Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrafun View Post
No, those are not the Eddie Bauer rims. If you're interested in the Eddie Bauer rims and tires PM me and I'll give you ALL of the info (manufacturer, model #, price, etc.) so that you can source them yourself. I just finished doing all of this research...took some time and a lot of back and forth but I finally have it.
FYI: The 16" Eddie Bauer rims and tires will cost $1575 installed.

I wonder how much Purman's cost? Perhaps his are a better deal.
with the Michelins and the rims was just over $1300.00 The Michelins are not cheap tires ! Over $200 each.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Not sure what model, but they are AS rims. Bought them from "Lewster" here on the forums.
Hi, does Lewster sell wheels and tires too, or were these something he had laying around?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #103
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Lander , Wyoming
I switched to Michelin 16" tires after going through multiple tire replacements with several different manufacturers, including GYM. Wear was terrible on all of the 15' tires, never got above 20,000 miles on any brand. Now have 15,000 miles on the Michelins, and they hardly show any wear. For a heavier trailer, go to the 16" wheels. I have a 30-ft with slideout, about 10,000 lbs.
funguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, does Lewster sell wheels and tires too, or were these something he had laying around?
I think he had these specific ones laying around but he is a commercial member.. Some he might be able to get some?

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Tires ...Tires...Tires

When I first got my 31 foot Excella I had a tire failure during the first year I had it. The tires were two and three years old and were ST tires. After reading the complaints about the ST tire I installed a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). The first failure was within blocks of home but I still had to change the tire on the side of I64 with cars whizzing by. Not fun/not a trooper to be found to provide shielding with his cruiser. the TPMS found another tread separation as I prepared to leave a campground. I started investigating this ST thing with the same focus and fervor that I had learned from the University of Southern California at LA’s Aviation Safety School, Aircraft Crash Investigation course that the NAVY sent me to.
I found out several things after writing all the tire manufacturers that manufacture the ST tire:
1. All ST tires are required to be tested to is 65 MPH by Federal Law, that’s it.
2. With the exception of Cooper and their Custom Trailer Plus, which carries a Speed rating of 99 mph because Cooper spends the monet to put good materials in the tire and pays for the testing, no other manufacturer makes a ST tire with a Speed Rating above 65 MPH because they are not required to, period,
3. In a conversation with the tire engineer in charge of testing for the National Transportation Safety Administration (NTSA), I learned that the speed rating of a tire is the overall acid test of how much heat a tire can stand before the rubber compounds that the tire is made of starts to loose their integrity and give you belt separation.
4. The cheaper the tire the cheaper the rubber compounds and the lower temperature that is required to make the rubber loose its integrity.
5. Goodrich, in the early 90s had the best truck tire available. Goodrich decided to shed their tire division because they were making more money with their aviation division than dealing with tires. Michelin, who was having trouble with their truck tires bought the Goodrich tire division and adopted Goodrich’s manufacturing procedures. This gave Michelin the best truck tire on the market.
6. Those of us who have purchased the Goodrich Commercial T/A have no complaints (Speed rating of at lease 99 MPH.
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:53 AM   #106
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
Seems logical, but it doesn't explain why Michelin won't allow their non trailer tires to be used on a trailer. I also don't buy the 'cheap' ST tire theory. GYM 15" tires are $134 without mounting and balancing. Michelin's are a similar price. Carlisle's are cheaper than GYM, but Maxxis are more expensive. Perhaps they are overcharging for the materials used in these tires, but it isn't just Goodyear.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #107
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Maybe the high price for a poor quality tire is to cover the large number of warranty claims.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #108
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
Maybe the high price for a poor quality tire is to cover the large number of warranty claims.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #109
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmaylan View Post
I have a 62 22' Safari that I would like to put Michlin tires on but the two dealers nearby say they don't have anything that will fit. I currently have 7.00 - 15
YOKOHAMA RY-215, a commercial LT tire in 7R-15 (7.00x15) used by several of us around here. TIRE RACK is a place to look for them. I had DISCOUNT TIRE order them for me from TR. They then mounted/balanced them and I installed them in parking lot along with CENTRAMATIC balancers.

Do a search on this tire for more info from AIR members.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #110
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
.. the overall acid test [in re poor heat resistance]

I'd say that the other is that ST tires may not be used on a vehicle carrying passengers.

The price, then, is more a matter of profit than of realistic expectations of performance based on that comparison point.

The better tires will cost more, but over a five year basis the difference is small.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #111
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
YOKOHAMA RY-215, a commercial LT tire in 7R-15 (7.00x15) used by several of us around here. TIRE RACK is a place to look for them. I had DISCOUNT TIRE order them for me from TR. They then mounted/balanced them and I installed them in parking lot along with CENTRAMATIC balancers.

Do a search on this tire for more info from AIR members.

Be careful when ordering from tire rack. A friend of mine got a really good deal on some tires, but When he got them and looked at the manufacturing date they were 2 years old...

Sometimes good deals are not always so good.

After mounting balancing etc. my local tire shop was only about a $1.60 more than Discount Tire. and the tires were made a few months ago.

And Michelins tires are over $200 not around $130 as ST tires.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Crap, I went to put the tires on today and realized I need deeper lug nuts. Now to find 24 lug nuts.. in our small town. Might be driving 45 min to get them.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #113
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Order em off the internet lol. Might be cheaper in the long run
Old 08-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Yokahama speed rating

So what is the speed rating on the YOKOHAMA RY-215?

I also like the looks of the Continental Vanco 2 tire if one wants to stay with a 15" wheel. The only thing I don't like about the Vanco 2 is that it is almost an inch shorter than the standard 225/75/15 tire. My trailer is already too low to the ground.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #115
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
. My trailer is already too low to the ground.
Thats not a bad thing lol. Better mpg and less sway. Unless you go off the map, then that extra clearance would be a good thing!
Old 08-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #116
4 Rivet Member

Lilburn , Georgia
Quote:
Be careful when ordering from tire rack. A friend of mine got a really good deal on some tires, but When he got them and looked at the manufacturing date they were 2 years old...

Sometimes good deals are not always so good.

After mounting balancing etc. my local tire shop was only about a $1.60 more than Discount Tire. and the tires were made a few months ago.

And Michelins tires are over $200 not around $130 as ST tires.
Tire rack has Michelin 235/75 R15 LTX M/S2 are $138. Perhaps the 16" tires are $200.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitorj View Post
Tire rack has Michelin 235/75 R15 LTX M/S2 are $138. Perhaps the 16" tires are $200.
Yep the 16" are $201 each on Tire rack. Then there is shipping of $33 a tire. Then on top of that you have to pay for mounting a balancing. So when it's all said and done you will be looking at around $250+ per tire. $30 more per tire than my locally owned tire shop...

Sometimes it's just not worth it. And you don't know how long they have been sitting in the warehouse..

figure adding another $45 to each of those 15" tires to get them shipped and mounted...

Hold on, I just checked out local places that will install for you Big O and other shops want $25 plus $5.50 for stem and disposal of old tire.

So on top of your tire from tire rack you can add another $63.00 to get it and get it put on. Totally not worth it people... BUY LOCAL...

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #118
4 Rivet Member

Lilburn , Georgia
I agree. My local Discount Tire and others around are about the same (or a little higher) price as Tirerack but no shipping cost more than makes up for the difference. And when the tires arrive at Discount Tire, you can inspect the date codes before installation.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #119
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitorj View Post
I agree. My local Discount Tire and others around are about the same (or a little higher) price as Tirerack but no shipping cost more than makes up for the difference. And when the tires arrive at Discount Tire, you can inspect the date codes before installation.
Not to mention that Discount Tire will match any price on the Internet. However they are smart enough to go to that web site with you present and calculate the shipping and handling? I saved $1.00 and some change on each wheel and could not find the tires cheaper. It was not worth the time I spent researching it.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Crap, I went to put the tires on today and realized I need deeper lug nuts. Now to find 24 lug nuts.. in our small town. Might be driving 45 min to get them.
Now I need extra long or splined lugs. They local kwiki is ordering both so we can figure out which fits best.

Anyone else have to deal with this??

Another $30-40

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT