Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2021, 12:17 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Brook Park , Ohio
It Bears Repeating

VALTERRA TIRE-MINDER.

Now, having even the best probably won’t prevent tire issues. Stuff happens. But I have had the A1A for three years and, along with checking tire pressures and adjusting for climate when heading out, I have had no issues with the factory tires. Tire Minder gives you free batteries every year and even reminds you when you haven’t ordered a new set. I did break one of the sensors…notice I said I broke the sensor, not the sensor was faulty. Feel free to disagree. But I looked at them all before buying the Tire Minder and have been exceptionally pleased with the purchase after many miles and three travel seasons. My water hoses suck, but that’s another company and story.
chdeatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:15 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
1. You can save some money by getting a system that uses your phone for the monitor. I didn't want that, but that's just me.
2. Shop around. I bought the TST 507 four cap sensors and color monitor for $297. RV upgrade store.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:01 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
If your shopping for TireMinder brand TPMS, this is the model I would be getting ( I have ) it’s considerably more than some other brands but has the essentials needed ie: the signal booster. The signal booster can be purchased separately for $65.00 on Amazon. The one from etrailer includes it, as well as other accessories, charger, storage bag etc. The advantage of this ‘Smart’ model is the use of a Smart Phone as the convenient display with the TireMinder dedicated phone app. BTW, there is no reduction of features on your phone as a result of TireMinder. I have no financial interest in the company. I use the setup and am a happy customer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1648.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	398510
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:10 AM   #44

2018 27' Globetrotter
paris , Tennessee
Wink Tms

Bought ZeePin on line. After another camper recommended it
Solar powered.
Been using it 2 years
Changed watch batteries in Stems once just to be safe
$50
Works great for us.
27 Globetrotter 2019
Full time on the road.
Like a plate of ham and eggs..............
The chicken is interested the pig is committed.
joe snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:39 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I use the TST system with the cap sensors. I have had 3 bad sensors (out of 8 for the truck and trailer) in 3 years. When I do a learn ID the system finds and identifies the bad sensors. But...they do not send pressure readings when screwed on the tires. Maybe I am doing something wrong. But...I just changed the batteries in the 4 sensors on the trailer and reprogramed them and they work. Sensors have gone from $50 to $62 in the last year. I have one on order now and will see how that goes. I do overall like the system but have had the problems with the sensors. I took off the spin covers so I can screw the sensors on and off easily and because they are smaller and less visible that way. I had to watch the video more times than I wanted to learn how to program the sensors for the location. That slowness to pick up the idea might be on me. The TST system has identified 2 slow leaks in the TV tires (both some type of bolt or screw in the tire) in the 3 years I have been using it. I pulled for 15 years or so without one with no incident but that was a lot of luck that might run out.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:15 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
TPMS - Any low cost and good?

Well Joe Snow, congratulations for staying on topic ( I didn’t ) Low Cost n’ Good
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:13 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Is there any preference between TST cap and flow through sensors (besides the ability to adjust pressures without removing the sensor)? Is there any reliability or durability difference?
Old 07-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I never had a tpm…no problems since 1971….I run good tires.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Middletown , Ohio
Tst 507

Don't go for the cheapest. If it helps to prevent or save you from one tire issue, could save you hundreds or more.

We have the TST-507 w/color display for +two years and just under 10K miles. Monitors tire pressure and temperature for 4 trailer tires. Truck has its own TPSM. Prefer separate display for trailer tires as the phone has other uses while traveling. Have not had an issue with reception, but installed the repeater in the battery box anyway. Did not get the flow thru version because they looked big, but probably should have as its easier to adjust air. Have since learned to adjust with minor inconvenience of removing the sensor while adjusting. Worked on our original part metal, part rubber stems, probably because they were relatively short. But, had them changed to all metal when replacing the tires last summer.

There is a notched ledge in the console just under the radio where the TST display can sit and is easy to see, so we don't use any of the mounting systems.

After looking at all available I narrowed it down to TST and Tireminder. Since Airstream now installs TST as an option, it helped me decide towards TST. Probably either one would do well for you, but glad we purchased the TST.
RJKSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:30 PM   #50
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Whatever you get be sure the vendor knows what an RV is so you can get any questions you have answered correctly. Big box and Amazon may offer lower price but you will probably not be able to get detailed questions such as What should the Low pressure warning level be set too? answered correctly.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:21 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
If swapping rubber valve stems for metal does it require removing tires? Or can stems be replaced by just pulling out old and pushing in new?
Old 07-07-2021, 10:45 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2021 30' Globetrotter
Oviedo , Florida
I have this I picked up on Amazon. It works fine. There is a repeater that you connect to your trailer battery and it makes sure you get good signal to your dash unit. Unscrew one of the senders and you almost immediately get an alarm. It gives pressure and temp of each tire.

Things I don't like:
You never really know if the sender is connected. Before I put the repeater in, I was drving along and noticed one tire had not changed pressure or temperature. I picked up the dash unit and moved it around and then it started updating.

The display is a bit hard to read. But the alarm is good so I'm less concerned.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:29 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
BLU TPMS. Has worked really well the last 2 years, the smartphone app is good, and the little USB stick with speaker is very handy. My kids affectionately call the USB stick Karen since she yells at you (mute button helps!).

Less expensive than many brands, more than some. Easy to install and use, and only replaced the batteries once so far.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:13 PM   #54
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking1 View Post
If swapping rubber valve stems for metal does it require removing tires? Or can stems be replaced by just pulling out old and pushing in new?
Valve stems no matter what the construction require the tire to be removed from the rim for replacement. The valve stems install and are removed from the inside of the rim.

Action