Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I really don't think the tires care what their stored on for short periods, it's really how dry they are. Just like with batteries it's pretty much a myth about storing on concrete.

Bob
🇱🇷
Covered on drain tile in Season, inside in Winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_59.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	310680   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_829.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	310681  

Old 05-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Wondering what the general thoughts are on how old is too old for using a tire on your trailer?
Do you have a hard and fast rule or do you wait till the tread wears out before you replace the treiler tires?

Thanks for your time.

Colonial Airstream is a very reputable dealer. They recommend replacing tires 5 years from the date of manufacture as stamped on the tire sidewall. Heres a link to the video they put out regarding tires.

https://youtu.be/idPwcjVUBrc
jonnie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Will replace the LT michelins at 5 years....unless they suddenly develop a strange wear pattern, then they will be gone...the gym’s were replaced at 22,000 miles as they were a bit over half way..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Ahhh... yep its nice to replace the tires at the 5 year mark.. but, I have pulled A/S that had orginal tires on 'em... which were over 10 years old...

In days past I would say that as the tire weather checks... it appears like you should replace them... however todays tires are not the same as the old ones... new materials inside them seem to be able to last much longer... and not get damaged...

After all their are three parts to the tire... the rubber that meets the road.. and the casing which keeps it all togeather... and the air inside the interior liner...

Keeping the heat out of the tire when towing is also a issue.. thus we go to alu rims and keep the heat gun on check when we stop . Speed, weight and tire felxure are road killers...

As to the old airstream with the orgin tires made it all the way across the US from Ca to Fl. no problem.. but we did keep a eye on them... to make sure they didn't show signs of failure... and do damage... as any problem with tires on a A/S.. will cause $$ repairs needed... to the trailer liner and body... we have found...

As to NEW tires on A/S... we have had several that within the first 100 miles... started to have interior cord problems (sidewall knot'n) which cause flat spots on the face of the tread... so just because you have new ones on.. don't think your problems are over...
Years ago they used to sell some spray liquid that you put on the tires.. which kept them from drying out... and UV from getting to them... I saw a lot of reports back that showed it did work.. but, their are two sides to the tire .. and I think a lot of issues hapend because they didn't coat the whole tire.. and left the inside dry... etc...

So when do we change 'em... well if they are setting .. when they start losing air... when you use them on the road... the 10 year mark... seems to be about it...

Keeping two sets of tires.. is what some are doing... i.e they keep the good ones stacked in the garage until they take a trip... the other set stay on the trailer and are their just to move it around... they find that the easy way to tire up for a trip... and at the same time before they change 'em they also check the wheel bearings and brakes... which is easy to do on the A/S because they just back up over one block which raises the other wheel... easy pizzie...

Which brings us to another question.. how often do you clean and re-grease wheel bearings... I know some TV owners that haven't done it for years... yet they treat the trailer the same way... using the atage... if it ain't broke don't screw with it... grease never wears out... so how often do you service 'em... ?
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question

........ snip "(sidewall knot'n)"

I have to ask, what is it?? And where exactly is the 'face' of the tread?

Bob
🇱🇷
Old 05-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #26
Our "S" peeled off

2012 30' Classic
Topeka , Kansas
"Airtream" because our "s" peeled off

Last year I pulled our 2012 from Washington State to El Paso on original, 2010 Marathons. Had I seen what a blowout does prior to this trip, I would not have done so. Now sporting Goodyear Endurance's for our upcoming cross country trip. Purchased them from Sams and had production date less than three weeks prior to mounting. I expect to replace them in 5 years regardless.
Airtream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
What is everyone's DOT date of mfg. on the tires reported below?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11

Our 2014 AS model year FC20 has tires that were made in mid-2012, so they are 6 years old at this point. Planning on replacing ASAP even though the miles on the trailer are minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWBC View Post
May 2013 and counting with GYM,
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
May of 13 for my GYM'S
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
. . .
I put the tires that are on the Airstream on in 2011.
. .

