Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Celina , Ohio
drbad,

Tomorrow I am having Maxiss 8008s installed in Dayton, Ohio which is about a 60 mile drive for us. Jackson Center had the Marathons and Towmaster LR E in stock but, I would have to have new rims for the E load range. I am keeping 2 towmasters on the Safari as they are less than 3 years old and going with the Maxiss on the front axle. All tires will be LR C which is quite sufficient for the load I carry. Just wanted to let you know that I am buying from Discount Tire and they were shipped from sunny California. When we return from Arizona next spring I will order 2 more of the Maxiss from Discount Tire. No more Carlisle or Goodyear Marathons for me...tinhut
tinhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:37 PM   #42
dbad

1977 31' Sovereign
San Diego County , California
THANK YOU, tinhut! I am also getting Maxxis installed tomorrow on my new old 1977 Sovereign Int'l. M8008s, just like yours. I requested LR D; hope they will fit my rims (15" ... did not even consider that, actually, but believe they will fit). I'm picking trailer up in Reno, where Discount said 24 hrs, then said 3-4 days. I could not wait that long, went to BIG O Tires (north Reno) where they got the tires in within half a day. Amazing. The guy who I believe may help restore/customize this AS said that I should insist on Maxxis. Your email is very helpful ... drbad
drbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #43
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Our Towmaster experience;
We have a tire specialty store nearby. Not a discount retailer. This Guy does tires, that’s it. Lots of commercial/OTR Guys go here. We went there for new tires on our Excella 5 years ago and he recommended (Canadian) Towmasters. They have ~ 30k miles on them now. Plenty of highway miles along with forest service back roads and logging roads thrown in for fun…Plenty of tread left, no bulges, etc…look like new. I would not hesitate to put Canadian Towmasters on and hope he still carries them when I am ready to replace these…

Bill
Old 10-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
I find any thread about tires very interesting - I have only had my AS for a few months and it has P rated tires on it. They will definately be replaced (with what - I do not know as of yet). I read every thread about tires very closely. I understand Andy's comments but the tires that Airstream uses are not the only trailer tires in existance. As with most people - I want the most tire for the $$$$$$. I value any comments about any tires and I think pap's question about towmaster tires is a good one. He did not say he was going out and buy them - he just wanted any comments - good or bad - about them. I want them also. I have used all these forums to take a close look at every aspect of my 71 Overlander. From the AC shroud to the axles (thanks to Andy's input on the axles). I did not know very much about tire ratings - but now I know what I am looking for. But, I am not going to the first tire shop and say - "I'll take 5 of them GYM's". Keep all of the questions coming - I am always wanting more knowledge on any AS subject. My work is about to begin on my AS. I will be joining all of you at the rallies next year (hopefully, LOL).

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #45
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Tires

Well I went and got some new tires today.Got 4 towmasters.The ones I had on it finally just turned 5 years old and were showing signs of cracking.They have done several Airstreams over the years and are very good.I watched them do the whole thing within an hour.The best part is when they balance these ties they use the Hunter GSP9700.As always ,I am pleased with there work.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1963 22' Flying Cloud
1963 24' Tradewind
, , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman View Post
Well I went and got some new tires today.Got 4 towmasters.The ones I had on it finally just turned 5 years old and were showing signs of cracking.They have done several Airstreams over the years and are very good.I watched them do the whole thing within an hour.The best part is when they balance these ties they use the Hunter GSP9700.As always ,I am pleased with there work.

Do Towmasters come in radial and bias ply? Also what kind were yours? Thanks
Old 11-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #47
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Something intresting

Here is something for you all.I have driving on mine about 1600 miles so far and they feel great.I have the radials on.same size and type as the marathons.
Greenball Tires

Old 11-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #48
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
info

Check out who they started getting there tires from and then who else they went to later.
Supply source at the bottom of the page.
About the Greenball Corporation - GREENBALL.COM