Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #21
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Thanks again to everyone who posted in response to my query today! We decided to order the Truck System Technologies solution. We liked the ease of programming, the small console that we can carry about the rig while visually inspecting tires before taking off in the morning, the warning LED and sound, the flexibility of choices for sensors and the ability to replace batteries in the external sensors. We're putting sensors on every tire, including the spares, for a total of ten. (After all, a common frustration is discovering that your spare is flat when you most needed it to be...not flat.) We've ordered the repeater in case we need it, with the assurance that we can return it easily if it's not needed. We'll also look into whether we need to re-balance the tires after attaching the sensors.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Great. From what I found some of these systems have changed from when they were first introduced so you really have to shop and make sure that the one you pick does what you want- basically warn you against a bad situation. The nice benefit I find of a TPMS besides warning is the checking of the PSI before travel. Just looking at a monitor is much quicker than running around with a gauge to each tire. On iRV2 forums I read a really heated thread on TPMS when I was looking. They were disputing the benefit of valve stem based systems versus in-tire sensors. There is ALWAYS a lot to learn about whether RV TPMS or commodes!
Old 12-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
For other shoppers, here is a link to accessories for the Tracker, Minder system:

The OFFICIAL WEBSITE of Minder Research, Inc.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I use a "racing class professional digitial tire pressure gage" to set and check tire pressures daily. My TV has an onboard air compressor for the air suspension and has an air chuck beside the license plate to connect an air hose, if needed. I elected to go with the Dill TMPS 1506-453 system from Discount Tire.

That kit has six sensors, so I have a spare. The spare tire sensor can be energized in the display if an on road tire swap is necessary and also disable the sensor in the tire with an issue. Since the sensor batteries are only energized when the tire rotates, the spare tire would throw an alarm as hopefully it is not rotating in the horizontal plane under the trailer.

This system comes with the model 1900 display which has been updated for better visibility in direct sun light.

Having the sensor inside the tire will give more accurate temperature information than a rosebud out on the end of a valve stem sitting in the cooling air running down the road.

I also use Centramatic wheel balancers on both the trailer and my Honda motorcycles. The motorcycle tires and wheels are light enough that no wheel weights are necessary. Once moving, the tires are immediately in balance. With no taped on wheel weights to fall off (as in the past), the ride is far safer.

Good luck with your decision making process.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
ahh, as with the iRV2 forum thread, Switz brought out the inner/outer sensor question. Here is what they summized in the thread regarding that issue.

"Either system type is tested to read temps/pressure with a margin of error."

The minder/traker system is 5.0 degrees (temp)/4PSI margin of error and the Dill system is 5.4 degrees (temp)/ 2PSI margin of error. The TST system is 5.0 degrees (temp)/2PSI MOE. The systems do what they are supposed to do. As to the setup and operation- that is different. The TST system is great. It has certain caveats like all of them. I pulled my tablet out this is what difference I could find compared to what I purchased - the monitor is bigger, same types of readings, 13gm sensors vs 9gm (Traker)- 22gm for the flow thru TST, sensors stay on all the time and have to be pulled to shut off (zero psi) vs. Minder auto off, TST 5 min transmissions versus 4 minute ones. The complaint I found about auto off sensors is that you must move the rig first to get a reading. That is no issue for me as I get the unit from storage and take it home to load before departing.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I have an extremely accurate tire pressure gauge and three vehicles with TPMS systems. Quite frankly, I think that TPMS gives drivers a false security based on the fact that these systems are not all that accurate. Interestingly enough, our most expensive German sports car is the least accurate!

No problem checking the tire pressures every morning as I can also do a visual tire check at the same time.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
No problem checking the tire pressures every morning as I can also do a visual tire check at the same time.
Sure, as it should be Denis4x4. The rationale for having a TPMS for Airstreamers is being able to know what is going on "back there" while traveling before the steel belts eat the side out of the trailer- at least shorten the event. Motorhomes are needy too as they may get stranded.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #28
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Speaking for the only system I have used, the Dill. When I check my tire with my stick gage and then set out as soon as the sensors report for duty they are darn near spot on to gage.

I'll just pose the question and let others answer.

You are monitoring temp. I can think of 3 sources for heat that we should be concerned about. Ambient temp from outdoors affects us all.

1. Tire created heat from under-inflation.
2. Failing bearing heating up and creating heat.
3. Brake drag creating heat.

No, I don't have any data about the brake or bearing failures and tire temp.

You can choose an external or internal monitor. Which one do you choose?

Its good to have a discussion about a safety topic and I think the biggest issue it to be pro-active, do SOMETHING, choose but act for your own safety and others. One thing that did enter into my decision, it was coupled with new tires so installation was not a factor.

Hardly a week goes by that I don't see a utility trailer or camper on the side of the road with a tire issue.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Gary, shouldn't the common failure issue be directed toward the tire discussions and the monitors a secondary consideration?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post

You can choose an external or internal monitor. Which one do you choose?

Gary

I chose the external sensors simply because I wanted the ability to easily change batteries - and to change the sensor if defective without needing to remove the tire. (I have a whole bunch of spares I bought from a fellow who no longer needed his TPMS - which was identical to mine.)

I don't know how accurate the temperature reading would be with the external sensor when stuck out in the wind as it is at the end of the valve stem.

I suppose it gets its temperature reading by heat transmitted through the metal stem.

I know that the sensors on the "sun side" of the trailer run quite a bit warmer than those in the shade! To be expected I guess.

My feeling was though that I am not so much looking for an accurate temperature reading but rather to see one wheel showing a significantly higher reading than the other three.

That would give me cause to pull over for a look see and a closer check on things.

Apart from the automatic alarms you get from a TPMS dependent upon the limits you have programmed, while we are driving I make a habit of periodically cycling the monitor through all four wheels to keep an eye on pressure and temperature readings.

Even with the TPMS I am a firm believer at doing a complete walk around the trailer at each and every stop to check the hitch, the tires, and the trailer in general.

One we had a GYM tire lose a piece of tread the full width of the tire by over one foot long. We didn't have a TPMS at that time - nor was it on an AS trailer.
but interestingly, the tire lost no air whatsoever so a TPMS would not have helped in this case.

Luckily I felt a very slight unusual vibration coming though to the tow vehicle and stopped for a look. damage to the trailer was luckily minimal.

When we stopped and found the destroyed tire, close examination of the other three revealed two others where the tread was just beginning to lift away from the carcass of the tire!

Four new tires bought 2 miles down the road in Fort Stockton, Texas! Lucky they had tires to fit - had to pay the guy extra to keep his little outdoor tire shop open and do the work that supper time!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #31
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Agree, I'm looking for TPMS precision and accuracy when it comes to tracking changes over time. I'm not going to worry too much about a pound or two on the PSI, just want to know when things are changing in an unacceptable way - getting hot too fast, losing air too fast, etc.

BTW, when I spoke with the TST rep on the phone yesterday to place my order, he said that air flows throughout the tire, including up and down the valve stem, when sensors are attached. He didn't say anything about needing metal valve stems to transmit temperatures. We'll see what we see when the product arrives; maybe the instructions will recommend metal valve stems to transmit temps from the wheel to the sensor. I can intellectually grasp why that could be important and I may do it anyway, but I will be eager to see what the printed instructions actually say.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
By the time the batteries go south in the Dill internal sensors the tires need to be replaced anyways for time.The Dill unit display constantly cycles through all four tires giving PSI or internal temp.You need to make sure that whatever you buy that the valve stems are metal not rubber.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvery Moon View Post
Agree, I'm looking for TPMS precision and accuracy when it comes to tracking changes over time. I'm not going to worry too much about a pound or two on the PSI, just want to know when things are changing in an unacceptable way - getting hot too fast, losing air too fast, etc.

BTW, when I spoke with the TST rep on the phone yesterday to place my order, he said that air flows throughout the tire, including up and down the valve stem, when sensors are attached. He didn't say anything about needing metal valve stems to transmit temperatures. We'll see what we see when the product arrives; maybe the instructions will recommend metal valve stems to transmit temps from the wheel to the sensor. I can intellectually grasp why that could be important and I may do it anyway, but I will be eager to see what the printed instructions actually say.
I don't quite see how air would flow in the valve stem - it is a dead end!

