Old 07-07-2018, 06:54 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
I have not, but at first read they look very interesting. The fact they are designed and made in the USA is a BIG plus. Definitly worth looking into further.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:41 AM   #42
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning G View Post
To me it is a no brainer to have a TPMS. I'm looking for a solution that will display on my android car stereo. What I think I want it to do is have RF communication between the tires and a receiver in the truck. Then I want that receiver to communicate via Bluetooth to the Android "radio". This seems so obvious to me, but I don't see it anywhere. The closest are systems that communicate directly with the tire sensors via bluetooth, but that won't work for us because of the distance to the trailer.
Thanks,
Manning

Since each TPMS communicates sensor to monitor on a unique frequency (not Bluetooth) it would be up to the auto companies to spend the money to make every radio capable of receiving every possible RF signal (TPMS, Back-up camera, smartphone, etc) out there. Economics is the reason.
There are a few TPMS mfg that can work with a smartphone via Bluetooth but I have not tested one.

I suggest you select a standard system with a rechargeable battery operated monitor good for a few days between charge-up and a warranty you like (few years or lifetime) and protect yourself from the air loss that causes a good portion (but not all) tire failures.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
TST 507.
Very pleased. Did not need to use the signal booster on my Serenity 28.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #44
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
You have resurrected an old, but worthwhile thread. I use the TST 510 system with external sensors. Audible alarm, easily read display, rechargeable portable display, dependable transmission without booster. I had the system on 2 previous trailers, the last a 38' 5th wheel, and all 6 tires on the 1 ton dually. Works flawlessly and takes all the effort out of constantly checking tire pressures during a trip. What I like best about this system is that it monitors tire temps, which is the gennerally the first indication you may have an impending problem. That said, I had a complete tread delamination but because there was no loss of air pressure, the TPMS did not alarm in either the temp or loss of pressure. It was the big thwack, thud, bang that I heard from behind that told me there was an issue. The tire was a Goodyear 17.5 G114 running 125 psi.

1. Glad you use and like having a TPMS. Smart move.
2. I wrote June 29 in my RV Tire Safety blog on why I, as a tire engineer do not think Temperature monitoring is of much value as tires only get dangerously hot after they have lost air.
3. I know of no commercially available system that can give a driver advance warning of belt/tread separation. The mechanism is based on rubber tear and strength not on tire inflation. I have covered a process of "Free-Spin" tire inspection that can be done to can allow you to see the symptoms of potential belt separation Aug 12, 2014, on my Blog that includes a video.
4. I suggest you review this AS forum post on "Why tires Fail".

Old 07-08-2018, 08:03 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
The point is, money goes so far for many of us. Better to spend it on high quality tires than a warning system that monitors failure-prone tires.
High quality tires still fail. You can run over a screw or road debris you never see. I had two blowouts on smaller trailers. I never saw or heard anything. By the time I was alerted and pulled over, all that remained was two rings of bead and a damaged rim. Trailer fender is in Kansas somewhere and black marks on the trailer and back of the TV from flying rubber. I still have no idea why the tires blew.

I propose the best of both worlds, A TPMS on high quality tires.
You can get a good TPMS under $200 if you shop.
It won't stop the tire from deflating, but it may head off the damage to the trailer when it does.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Lewisville , Texas
I have the TST TPMS and have not installed it yet. I am wondering where I should set my low and high pressure warnings. Without getting into another tire quality discussion can folks please make some suggestions?

I am running the Goodyear Endurance at 80psi. (recommended pressure on tire and trailer)

Thanks,
@tflyingsquirrel
mattRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
I recently accomplished that with TST's excellent YouTube videos. It is actually easier than their visually confusing written instructions. They are also very helpful over the phone.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #48
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Like several others in this thread, I use the TST 507 system with external sensors. I did not need the signal booster on my International 25FB.

When I replace the tires in a couple of years I plan to replace the valve stems with metal ones, but for now I use the OEM rubber ones. I run my Goodyear Endurance STL tires at 80 psi cold, and the TPMS is set to alert at 96 psi (+20%) and 72 psi (-10%).
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Lewisville , Texas
Thanks KPM!
@tflyingsquirrel
mattRox is offline   Reply With Quote