Old 04-03-2019, 09:58 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
ISSAQUAH , Washington
TPMS valve stem concern

What follows is a warning from the TireMinder web site:
Brass vs Aluminum Tire Sensors

TireMinder Sensors

Your vehicle's tires will have either rubber or metal valve stems. RVs, motorhomes, 5th wheels, and trailers will generally have rubber stems with brass valve cores or metal stems with steel, chrome, or nickel valve cores - all of which work with the TireMinder brass sensors. This TireMinder kit comes with 6 brass sensors. You will only need aluminum sensors (TM-2ALUM - sold separately) if you're towing a car or light truck with built-in TPMS and aluminum valve stems.

It's important to choose the correct TPMS sensor for your vehicle. Pairing the wrong metals together may lead to galvanic corrosion, which makes it impossible to remove the sensors from the valve stem. If this happens, you will need to replace the valve stem or, in some cases, the whole tire. Matching the sensors to the construction of your valve stems will ensure the sensors won't corrode.
unquote
\
I have metal valve stems on my tires, but I can't tell if they are steel or aluminum. If they are aluminum I guess there could be an issue with corrosion unless the TPMS sensors are also made of aluminum. Or am I misunderstanding something /
09-08-2018 07:13 PM
otorvund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Check them with a magnet.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by otorvund View Post

TireMinder Sensors

Your vehicle's tires will have either rubber or metal valve stems. RVs, motorhomes, 5th wheels, and trailers will generally have rubber stems with brass valve cores or metal stems with steel, chrome, or nickel valve cores - all of which work with the TireMinder brass sensors. This TireMinder kit comes with 6 brass sensors. You will only need aluminum sensors (TM-2ALUM - sold separately) if you're towing a car or light truck with built-in TPMS and aluminum valve stems.

It's important to choose the correct TPMS sensor for your vehicle. Pairing the wrong metals together may lead to galvanic corrosion, which makes it impossible to remove the sensors from the valve stem. If this happens, you will need to replace the valve stem or, in some cases, the whole tire. Matching the sensors to the construction of your valve stems will ensure the sensors won't corrode.
unquote
\
I have metal valve stems on my tires, but I can't tell if they are steel or aluminum. If they are aluminum I guess there could be an issue with corrosion unless the TPMS sensors are also made of aluminum. Or am I misunderstanding something /
I expect someone will be worrying about this now... I personally have rubber, and TST system works fine for my needs. Other concerns about the AS when towing I think about; not this.
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by otorvund View Post

TireMinder Sensors

unquote
\
..too much worrying...use a small amount of antisieze on the threads...it will come off easy in 30 years of use...most valve stems are brass....not alumiumn as the salt would eat it quickly...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
..too much worrying...use a small amount of antisieze on the threads...it will come off easy in 30 years of use...most valve stems are brass....not alumiumn as the salt would eat it quickly...
Yes, this. If in doubt, a little anti-seize on the threads will do the trick. For what's it's worth, I have never seen an aluminum valve stem. That said, I believe the threads on most TPMS are aluminum.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
Tpms

I 2nd the vote for anti seize.
I re-install my tpms every spring adding a little dab of anti seize.
Every fall I take them off. No problems.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
Rosemere , Quebec
I apply Permatex Aluminum Anti-seize Lubricant on the valve stem before installing my EEZRV TPMS ��
Projet2907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Much ado about nothing.
I remove the sensors every time I add air before a trip.
Galvanic corrosion is not a problem.
If you leave yours on for a year and live next to salt water, then "anti-seize" is needed.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Tpms

whenever you install tire pressure monitors on your valve stems just follow this

1. Clean the valve stem threaded end with soapy water and an old tooth brush.
2. Use air hose to blow the valve stem clean
3. Practice threading on the pressure monitor so you know you will not cross thread it when doing the final install.
4. Remove the monitor and wrap the valve stem threaded end with 1 to 1-1/2 wraps of plumbers teflon tap
5. Install the pressure monitor, use slight pressure and hand tighten.
6. Drive 30 to 50 miles, and check to make sure they are are still hand tight.
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:31 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
ISSAQUAH , Washington
ok - thank you all!
otorvund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Wherever , Texas
Aluminum valve stems a quite common on European cars. I have them on the AS.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote