Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2020, 05:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

St George , UT
Tires for 2019 Bambi

I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I’m hoping my question is at least somewhat appropriate. We just purchased our first Airstream - a 2019 Bambi 16’. I’ve read a bunch about tires for Airstreams and now I’m concerned about the factory tires (Goodyear). One shows a leak, so will probably just replace both. We tend to mostly dry camp, not heavy boondocking tho. We also average about 150 miles on highway to get to our spots. I’ve thought about Michelin on 16” rims but am certainly open to (and would appreciate) your suggestions!
Aard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:59 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard 👍

^
Disclaimer....I noe nothing.

Stay with 15" wheels and get new Goodyear Endurance ST tires.

Bob
Old 09-14-2020, 08:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Because the GYM's had such a bad reputation I have run Michelins for the last 14 years. But...with the lack of complaints on the new GYE I would run them. And I would replace the Mareathons.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:35 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
You did post off topic.
So I move the thread on it's own.

GY Marathon tires had issues, among them load capacity. Trailers were getting heavier and 15" rims had a limit on the load capacity especially in the ST Marathon tire series.
Before GY changed to Endurance many users moved from 15" to 16" rims and gained a much larger range of load capacity. So there was opportunity to get some needed margin in load capacity. That margin covers a lot of sins as far as overloading the tire if neglected and under adverse towing conditions.

Then GY moved to the ST Endurance tire (in several rim sizes) which is built to handle lots more load capacity. This was done some years back and the number of tire events dropped dramatically!

When replacing, knowing the job that needs to be done is key.
How much does the trailer weigh?
And know that each wheel position may be loaded differently. (This is very common in a travel trailer)
Knowing the max load to the position that gets the max loading and then have a tire that is inflated to a 15% margin will ensure tire events will be reduced as much as possible.

How that works out for your specific situation requires some work.

Because of cost and the competitive nature of new sales, if a trailer has a max weight of 4000 pounds, many RV manufacturers obtained the lowest cost tire that would handle 4000 pounds! Leaving no margin, in addition on a 4 tire trailer one of those tires was loaded more than 1000 pounds on the top end and another was loaded under 1000 pounds. It got the RV sold. However the user may of had issues when in service.

That is not happening as much as it used to happen. And if you look at cars and light trucks, many of those tires have a capacity that is double the actual load.

Action
Old 09-21-2020, 05:38 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Windsor Locks , Connecticut
We recently purchased a used 19’ FLying Cloud Bambi and the previous owner did a superb job taking care of the technicals. He removed and replaced all bearings, races, seals with Timken’s, Michelin 10 ply LT tires, steel rims and discarded the chrome nuts because they do tend to split upon removal if they are too tight.
I agree with his logic and delighted he did it!! FWTW.
SteveS52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aard View Post
I don’t mean to hijack this thread but I’m hoping my question is at least somewhat appropriate. We just purchased our first Airstream - a 2019 Bambi 16’. I’ve read a bunch about tires for Airstreams and now I’m concerned about the factory tires (Goodyear). One shows a leak, so will probably just replace both. We tend to mostly dry camp, not heavy boondocking tho. We also average about 150 miles on highway to get to our spots. I’ve thought about Michelin on 16” rims but am certainly open to (and would appreciate) your suggestions!
If it’s a 2019 you should already have Goodyear Endurance. Good tires unless they were somehow abused previously. Check out the source Of the leak and then make sure they’re properly inflated. The horror stories are most likely about the previous Goodyear Marathon tires, made in China.

Also get a a Tire Pressure Monitoring System. There are many threads on this topic.

The Goodyear Endurance tires have been out for 3 years now and have a very good reputation.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
As noted, the Goodyear Endurance tires are perfect for your application. I would have the leak checked out (it may be a simple valve problem) and, if necessary replace it and enjoy.

Michelin does not make a trailer tire and, when asked, will tell you that they don’t recommend any of their tires for trailer service.

Again, as recommended above, rather than change tire brands based on old information gleaned from the internet, you would be far better off to use that money to buy a TPMS.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
We have a 19' International (albeit 2014) and replaced the GY Marathons. though we had no problems with them...it was just time, i.e. 5 years, with GY Endurance two years ago and they have been fine. I would recommend them - no problems, smooth ride, durable... I am not all that "tire knowledgeable" but after significant research discounted the Michelin option primarily due to the reasoning mentioned by n2916s - they are not "trailer rated".
That said this week I am moving from GY's on my F-150 to Michelin Defenders!!
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:48 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

St George , UT
Much appreciated, y'all. I learned a lot from your responses and am keeping my existing GY's - which, after I checked, are Endurance which many of you approved of.. off to a tire repair shop today!
Aard is offline   Reply With Quote