Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
TPMS monitors

I've finished my installation of the TST TPMS to where I'm happy.

I don't think this question is specific to TST because it looks like all the manufacturers use the same basic components from offshore suppliers.
Today, I sat in the truck next to the Airstream. I watched all the sensors report in to the monitor, and cycle through the tires.
When I drove away I thought, "I wonder how far before I lose the signal and the monitor blanks out?"
Well, I was 10 miles away and the monitor was still flashing the last data. I'm not that optimistic that the receiver was still seeing the senders, so I'm concluding that the monitor displays the last reading until it gets DIFFERENT data from the sending unit.
Now my question is, "How long before the monitor updates?"
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
That's kind of strange. I have the external TST sensors and if I unscrew one from a valve stem (which turns the sensor off) my monitor picks up on that signal loss asap. Now you have my curiosity up. Guess I'm going to have to drive away from the trailer and see what happens.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I've finished my installation of the TST TPMS to where I'm happy.

I don't think this question is specific to TST because it looks like all the manufacturers use the same basic components from offshore suppliers.
Today, I sat in the truck next to the Airstream. I watched all the sensors report in to the monitor, and cycle through the tires.
When I drove away I thought, "I wonder how far before I lose the signal and the monitor blanks out?"
Well, I was 10 miles away and the monitor was still flashing the last data. I'm not that optimistic that the receiver was still seeing the senders, so I'm concluding that the monitor displays the last reading until it gets DIFFERENT data from the sending unit.
Now my question is, "How long before the monitor updates?"
I'm pretty sure that data is cached. Like the next comment says, unscrew a sensor and you will see a immediate error. I've tested all the sensors that way.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #4
1973 Dodge Cayo Motovator

Vintage Kin Owner
Dahlonega , Georgia
Why not give them a call? They are close to where I live, and they are very friendly. I have been to their office several times, I am sure they would be happy to answer your question directly. The rest of us are just guessing-LOL
I have several of their products, saved me several tires and related damage.
Dave
Outbackga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
I believe the sensor data is updated every 5 minutes unless there is a rapid pressure decrease or sensor is removed.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
BTW, I have the repeater mounted to the lid of the propane tank, inside and powered from the Zamp connector.
However, I don't seem to need it because I was parked next to the AS maybe 10' away and all four sensors came up without the repeater plugged in.
It does take a while, I'd say a minute each and they go one at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelloggKid View Post
I have the external TST sensors and if I unscrew one from a valve stem (which turns the sensor off) my monitor picks up on that signal loss asap.
I've done that and an alarm goes off.
But the sensor is sending new data. 0 PSI!
I added air tonight and the sensors all saw that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
I believe the sensor data is updated every 5 minutes unless there is a rapid pressure decrease or sensor is removed.
That makes sense. I hope rapid deflation doesn't take five minutes to show up.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
A guess: the system refreshes each time the display blinks for that tire. If there is a change in the signal it is displayed. But if it misses a signal it holds for a certain number of reads before it drops the channel. If it misses several reads in a row then it drops the data output for that channel. So I think you will get a low pressure reading quicker than it will give up trying to read a lost signal.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I had a chance to use the TST system on the road.
First, I have my monitor mounted on a RAM arm that sits in a cup holder. That puts the monitor about the same level as the GPS.
I was delighted with the results! I watched how the pressure increased with temp. I shot for 65 psi cold, and saw 72 psi while driving. Temperature also increased, but only by about 10 deg.
It was great to not have to break out the air tools to check pressure daily!
The rechargeable monitor lasts a LONG time.....days!
I've charged mine once before installing the system and it's never needed charging. It flashed "lo batt" for the last 400 miles. It never quit!
BTW, I went to charge it in the Tundra, and discovered the Tundra has no USB ports! The opposite of the AS. It may have shipped with a cigar lighter to USB adapter, but ...... I didn't have it.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The Tundra DOES have a USB charger port after all. DOH!
Seems the "Aux" which appears to be a mini jack has another USB above it. It's hard to see unless you get your head down by the console.
I do think the TST came with a 12v to USB adapter. Now if I can only find that box!
Old 10-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. ‘12 Tacoma has similar setup. Black surround, black USB plug. I’m glad I’m not the only one that had trouble finding it[emoji3]
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote