Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Do they still make any of them in Canada?
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Towmaster tire

I have had the SAME towmaster tires on my 28 ft Squarestream for years with NO problems.If I told you how long they have been on there everyone would jump me for not changing them after 5 years.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettepuller View Post
Here it is, 6 years after this thread started. I joined just to comment on my Towmaster tires. I tow a race car on a 18' dovetail open trailer. Double axle. The tires that came with it (new) were 205/75D/15. In less than 3500 miles, the tread was almost gone, and I have to replace them. The inside shoulder was gone. Proper tire pressure was at 50#, as recommended. Andy is VERY CORRECT. Stay away from the unknown tires and stay with the tried and true tires. When I purchased the trailer from the manufacturer, one option was to get used rims and tires. This was for those who wanted to mount their choice of tires and wheels on their trailer. Never again for Towmaster. They certaiinly failed my test.
I would like to point out that if you tires wore so bad that the tread was "completely gone" in 3500 miles, there is probably something wrong with the alignment of the axles under your trailer.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #24
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Newby with Towmasters

Jimmini,
Thanks for your post. I just bought my Airstream last Wed and brought her home. It has 4 Towmasters on it and I have been debating on whether to replace or not. This makes me feel better. I read this thread from 2003 and was a little uncomfortable about these tires. The two tires on the front are older than the back which tells me that the PO replaced the rear with new Towmasters. Unfortunately he passed away last October so I can not get any information from him directly. He was a very serious Airstreamer and had trips to Alaska and back and went to a lot of rallys all over the country in the last 16 years. Judging by the shape he left this Airstream in, I can not fathom him putting a tire on it he did not have the upmost confidence in, and then replacing the two in back with the same tells me he thought they were good tires. I'm going to take a few short trips in the next couple of months and then a 1000 miler in August. I'll have an evaluation period before I take it on the road for real. The tires look very good, lot of tread and side walls seem OK. If anyone can tell me how to find out how old they are, I would appreciate it. If I had to replace today, I would look at putting on the Towmasters again just because he did. I feel honored I got this Airstream and want it to be in as good a shape in 2025 as he left it in for me.
Thanks for your comments,
Joe
AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
If anyone can tell me how to find out how old they are, I would appreciate it.
On the inside of the tire, next to the bead, there is a 4 digit code cast into the rubber. The first two digits will be the number of the week of the year it was manufactured, and the second two numbers are the year the tire was manufactured.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:59 PM   #26
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Looks like all 4 were made on 07. In Canada.
I'll keep them for a while.
Thanks,
SteveH
AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1996 34' Limited
humboldt , Iowa
Towmaster Mfg Greenball Corp, Cheng-Shin
tintent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Franklin , Tennessee
Hey Andy, Re: Towmaster Tires: I have 4 different brands of tires on my trailer presently; unfortunately you don't get to choose the brand you want in Podunkville, Alaska where during the trip all 4 of my Goodyear Marathons failed (they were 4 years old). One of those brands is Towmaster (along with a Duro, another Marathon, and a Trailmaster) tire.
Costco is now selling Towmaster Tires, if they're good enough for Costco, they're good enough for me. Gerry
nangoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #29

2007 16' International CCD
Missoula , Montana
I'm replacing the Goodyear Marathon on my Bambi due to sudden wear on the outside edge of the street side tire. Luckily, I inspect my rig often, as many of us do, and spotted the unexpected wear before it blew. The outer edge wore very quickly and unexpectedly down to the point where the metal cord is visible in places. Yikes! Another 100 miles and...
I checked the inflation pressure and it matched the curbside tire to within 1 1/2 psi, so inflation was not the issue. Trailer dealer says axle and wheel are within spec (toe-in, etc). There was no reason for this tire to suddenly fail. Estimated towing mileage was approximately 3k miles, and tire covers are always used when parked for more than a day or two.
I put the spare Marathon on the trailer, and am replacing the spare with a Towmaster. I've never had a tire suddenly wear like the Marathon did, and there's not much doubt that it would have failed catastrophically, had I not spotted it in time. I'm going to keep a close eye on those remaining two Marathons, I promise you, and when they're shot, they'll be replaced with something else.
I appreciate hearing others' experience with tires, but in the end, it's up to me to keep an eye on my tires, and I no longer trust the Marathons that came with my Bambi.
I love my Bambi, and I wish Airstream made tires, too.
So many tires being made in China these days! Does anyone but me find that frightening?
Happy trails!
bambiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:05 PM   #30
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
For the three years I owned my boat, I had Towmaster tires on the trailer. I never had a problem with them. We have had Carlisle tires on our Sovereign since 2005 without one single problem....no cracking, no drying, just a really good tire. I had Marathons put on our 21' Sunline travel trailer and they blew not too long after. Never again.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #31
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Since June I now have put about 1800 miles on my 07 Towmasters including a 1300 mile round trip a couple of weeks ago. No problems at all and for the most part the air temps were above 90. The Goodyear dealer who I have used for tires and service for years has been selling Towmasters for a couple of years now and said he does not see a lot of problems with them. If I do not have problems I'll keep them until 2011, if something comes up I'll update.
Joe
Old 09-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
I know this will cause some hackles to come up on longtime Rver's but, here goes.

I have practically brand new Towmaster Tires on my 28' Excella. I use the trailer for fishing once a year for about a month. I noticed the other day (where I store the trailer), that there were some small cracks on a couple of tires where it sits in the dirt in the storage yard.

I was thinking that instead of just replacing the tires why couldn't I just put tubes in them. The cracks aren't that bad and I would assume that tubes would give me extra insurance that they would not blow out.

Henry
HankO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
I would be worried about putting a tube in a tubeless tire. Everything that I have seen says it will increase heat and lead to early failure. It make sense to me.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #34
dbad

1977 31' Sovereign
San Diego County , California
STILL no comments on here about customer experience with Towmaster tires. Totally off-topic now. DOES anyone have any experience with Towmaster?
drbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
its interesting TOWMASTER is the only brand, other than Goodyear, Jackson Center carries.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Our last trailer, a '75 23' that we bought used, came with three Towmaster tires that looked new. One had a puncture and the tire shops wouldn't fix it because it was too close to the side wall.

I had it plugged, and we drove to Alaska and back (11,000 mile trip), and all the tires made it fine.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:03 PM   #37
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
drbad, my last post (#30) talks about Towmaster tires. Granted they weren't on our Airtream, but I did have them.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
I put new Towmaster Tires on my '63 Tradewind (single axle) last year.

I have driven about 2000 miles with no problems.

I had new axles put on at Jackson Center earlier this year and they gave me a thumbs up on the tires.

Mike
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:58 AM   #39
dbad

1977 31' Sovereign
San Diego County , California
Talking my apology

I apologize for my "off topic" comment. Obviously, I had not read the entire thread, and I was "off my rocker."

I'm a newbie, bringing a 1977 International 31' from Reno to San Diego on Saturday. It's been parked a long time, tires covered, so I'm replacing all 4 before the trip. I'm in Reno right now and having a tough time finding Maxxis M8008 which is what I really hoped for. I think I've found em at Big O. But it's good to know I could go with Towmaster or Carlisle if I had to ... seems like anything at all is better than Marathon.
drbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Goodyear stands behind its products as well. I had a small bubble in one of my tires and the local goodyear dealer replaced all of the tires without a charge -- I have never had a problem with Marathon tires and have them on several trailers ---- inflation, inflation, inflation....... that is the key

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote