Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2023, 09:46 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Vadnais Heights , Minnesota
Tpms high temp alert

Using a TST TPMS system and tire temp went up along with the PSI.
The PSI went high enough to set the alarm off for the tow vehicle (Ram 2500) rear tire.

Question is when tires get hot and pressure rises what do you do to lower them?
If stopping , how long does it take to normalize ? Especially in hot weather .
Seems they just go up again once you start driving again.

Interested in Hearing thoughts and opinions
Fipp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 10:06 AM   #2
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Do you have an infra red heat gun to check the temps of offending tire? Sounds like something going on to cause that.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 12:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Typically high temperature readings and the associated high pressure readings are warning you of an impending problem. The things that come to mind are a failing wheel bearing or a brake issue. You’ll need to investigate the issue and plan an appropriate repair or the issue will remain and quickly get worse.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 01:18 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipp2 View Post
The PSI went high enough to set the alarm off for the tow vehicle (Ram 2500) rear tire.

What is 'hot'?
Tire temps rise with speed and/or low tire pressure.

I always set TP's COLD...if they rise without a leak, so be it.

You may get worried over 195*f

BTW...I have the AS TPMS temp warning set at 150 degrees.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 05-07-2023, 03:12 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
What did you set as high temp on your sensors?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 04:40 PM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:

The event you are describing is the cold tire pressure is too low.
However filling tires when hot is only done as a guess. And not recommended.
The cooling event for tires would span over night or at least many hours.

Action
Old 05-08-2023, 05:50 AM   #7
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
The event you are describing is the cold tire pressure is too low.
However filling tires when hot is only done as a guess. And not recommended.
The cooling event for tires would span over night or at least many hours.

Action
X2!!

Except it only takes an hour or 2 to cool a tire down.

But, yes! More pressure!

Want to learn about tires? Please visit my website: Barry's Tire Tech New content every month!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:50 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Wake Forest , North Carolina
I run my 2020 RAM 2500 Limited at the factory recommended 65 psi. It doesn't report tire temp. But I run my 27' FC at 60 psi (not 80psi). The tire temp is consistently about 10 degrees above ambient air temp at 70 mph. Sometimes as much as 15 degrees on hot days in the sun. So even running what some say is too low psi in the AS, I have never seen over 15 degrees above ambient air temp.

If your tire pressure is correct, or even near correct, and one tire is hot, then you need to find the heat source. It would likely be a bearing, hub, or brake issue.
27ftToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 11:20 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Inconsistent high temp and pressure readings

I have a TST system on my SOB coach. I get inconsistent readings from one particular sensor. A call to the company suggested this was normal, in particular when traveling through areas with military aircraft. They suggested moving the sensor to another wheel to confirm that the sensor was susceptible to this type of error.

If your system reports a consistent problem then, like others have said, you need to be concerned and seek out the cause.
Hikingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 01:11 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Quick and easy test, feel your wheels with your hand (carefully). Are they hot? Does the tire feel hotter than the rim? Then the tires are under inflated or running beyond their weight rating. Inflate to max and weigh at CAT scale to determine actual weight of axles. Compare with rating on tires. I'd recommend at least Load Rang E. What if rims are hotter than tires? Indicates a stuck caliper and rubbing brake, or a shot wheel bearing. That needs to get fixed ASAP before a catastrophic failure.
Old 05-08-2023, 07:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:

MORE details please. Everyone is guessing without knowing if everything is normal or you have a problem. If your cold pressure is 80 and your alarm is set to go off at 81, it is normal for it to go off and not a problem (except for the way it is set). Did the temp go up 5, 10, 20 or 50 degrees? 5 or 10 is normal and not a problem.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 08:18 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Vadnais Heights , Minnesota
Here’s more info

Our max temp is set at 150 degrees.

Tire psi when cold is set to 75.

Alarm went off for the psi when it got to 90 psi.

Tire temp at that time was 95 .

This was true for both rear wheels in southern Alabama on way into
Florida with ambient temp being about 88 degrees.

Front wheels were showing psi of 88 and temp of 90.

Trailer wheels psi is set to 65 and only went to 73.
Temp of trailer wheels 85.
Just had the trailer brakes and checked before this trip so so t think we a problem there with the brand new tires we had put on at same time.

Truck was also inspected so not too worried about a problem. We just wanted to know how tires get cooled down when they heat up in the hot south travel .

Thanks for all the input …finally got back on here to give more info !
Fipp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 08:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I ran my tires at 70 psi, and had set the TST system for that pressure. I had my trailer in for service, and on the way home got an over-pressure alarm, and then another on a different tire. It turned out that the dealership took it upon themselves to set my tires at 80 psi, which put them 10 psi closer to the upper limit I had set. Did you verify that the pressure was actually high?

If the problem was only on one tire, either the pressure was low, but not low enough to trip the alarm you set but low enough to cause excessive heating. That, however seems unlikely since you indicated you had both high pressure and high temperature. So I'm betting you have another problem, as others have suggested, with your brakes or bearings.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 09:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
pressure and one wheel

A bearing or a brake drag. I tried running out 30ft FC at 60 within 500 miles I had tire feathering on the outside edge and they did run hot. I now start out at 70-72 cold pressure. Better lift that one hot wheel when hot and spin it listening or feeling for any drag on the brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27ftToaster View Post
I run my 2020 RAM 2500 Limited at the factory recommended 65 psi. It doesn't report tire temp. But I run my 27' FC at 60 psi (not 80psi). The tire temp is consistently about 10 degrees above ambient air temp at 70 mph. Sometimes as much as 15 degrees on hot days in the sun. So even running what some say is too low psi in the AS, I have never seen over 15 degrees above ambient air temp.

If your tire pressure is correct, or even near correct, and one tire is hot, then you need to find the heat source. It would likely be a bearing, hub, or brake issue.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 04:46 AM   #15
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Tire Pressure Build Up Test:

Before starting out on an extended tow (at least an hour!), measure and record both the inflation pressures and the ambient temperature.

It's also a good idea to inspect the tires by rubbing a GLOVED hand over the entire tread surface. You are looking for bulges. If you find any, replace the tire immediately!

After an hour or so into the trip, stop and measure the inflation pressure and note how much pressure has built up.

You don't want more than a 10% buildup - excluding ambient temperature effects:
Ambient temperature effect = 2% per every 10°F change in ambient temperature.

If you get more than 10% pressure buildup (excluding temperature effects), you need more load carrying capacity in your tires - either more inflation pressure or a bigger tire size.

Needless to say, you want to be aware of how heavily you are loading your trailer. More Load = More Pressure build up!

Want to learn about tires? Please visit my website: Barry's Tire Tech New content every month!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 06:59 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Minneapolis , Minnesota
We have a 2023 Classic 33’ with 16” Michelin tires carrying 8,540# of trailer axel weight spread across the four tires.

The Michelin table says we could start them cold at 60 psi. We don’t do that. We start them at 65 degrees, no sun on the tires, at about 73 psi.

Driving 70-75 MPH (don’t judge) in 75-80 degrees ambient, smooth interstate conditions, we see tire temps of 110-117 degrees and pressure of 84-87 psi after 30 mins or so as reported on the TPM on all tires.

I would worry if one of the tires was either suddenly (failure) or regularly (unequal loading) different from the others. So far, so good.

It could be that my TPM is consistently biased to report higher driving temps on the high side. In the morning, on cold tires, it reported temps are spot-on with ambient temperatures in the 40s-80s range, though, so I believe it’s pretty accurate.

At lower speeds on bumpy roads, on cold days, really in most conditions, those tires are over 100 degrees and pick up at least 10% additional pressure.

M & K
BreadNCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 09:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
High temp

Are your tire pressures set based on your actual scale weight readings with the vehicles fully loaded?

The suggested normal +10% pressure increase would be what I expect.

Your TPMS High pressure warning would be reasonable to be set to +20 to +25% assuming you have set the pressure based on your actual weight.

Most aftermarket TPMS have the high pressure set to 158F (70 C) and considering that the tpms are actually reporting the temperature of the metal valve stem that is bolted tot he metal wheel that is bolted to the metal hub a high temp reading from the TPM is a warning of some mechanical problem such as brake drag or bearing problem. You can confirm this with an IR gun reading of the wheel and comparing with the TPMS temperature reading.
IR gun on the tire sidewall is of little or no value IMO as you can't get the hot spot on a tire unless your are using a needle probe and cheking about 1/4" into the tire shoulder.
Old 05-14-2023, 09:42 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Berkel-Enschot , Noord-Brabant
Quote:
Our max temp is set at 150 degrees.

Tire psi when cold is set to 75.

Alarm went off for the psi when it got to 90 psi.

Tire temp at that time was 95 .

This was true for both rear wheels in southern Alabama on way into
Florida with ambient temp being about 88 degrees.

Front wheels were showing psi of 88 and temp of 90.

Trailer wheels psi is set to 65 and only went to 73.
Temp of trailer wheels 85.
Just had the trailer brakes and checked before this trip so so t think we a problem there with the brand new tires we had put on at same time.

Truck was also inspected so not too worried about a problem. We just wanted to know how tires get cooled down when they heat up in the hot south travel .

Thanks for all the input …finally got back on here to give more info !
When filled at 65 degrF 75 psi, and rising to 90 psi, the temperature in tire will be between 140 and 150 degrF, depending on the amount of water in tire.
So, your tempreading giving 95 degr F, makes me suspect you have exter al sensors, also on TV, where you read it.
Because both sides rear, can be of to low cold pressure, but that insude tire temp is in line with the 88 degr F ambiënt temp, and a higher speed.
But not excluded can be a hanging brake or wheelbaring.

The 65 psi of TT (assumed at 65 degrF) going to 73 psi gives 111 to 117degr F in tire, an expected temperature for 88 degrF outside, even. On the low side wich indicates that cold pressure can be lower.

Airstreams are exeption to the rule of needing max pressure of tire, because of comfortable reserves.
Dont you have popped rivets sometimes.?
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 11:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:

What was the tire pressure?
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 12:13 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Berkel-Enschot , Noord-Brabant
Already given, only cold filled front of TV axle was not given.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote