Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2016, 06:25 AM   #21
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
We have the TST-510 (external, disposable transmitters with 5 year batteries). We were considering the TST-507 w/flow-thru sensors and user-replaceable batteries, but the manufacturer explained that we'd have needed to change the valve-stems to metal, and the extra length has the potential to induce problems for some (curb contact can be a concern). So, we played it safe with the "tried and true" transmitters.

That said, we have had a few frustrating problems ... we sent two of the 6 transmitters back for replacement (they wouldn't provide a signal, even with the receiver within a foot of the tire). Also, the "stubby" antenna doesn't seem to have enough gain/sensitivity to enable the receiver to get a "lock" on the transmitters. So we use the included dipole ("T" type) antenna to get the lock, and then switch to the stubby antenna for portability. I'm considering getting the range extender but the manufacturers insist I don't need it. I'm sure that if I take time to mount the dipole antenna in the rear-view window of my pick-up truck, that would work astoundingly well... But in being honest with myself, I'm too lazy.

I am very pleased with TST support at this time.

Regards,
Rich
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRHEDS View Post
We have the TST-510 (external, disposable transmitters with 5 year batteries). We were considering the TST-507 w/flow-thru sensors and user-replaceable batteries, but the manufacturer explained that we'd have needed to change the valve-stems to metal, and the extra length has the potential to induce problems for some (curb contact can be a concern).
snip
I am very pleased with TST support at this time.
Regards,
Rich
Don't know who told you that metal bolt in valves were longer. TR435 is the short metal valve which is actually shorter than the new TR600HP "High Pressure" snap in valve or the standard TR413 snap in valve and the easy to find metal bolt in TR416

Maybe the salesman doesn't know what he is talking about or just wanted to make a sale.

The 600HP is 80 psi rated, 413 is 65 psi, 416 & 435 are 200 psi rated.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I'm headed to the tire place tonight. This is very timely info.
Thanks
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #24
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Don't know who told you that metal bolt in valves were longer. TR435 is the short metal valve which is actually shorter than the new TR600HP "High Pressure" snap in valve or the standard TR413 snap in valve and the easy to find metal bolt in TR416

Maybe the salesman doesn't know what he is talking about or just wanted to make a sale.

The 600HP is 80 psi rated, 413 is 65 psi, 416 & 435 are 200 psi rated.
Thanks Tireman. The overall length of the installed TST507 flow-thru sensor is longer than the overall length of the installed TST510 ... 507's have more risk on curbs... Thanks, Rich
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not mentioned is the alternative of no trailer TPMS, so I'll mention it.

We had them on our first Airstream based on recommendations here and found them a distraction and somewhat troublesome. On our new Airstream five years ago we decided to think about buying new senders; still thinking about it. Instead we put on high quality tires, much less likely to fail.

I would recommended spending the money on high quality tires for your Airstream first, that is money well spent, then decide on TPMS.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:09 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We went with the Dill 1506-453 TPMS system with the 1900 display for both the Classic and 23D trailers. They were installed when the new Michelin tires were mounted to the new SenDel rims.

I still visually check the tires at every stop and put my hand on the wheel to see if a bearing or brake is getting hot. Besides that provides a trace of exercise walking around the rig and bending over.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:53 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Doug,
You seem to be playing against the odds that you will never pick up a nail to see the leak. Not even a high quality tire is perfect and is subject to road hazards. A TPMS will warn you about that and potentially save on some damage. If you have an actual "blow out" or the tire looses the tread and there is no change in psi then the TPMS won't help at all.

I have ~$200 in a TPMS system and I like to be able to monitor what's going on behind me. I feel it is cheap insurance. Without it your running blind and crossing your fingers. It seems to work pretty good in relaying psi and temp.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:00 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:

We had them on our first Airstream based on recommendations here and found them a distraction and somewhat troublesome. On our new Airstream five years ago we decided to think about buying new senders; still thinking about it. Instead we put on high quality tires, much less likely to fail.

I would recommended spending the money on high quality tires for your Airstream first, that is money well spent, then decide on TPMS.
Sorry but any tire can fail if it suffers air loss. Air loss can come from cuts, punctures or even leaking valve (core or body to wheel fit)
Valve core leak is more likely to occur when you check the air pressure with a gauge and of course every time you check air a bit leaks out.
I have a number of posts on my RVtireblog that cover valves including showing how a small piece of grit smaller than pin head can result in tire failure.

No amount of checking in the campground can warn the driver of the leaking valve core or puncture on the gravel road as you pull out of the campground.

If set properly TPMS should be no distraction. With the right feature (Morning reset) they can also eliminate the need for getting out, down on your knees in the rain or mud and checking air each travel day. I personally like having Lifetime warranty on my TPMS.

But to each there own.

While we are at it I wonder who has disconnected their engine oil pressure warning light or gauge or the Temp gauge. After all you can check oil and water level before each trip and be good to go without having to worry about engine problems. Riiiiighttttttt
Old 11-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Sorry but any tire can fail if it suffers air loss. Air loss can come from cuts, punctures or even leaking valve (core or body to wheel fit)
Valve core leak is more likely to occur when you check the air pressure with a gauge and of course every time you check air a bit leaks out.
I have a number of posts on my RVtireblog that cover valves including showing how a small piece of grit smaller than pin head can result in tire failure.

No amount of checking in the campground can warn the driver of the leaking valve core or puncture on the gravel road as you pull out of the campground.

If set properly TPMS should be no distraction. With the right feature (Morning reset) they can also eliminate the need for getting out, down on your knees in the rain or mud and checking air each travel day. I personally like having Lifetime warranty on my TPMS.

But to each there own.

While we are at it I wonder who has disconnected their engine oil pressure warning light or gauge or the Temp gauge. After all you can check oil and water level before each trip and be good to go without having to worry about engine problems. Riiiiighttttttt
The point is, money goes so far for many of us. Better to spend it on high quality tires than a warning system that monitors failure-prone tires. And even then, there have been many cases of the warning system going off at the moment of sudden failure, and the damage to the Airstream is already done.

Personally, I don't check the pressures each morning of a trip. I check them once at the beginning of a cross-country trip and leave them alone. We have not needed to add air to our tires in a year, probably more if I didn't monkey around with them.

Like Switz, I do a walk-around at each stop feeling tires and wheels for any obvious overheating with the back of my hand. Same thing for the last 50 years, just write me off as old-fashioned.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
The owner of this tire had done a pressure check just 50 miles prior to the failure.

I did a complete write-up on my limited examination on my blog post of July 22, 2012. Ten pictures, including some of the damage to the Airstream are included in the post.

Sorry but I am not allowed to post the direct link to the post on this forum.

If you really believe that a top quality tire will never have a valve core leak the go for it.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #31
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Valve Core Leak

Quote:
If you really believe that a top quality tire will never have a valve core leak the go for it.
Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.

Anecdotally, before leaving camp recently I was checking the wheel lug nut torque and on one tire I could hear the air escaping from the valve stem. (I assume that when I checked the tire air pressure with my digital gauge that a loose valve core must have come even more loose to allow the air to escape.)

Thankfully, I had a valve core tool in my repair kit and was able to tighten the valve core and then re-inflated the tire with my air compressor. Although I have a TPMS and would have been alerted to the low air at some point, it was much better to fix the problem at the camp site rather than on the side of the highway.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:24 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Even high quality tires can suffer blowouts. My TST TPMS sounded the alarm when one of our Michelin LTX M/S P235/75R15XL blew out at 65 mph on I 75 last year. No prior warning, just 50 to 0 psi in a few seconds. Just after dark, and 10 miles to the next exit. Slowed to 50, and our FC23FB rolled steadily on. Amazingly steady. I might not have realized the failure until the tire shredded itself or damaged the wheel well. Changed the tire at the next exit. 20,000 miles on the 2 year old Michelin, it was simply a road hazard that left a huge cut in the tread near the sidewall. Resolved any questions as to the value of TPMS.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:48 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Even high quality tires can suffer blowouts. My TST TPMS sounded the alarm when one of our Michelin LTX M/S P235/75R15XL blew out at 65 mph on I 75 last year. No prior warning, just 50 to 0 psi in a few seconds. Just after dark, and 10 miles to the next exit. Slowed to 50, and our FC23FB rolled steadily on. Amazingly steady. I might not have realized the failure until the tire shredded itself or damaged the wheel well. Changed the tire at the next exit. 20,000 miles on the 2 year old Michelin, it was simply a road hazard that left a huge cut in the tread near the sidewall. Resolved any questions as to the value of TPMS.
Thanks. Whew....It is actually good to hear that it was a road hazard and not a GYM...typical tread separation. Glad your TST gave you good warning.

We are running the Michelin LTX M/S P235/75R15XL and TST TPMS combo.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:44 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
The owner of this tire had done a pressure check just 50 miles prior to the failure.

I did a complete write-up on my limited examination on my blog post of July 22, 2012. Ten pictures, including some of the damage to the Airstream are included in the post.

Sorry but I am not allowed to post the direct link to the post on this forum.

And there is a photo why I would recommend top quality tires over the Good Year Marathons before spending money on a TPMS to monitor this tire with such a poor record of reliability. Then decide on the need for TPMS.

FWIW, I did Google Tireman9 and was led to a blog sponsored by a TPMS manufacturer.

Old 11-17-2016, 01:37 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Looking at the photo above and remembering the air leaks, it probably was a good thing thing GoodYear did not branch out to making condoms.....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:35 AM   #36
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention.

Anecdotally, before leaving camp recently I was checking the wheel lug nut torque and on one tire I could hear the air escaping from the valve stem. (I assume that when I checked the tire air pressure with my digital gauge that a loose valve core must have come even more loose to allow the air to escape.)

Thankfully, I had a valve core tool in my repair kit and was able to tighten the valve core and then re-inflated the tire with my air compressor. Although I have a TPMS and would have been alerted to the low air at some point, it was much better to fix the problem at the camp site rather than on the side of the highway.
One side benefit to using a TPMS with what I call "Morning Reset" feature is that you can stop doing a morning pressure check by hand.
It is important to remember that every time you check air pressure by hand you are 1. Letting a bit of air out, which is one reason many have to add a couple psi every few weeks and 2 creating an opportunity for the valve core to not seat and close properly.

"Morning Reset" feature is when there is a combination of buttons to push on the TPMS monitor that resets the reading to some special value like 0 psi. The monitor then refreshes the pressure reading over then next 10 to 15 minutes (while you sit inside, warm and out of the rail enjoying a leisurely cup of coffee). You will then know the Cold Inflation Pressure for that day. Hopefully your TPMS offers this function if not then you would need to leave the monitor on all the time.
I also believe that some sensors stop transmitting after motion stops and they need to move before a new signal is sent so you probably need to test your brand of TPMS.

Before people ask. TPM sensors are not broadcasting constantly as this would drain batteries quickly. My sensors refresh their reading and transmit the latest numbers to the display monitor about every 10 to 15 minutes as long as there has been no pressure drop more than the warning program allows.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:50 AM   #37
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
And there is a photo why I would recommend top quality tires over the Good Year Marathons before spending money on a TPMS to monitor this tire with such a poor record of reliability. Then decide on the need for TPMS.

FWIW, I did Google Tireman9 and was led to a blog sponsored by a TPMS manufacturer.
Yes the owner of the blog "RVTravel.com" has the sponsorship. I am just an unpaid writer.

I note that this Airstream blog is sponsored too.
Sponsorship doesn't change the facts that the subject tire was run with low air or that the Polyester cord melted. Owner said he did not have TPMS but did check the air about 50 miles earlier.

Can you name a brand tire that can run indefinately with 60 to 90% air loss?
Old 07-07-2018, 03:56 PM   #38
Still Dreaming

1971 29' Ambassador
Sulphur Springs , Texas
To me it is a no brainer to have a TPMS. I'm looking for a solution that will display on my android car stereo. What I think I want it to do is have RF communication between the tires and a receiver in the truck. Then I want that receiver to communicate via Bluetooth to the Android "radio". This seems so obvious to me, but I don't see it anywhere. The closest are systems that communicate directly with the tire sensors via bluetooth, but that won't work for us because of the distance to the trailer.
Thanks,
Manning
Manning G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
You have resurrected an old, but worthwhile thread. I use the TST 510 system with external sensors. Audible alarm, easily read display, rechargeable portable display, dependable transmission without booster. I had the system on 2 previous trailers, the last a 38' 5th wheel, and all 6 tires on the 1 ton dually. Works flawlessly and takes all the effort out of constantly checking tire pressures during a trip. What I like best about this system is that it monitors tire temps, which is the gennerally the first indication you may have an impending problem. That said, I had a complete tread delamination but because there was no loss of air pressure, the TPMS did not alarm in either the temp or loss of pressure. It was the big thwack, thud, bang that I heard from behind that told me there was an issue. The tire was a Goodyear 17.5 G114 running 125 psi.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:32 PM   #40
Still Dreaming

1971 29' Ambassador
Sulphur Springs , Texas
Hi Warden,
I've been looking all afternoon and I think I found a system that will display on my Android head unit (radio to us old farts) in the truck. It is a PressurePro Pulse FX.
http://www.pressurepro.us/product-pulse-fx.html
Hve you heard of them?
Thanks, Manning
Manning G is offline   Reply With Quote