To some extent the temperature would be transmitted through dead air space or through rubber - but I would think best through steel.

I think the main reason that many TPMS companies recommend metal stems is just due to the added mass of the sensor on the end of the stem. Light as it is, I guess they are concerned about the possibility of flexing of a rubber stem eventually causing problems.

If remember, the Hawkshead instructions say you can use rubber (as long as they are in good shape) or metal stems but the recommend metal.

I have metal on the Airstream but still have rubber on my motorcycle until I get chance to change them for metal. So far they have been fine with the sensors.

Sounds as though the system you are buying will allow you to check pressures before you leave on a trip. Mine does not do that - in fact the pressures don't start to register until quite a few minutes into the ride.

I do a walk around anyway, so I would certainly see any major problem, but it would be nice to have that feature just to see if any tire needed topping up a few pounds before getting underway.

I still don't really understand how mine work and whether they have some sort of motion switch in the sensors that turn them on.

I always remove the sensors when we get home from a trip, then remove their batteries. I check the voltage on the batts before re-installing, and replace any giving signs of weakness as they cost me so little on Ebay bought in bulk. Helps ensure no loss of signal on a trip.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #34
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Gary, shouldn't the common failure issue be directed toward the tire discussions and the monitors a secondary consideration?
Dkottum,

The OP's question was for TPMS reviews with specific questions about performance and comments. My follow up was about temperature monitoring which is included with some TPMS systems.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Tire Traker TPMS

If you are using the Tire Traker brand of TPMS, did you get the booster? Is it more necessary with a diesel tow vehicle?
Thanks for your help.

Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
Which, ironically, lets air out of the tire each time. Not much, granted, but I feel I'm better off not checking the pressure unless I have reason to think there might be a problem. I check and inflate all 10 tires (truck and trailer) before each trip, then I only do visual checks at breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Sure, as it should be Denis4x4. The rationale for having a TPMS for Airstreamers is being able to know what is going on "back there" while traveling before the steel belts eat the side out of the trailer- at least shorten the event. Motorhomes are needy too as they may get stranded.
Yep. Driving home Sunday, I hit one of those weights used to hold highway barrels down with our truck and trailer (all four tires on the right side). Before I hit it, I said, "I sure hope we can drive over those things," because I didn't have much choice in the matter. Afterward, we had no way to confirm the right tires on the camper were unaffected. I had my wife look in the mirror as we took a curve on the next exit to see if she could see anything; she could only see the front tire but it seemed fine. (Both tires were fine, fortunately.) A TPMS would be very nice to have in this situation, even if it only covers the trailer tires.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I've used the Hawkshead for several years and have been basically happy. As mentioned earlier, waking up the sensors is kind of a mystery. I have found that I can walk to each tire, holding the monitor, and slightly loosen each sensor to wake them up if I want to check pressure. Loosen them just enough to bleed a small burp of air and they warn of a leak and report the data.

I also bough a repeater but haven't used it in years.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I wound up having to buy a repeater last fall. I had used my Doran in many full sized pickups and SUVs and never had dropped signal issues. This fall I was forced to use my 1/2 ton Express Conversion Van (long story) instead of my company vehicle. I started having a lot of signal issues. I couldn't understand what was going on, until I remembered years ago doing some custom wiring work and discovering it has a foil type insulation throughout the entire truck. I believe it is blocking signals. After the booster, all is good.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I use the Dill TPMS. The sensors are inside the tire. It reads pressure and temp. For my setup, I needed to use the external antenna by mounting it at the rear roof of my Suburban. I mounted the readout with Velcro on my dash.

The only negative comment I have is that it doesn't display all four tire readings at once, which is absurdly stupid. It cycles through the four tires giving each one two seconds of display. Therefore, it takes 8-seconds to check the tires instead of a simple glance. Pretty close to the dumbest thing I have ever seen on a digital product, especially since there are actually four LED displays! (The proper program would simply update each reading, but leave the display for each lit from the previous reading. This change would take two minutes of a programmer's time.)

Good luck!
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
If you are using the Tire Traker brand of TPMS, did you get the booster? Is it more necessary with a diesel tow vehicle?
I have no booster and no issue with signal. I am not sure if diesel would matter as much as distance.