I tried to get absolute specifications on tires for my 1960 TW directly from the factory, or get them to name a replacement. Even though I was very direct about the info I wanted they wouldn't commit to anything specific; but they did email the brochure sheet on the 1960 TW. You can find it here in another post if you like.

The brochure indicates 1960s came with 700-15, 8 ply truck type tubless tires. The 1959 and 1963 brochures are on the VAC site. In 1959 tires aren't even mentioned. The 1963 brochure states all single axles came with 700-15 tubeless truck 8 ply. All tandum axles and the Globetrotter had 700-15 tubeless truck 6 ply. The Bambi had 650-13 4 ply white sidewalls.

So, from this information I can go with 700-15 LTs and be exactly where I need to be with my wheels, right?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:27 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
For the 1970s vintage

A little more digging and I found information on the 1974 models from a link within the forum. Check this. Its hard to read but about 1/2 way down the first column of specs it says:

15” truck type extra strength wheels with 700x15 nylon tubeless tires (8 ply on single axle models, 6 ply on tandem axle models).

It doesn't sound like Airstream went into much detail on tires or ratings for these earlier coaches.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:17 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
A little more digging and I found information on the 1974 models from a link within the forum. Check this. Its hard to read but about 1/2 way down the first column of specs it says:

15” truck type extra strength wheels with 700x15 nylon tubeless tires (8 ply on single axle models, 6 ply on tandem axle models).

It doesn't sound like Airstream went into much detail on tires or ratings for these earlier coaches.
So... it would seem that the same wheel was used for both 6 and 8 ply tires . Still puzzled about the cracking statement .
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:52 AM   #84
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Trailer Tires

Trouble is Andy has seen the wheels split and I have seen old wheels split on even automoblies, usually along the weld in the middle of the drop center or where the center disc is welded to the rim.
You might get away with it or not. Roll the dice.
At least you only have to buy three wheels and tires, not five.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:55 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Trailer Tires

I have seen old wheels on cars split on occasion (32PSI). They usually split where the center disc was welded to the rim.
It’s a roll of the dice, try it if you like. At least you will only be buying 3 wheels and tires instead of 5.
Beginner
Old 01-26-2007, 05:29 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner
I have seen old wheels on cars split on occasion (32PSI). They usually split where the center disc was welded to the rim.
It’s a roll of the dice, try it if you like. At least you will only be buying 3 wheels and tires instead of 5.
Beginner
What caused the failures on the ones you have seen.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:30 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Trailer Tires

On the ones I have seen the rim crack where the center disc was either welded or riveted to it.
I never saw one explode but just began losing air. The worst one I have ever seen was cracked half way around. It went really fast. The driver said he heard a whoosh and the wheel pulled to the right. He was only doing 25 mph. It just gave way. He was lucky.
The wheel was a welded wheel.
Beginner
Old 02-05-2007, 05:32 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Argghhh.....

Quote:
We have what I presume are the original wheels on our 71. I've always trusted Inland Andy. Read his comments above about not going from load range C to D. The confusing part is my original owners manual says: "the recommended tire pressure if you use 6 ply tires is 45 psi and if you use 8 ply tires is 60 psi." It says nothing about changing the wheels...?
I posted the above earlier and got some good replies - thanks. But, I'm going to stir this pot one more time.

Checked with Maxxis on availability in Range C so I don't "split my rims". The only thing they have in C is Bias Ply. They also advised that going from C to D would not be a problem. Having read post after post on tires I am going with Maxxis one way or another. So, even given the above from my manual - I guess I'll have to pony up for new wheels also. (to be honest I still don't get it).

Anyway, does anyone have an idea what new wheels will cost. Are the lug patterns special to A/S or can I get them from any SOB dealer. Thanks...
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:54 PM   #89
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
Anyway, does anyone have an idea what new wheels will cost. Are the lug patterns special to A/S or can I get them from any SOB dealer. Thanks...

You can obtain the wheels from many sources.

But, they must be a minimum rating of 2600 pounds, each.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
I guess I don't get either . If the forces are so great as to split the rims when going from C rated tires to D rated tires , why would all the wheels be rated the same in the first place ???
Old 02-05-2007, 11:15 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
It appears that the stresses on the rim or wheel over a given period of time
would be the determining factor ,C range tires used for some time and the
loads exerted on the wheel flanges or bead area .Then going to a tire D that
runs alot more pressure and therefore exerts even more pressure to the rim .
Im likin it to work hardened steel ,worked with a certain pressure and tire
strength ,then loading it even more with more pressure .that pressure trying to force the wheel apart down the middle ,both sides forcing outward from the center of the wheel .the rim when new would be fine given the proper rated wheel and either tire .a D rated tire for example on a new wheel would
stress the rim within its strength tolerances ,going then to a C range tire
would down grade the wheel load ,lowering stresses applied to the rim ,lessening any tendency for failure .The rim when new would not have had any loading applied to it for any extended period of time ,hence ,no structural
problem should ever exist then with a D range tire installed on the wheel
during normal operation .Wheels ,steel trailer wheels are not expensive ,
so the cost is minimal for safetys sake ,after all is said and done .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #92
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Desert Hot Springs , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
It appears that the stresses on the rim or wheel over a given period of time
would be the determining factor ,C range tires used for some time and the
loads exerted on the wheel flanges or bead area .Then going to a tire D that
runs alot more pressure and therefore exerts even more pressure to the rim .
Im likin it to work hardened steel ,worked with a certain pressure and tire
strength ,then loading it even more with more pressure .that pressure trying to force the wheel apart down the middle ,both sides forcing outward from the center of the wheel .the rim when new would be fine given the proper rated wheel and either tire .a D rated tire for example on a new wheel would
stress the rim within its strength tolerances ,going then to a C range tire
would down grade the wheel load ,lowering stresses applied to the rim ,lessening any tendency for failure .The rim when new would not have had any loading applied to it for any extended period of time ,hence ,no structural
problem should ever exist then with a D range tire installed on the wheel
during normal operation .Wheels ,steel trailer wheels are not expensive ,
so the cost is minimal for safetys sake ,after all is said and done .

Scott
For what its worth; I had a new 1970 Dodge 1/2 ton van that I put 8 ply tires on the rear so it would cary more load. While coming around a corner with a load at about 15 MPH the first steel rim split and whooshhh we were grounded...This happened to both rear rims. The tires and rims were replaced under warranty but now I'll bet it was pure rim failure from the heavy 8 ply tires. Only about 3,000 miles on them. I sold the unit in '71. Just my 2 cents.
John
skyvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:28 PM   #93
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I will be replacing the wheels and tires on my safari once the frame is repaired. I currently have LT tires on 15 inch rims, but they are very old indeed. I would like to drop down to 14 inch rims for the new wheels. Will this cause any isses with my trailer? Also, should I put special RV tires on, or can I place any 14" tire on the new rims?

Wheels can be seen here.

Buy Hi-Spec Aluminum Trailer Wheels & Accessories at RJay's Performance Center!
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:57 PM   #94
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
hello soldiermedic ,

i would not downgrade your wheels and tires to 14" ,the larger 15" is required
to carry the load and has the strength needed to support and carry the
weight of your trailer and gear .consequently ,you may not find the proper load rating needed in a 14" tire and wheel .The wheels must be rated for 2600# each ,more important on a single axle trailer .I don't think you will
find a 6 lug 14" wheel anyway ,unless you have downgraded your axles or drums to 5 lug 10" brakes .I recommend to stay with the 15" wheels .You
also need to stick with proper tires ,(a whole debate of its own) but any
tire will not work ,no car tires .

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:46 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Trailer Tires

hello soldiermedic
On tire selection:
14 inch wheel:
1. If you go to a 14 inch tire you will probally loose ground clearance.
2. Selection for the weight range you need will probally not fit in up in the wheel well.
3. Under no circumstances go to a p metric tire. The soft sidewalls will enhanse sway(fishtail), if you can find any that will fit up into the wheel well.
4. Other travel trailer brands are having trouble with the ST 14 inch tire as well.
15 inch wheel:
Stay with a 15 inch tire at least.
There is a better selection, not very large, but a better selection than with 14 inch.
Recommend you stay with a speed rated (at least 95mph or better) LT tire. They will stand the heat of 65 MPH in the summer time on the Interstate without problems.
16 inch wheel:
If the LT tires on the trailer now are 700-15s and the ST225/75R15 will fit, you can go to a 16 inch wheel, 7 inches wide of the proper offset and backset.
These seem to be more robust tires.
The BG Goodrich Commercial T/A LT 225/75R16 is the same outside diameter as the 700-15 LRD and the same width as the ST225/75R15.
Load Range:
The failure mode on the ST tires (65 MPH tire) is caused by heat, not overloading, unless you consider the tire overloaded because it lost air all by itself going down the road between stops (less air pressure/less load capacity).
If load range D will carry your trailer or if load range D is the tire that came on the trailer, stay with that load range.
To go to a Load Range E and 80 psi will only beat up your trailer.
Tire Pressure Monitor System: (Cheap insurance)
Mine is the Pressure pro. I like it.
There are others.
My two cents worth.
Beginner
Old 04-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #96
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
I have read several of the post, not all of them, but, I do have a question. We or I will say, I, Tammy, ordered the tires off ebay that the man advertises as Airstream Tires, Same as ours but had an E on them. We havent recieved them yet, so, from what I gather, we cant use these tires? So I'm out 260.00 I paid for them? Do I need to just return them as soon as they arrive and try to find C or D? Thanks for any advice. I wish I had seen this post before a I ordered them!
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #97
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Trailer Tires

According to Andy R. of Inland RV the 80 psi inflation of the load range E tires beats up the trailer too much.
In my mind, the problem with the ST tires is the speedrating of 65 MPH. Above 65 the tire generates too much heat and causes the rubber to let go and belt shifting occurs which begins the failing of the tire.
There are a lot of opinions out there on this subject.
Mine is not to run a tire at 100% of its rating and expect it to last.
You didn't say whether the tires were ST tires or LTs.
I went to the LTs to get the speed rating (99 MPH).
Will I ever cruse at 70 MPH, no. But I feel safe running at 63 mph now.
Beginner
Old 04-07-2007, 05:41 PM   #98
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
So if I buy new 15 inch rims since the old 15s are in pretty bad shape, I can put any Light truck tire on it?

Steve
Old 04-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
So if I buy new 15 inch rims since the old 15s are in pretty bad shape, I can put any Light truck tire on it?

Steve
Not necessarily , I believe in your vintage the dual axles came with C load rating and the single axle came with D load rating . Check the load rating for your axle . Like the Three Bears , not too much , not too little , but just right.Good luck
Old 04-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #100
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I only have a single axel.