If your tires were 1-2 years old at the time of installation -- don't laugh, that is commonly reported on many threads here -- do you feel comfortable having you and your families' lives depend on them?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I change after 4 years. Costs me about $200 per year for tires. I change batteries every 2 years. Another $80 a year or so. Just part of the cost of old people running a trailer. Actually one of the smaller costs most years. The last set of tires looked perfect when I took them off. No visible wear either. But I got to do it in my driveway on a cool day when I wanted to with no damage to the trailer. Hope I am that lucky with the set I put on last week. I feel that damage to tires is accumulative and one of the tire guys said that tires loose strength each year. We do a pretty good number of miles some years and I hit a lot of potholes and curbs.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
2022 28' International
2015 27' FB International
Des Allemands , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Wondering what the general thoughts are on how old is too old for using a tire on your trailer?
Do you have a hard and fast rule or do you wait till the tread wears out before you replace the treiler tires?

Thanks for your time.
4 years from the date on the tire.
AraExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

santa barbara , California
Hi Alan, we have a 30' classic ,7700 lbs empty 10,000 gross, and looking for a tow truck. dose your s do ok in the mountains ? thanks Dan
30air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #31
bhooves

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Tires: 5 years from date of Manufacture

At the Escapees RV club's boot camp, a guy who designed tires for a major tire manufacture recommended 5 years from the date of manufacture of the tire. We go to the Airstream factory for service every year and have seen a number of Airstreams in for repair due to tires failing and and tearing up their trailer.

Escapees RV Club: escapees.com

I have switched from the goodyears the first year that we had our trailer to the 16" Michelin.

Good luck and happy travels.
bhooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:23 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
The sidwall develops a little indentation... and the face of the tire is where the rubber meets the road... and forms a flat spot... that behaves like a cold tire first starting out.. thup thump thump.. kinda thing... and makes the tire out of balance...

Ok so how many of you all change your TV or pax tires every 3-5 years... bet some of ya are working on 6-8 before you wear them out... sidewall be dam'ed. yet why do you change the trailer tires out on a time line...

Irailer tires are exposed to so many different uses... some set .. some go on the road.. etc... some get exposed to sun in one setting for months at a time...

Yet everone says to change 'em out.. fearing blowouts... yet when talking to engineering at seveal of the tire manufactures.. they laugh and say.. used to be.. but today again with kevlar and steel in the sidewalls and faces... they are saying... try not to waist your money...

I wonder how many ACTUALLY have had the blow out from aged tires and not some other problem... too many hear stories from a friend of a friend of a friend who said they knew someone... whos did.. but in actual they have never had .. nor would they if they use the trailer on a simi monthly baiss.. even if its just a trip around the block so they get some rotation.... ye I know. the old saying... use it or lose it... kinda thing..

But, in reality... today do you need to change them on a time line... when your using them normally... well the gent at mitch said.. NO... todays tires are so much better and advanced...

He went on to say more tires are damaged by over inflation and weight than he thinks would be from age... and need to replace... of curse he also said.. keeps us in business.. but he along with I am wondering who started the time line replacement on tires today... does anyone really know ? or do most just follow the sheep... and think they are safer chang'n than sticking with the current ones...

He went on to say that new tires have been found to fail almost as frequently as tires made during the 90's when they started using different material in the sidewalls than nlyon or glass...

He went on to say that the rubber will harden within the first year the tire is exposed to the elements... after that.. it tapers down.

Oh well.. ya pays your money and takes your choice... almost like what were finding out about batteries... just because you pay more doesn't mean its better.....

So where are the real facts... according to him... blowouts have been reduced by better than 80% from the 90' on .. and I guess he should know as they check their products all the time in a conten'os feedback...

He also said that you want to check the wheel bearings... as a bearing that is dragging or not working right can lead to tires getting excess hot and causing problems... so how often do you service clean and repack the wheel bearings... His suggestion is at least once a season before you hit the road... and after to insure that things are dependable... so how many do that ? Or is it the tires fault?
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:48 AM   #33
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
A little indentation....like this? 😳

This set was changed out at 60k for tread ware...sidewall indentations are fairly common, i've not heard of or had a problem with tires that had them...its the bubbles that cause failures.

Bob
🇱🇷
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1ba4.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	310727  
Old 05-12-2018, 05:50 AM   #34
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I just replaced the original GYMs on our 2011 23FB. I’m guessing they were at least 8 yrs old. I would have replaced them last year, but due to a couple of surgeries, we didn’t travel last year. Have GYEs on now, I expect them to last 6 years. I keep the AS in covered storage, and parked on non-treated 2x12s. Never had a problem with GYMs, but I watch pressure and temp closely when on the road. (Without a TPMS)

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:59 AM   #35
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
GM Airstream,

I think you are on point that the data on tire age doesn't support a 5 year (or whatever) removal pattern. EXCEPT: Travel trailers seem to be a different kettle of fish than cars and pickup trucks. The tires on travel trailers seem to fail more frequently. Some folks blame that on foreign manufacturers. Some blame the letters "ST" in the size. Some point to - supposedly - less rigorous standards for ST tires.

IMHO, some of the blame has to rest with trailer manufacturers who under-specified the tires (or under-estimated how much stuff people put in travel trailers.) and didn't highlight that ST tires had a 65 mph speed limitation.

But thanks for trying to point out that there doesn't seem to be a single answer to the question.

- BUT -

Your post is kind of a mixed bag. I don't know who you talked to at the tire manufacturer, but it's almost as though you didn't understand what he was saying.

Try these two quotes:

"...... He went on to say that new tires have been found to fail almost as frequently as tires made during the 90's when they started using different material in the sidewalls than nlyon or glass... "

"....... So where are the real facts... according to him... blowouts have been reduced by better than 80% from the 90' on .. and I guess he should know as they check their products all the time in a conten'os feedback..."

Those 2 quotes seem to be contradictory. Further, tire manufacturers started using steel in tires and abandoned glass and nylon in the 1970's - except for bias ply tires, where nylon is still the usual reinforcing material.

However, if he is in a position to notice that "blowouts" have been reduced by 80% - ah ...... Mmmmm ....... Well, most folks at the tire manufacturers don't use the term, because it is imprecise. Plus, I think the number is much higher than that - and I used to be the guy who generated that number for one tire manufacturer.

But, again, I think travel trailers are different and the only tire manufacturers who would have the resources to notice that type of difference in travel trailers is Goodyear and Maxxis.

So if you could clarify exactly what you are trying to say, I am sure the OP (Roger) would appreciate it.

Want to learn about tires? Please visit my website: Barry's Tire Tech New content every month!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:49 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Cary , NC
Lesson Learned

I just had a blow-out where tire shredded.

I have learned an important lesson: the tread doesn't matter.

it is the side wall of the tires that sit in the sun.

I will be replacing tires on my 20' Airstream every 18 months, from now on!
alreardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by alreardon View Post
I just had a blow-out where tire shredded.
. . .
Could you tell us the DOT date of manufacture of your tire please? We have the same model and model year. Our tires are dated mid-2012.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #38
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by alreardon View Post

I will be replacing tires on my 20' Airstream every 18 months, from now on!
Sun damage can be reduced by a cover.

And if I lived closer I would take your 18 month take offs.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30air View Post
Hi Alan, we have a 30' classic ,7700 lbs empty 10,000 gross, and looking for a tow truck. dose your s do ok in the mountains ? thanks Dan
pm sent
Old 05-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Boy am I ever going to get blasted. I have a 1974 MGB with Michelin tube type radial tires, made in France that are the original 44 year old. They have 51,000 miles and look like new. Always kept inside. Some tire shops say they look good and some say don't even think of driving on them. We drive them all around locally but take 2 spares with us, just in case. I remember as a teenager driving till the cords showed and then some.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote