Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2019, 07:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
TPMS Screws

Aaauuugghhh !!

I like my TST TPMS but changing the batteries is painful!! The tiny screws holding the cover were so small they broke or rounded off every jewelers phillips screwdriver I had plus a couple more I bought. It was Maddening!

So I bought about 800 micro screws on eBay for $8 hoping to find a replacement that was better.

An M2 x 6mm pan head screw worked great! The head sticks out a bit compared to the old flush screws but that doesn't matter. The pan head has a larger phillips size so I could use a larger jeweler phillips that didn’t strip and was so much easier.

If you have the flow thru TPMS you should definitely consider changing the screws holding the battery cover next time you change the batteries.
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #2
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Sounds like you have enough to share
I can't believe that TST doesn't provide a small screwdriver in the kit, like they do the allen wrench for the locking screws.Especially given how difficult those battery cover screw are to remove without the tiniest of tools.

To avoid the pain as long as possible, here's a tip. If not using the trailer for weeks or more, and definitely while in storage, loosen the locking screws and back the sensors out past the point that they are pressurized. This turns them "off" according to TST, so they'll stop transmitting/using battery power. TST says the batteries should last a couple years. Mine lasted less than a year, and two died on the road in May. I couldn't find the right batteries anywhere, either, until I got home. So I replaced them all and bought a spare set, but have started turning 'off' the sensors after each trip...just one more thing to remember to do (screw them all the way back on the stem and tighten locking screws) before moving trailer again. Hoping I'll get a few years out of the batteries now.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:28 PM   #3
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Sounds like you have enough to share
I can't believe that TST doesn't provide a small screwdriver in the kit, like they do the allen wrench for the locking screws.Especially given how difficult those battery cover screw are to remove without the tiniest of tools.

To avoid the pain as long as possible, here's a tip. If not using the trailer for weeks or more, and definitely while in storage, loosen the locking screws and back the sensors out past the point that they are pressurized. This turns them "off" according to TST, so they'll stop transmitting/using battery power. TST says the batteries should last a couple years. Mine lasted less than a year, and two died on the road in May. I couldn't find the right batteries anywhere, either, until I got home. So I replaced them all and bought a spare set, but have started turning 'off' the sensors after each trip...just one more thing to remember to do (screw them all the way back on the stem and tighten locking screws) before moving trailer again. Hoping I'll get a few years out of the batteries now.
I would assume this also applies to the non flow thru type of sensors. Am I correct?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
I would assume this also applies to the non flow thru type of sensors. Am I correct?
I would think so Hans, if you are talking about the "cap" versions. You can email TST at info@tsttruck.com and ask to be sure, but they confirmed that was the case for the flow through ones that I have.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote