Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2024, 06:46 AM   #1

2024 30' Globetrotter
INDIANAPOLIS , IN
Tire valve support

Hello. I have always used TPMS with my Airstream and it has saved me from a tire blowout when a leak occurred. Ironically, it was at the valve stem and likely caused by the weight of the external TPMs. I know that folks generally recommend going to steel valve stems to better handle the weight of the TPMs, but I was wondering whether folks have found an acceptable grommet or support for the rubber valve stems that can stabilize against the centrifugal force that occurs when traveling?
Dmckinzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 07:02 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Flying Cloud
2024 25' Globetrotter
Louisville , 40222
After experiencing two valve stem issues I changed to the metal stems on my 23FC so first item on my list with my 24 Globetrotter was to add these as well. I believe the four cost less than 20 bucks plus mounting. Best investment you can make. If your going to use tire pressure monitor system.
Deholden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 07:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
This is a case where I feel the correct answer is simply to install metal valve stems.

I had a need to replace the tires on our new to us 2019 FC 25RBT last month. I went to Discount Tire in Fort Myers FL for a set of Goodyear Endurance, and they worked with me to source Dill VS-902-W metal valve stems. It took about a week to get them from Dill, and they charged me $5 ea.

They were swapped in when I purchased my new tires, but I've seen posts by others that they were able to get tire stores (Tire Kingdom, Discount Tire, etc.) to simply swap in the stems and retain the original tires.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 09:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I have used the "hard rubber/metal" valve steams with my TPMS TST model, last 7 years with no issues. I just changed the batteries last month. All works. I have the repeater up on the A frame next to the battery box, where all comes together for power from the batteries. I have seen bigger models of the transmitters, but I have the smaller size. I know there are issues with the valve steams with some Mfg. using different softer rubber it seems, that has caused the stems to bend due to weight of the transmitter caps. The all metal versions I understand are fool proof, but I have not had any indication of rubbing with the stiffer rubber stems Discount Tire has installed. (knock on wood)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 09:46 AM   #5
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I have used the "hard rubber/metal" valve steams with my TPMS TST model, last 7 years with no issues. The all metal versions I understand are fool proof, but I have not had any indication of rubbing with the stiffer rubber stems Discount Tire has installed. (knock on wood)
Are they the "high pressure" valve stems that Discount uses? On my Jeep I wanted metal stems for TPMS but due to the recessed hole in the wheel they couldn't fit the nut on and tighten it so they gave me what they called high pressure valve stems which have a brass stem seated into rubber at the base. I haven't decided it I want to put the TPMS on them yet.
Old 05-29-2024, 10:18 AM   #6

2024 30' Globetrotter
INDIANAPOLIS , IN
Thank you all for your advice - very much appreciated.
Old 05-29-2024, 06:40 PM   #7
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Adding any significant weight after the tire/wheel assembly was balanced would be prudent to rebalance the tire/wheel assembly.

I have seen rubber tire valve stems with a chrome exterior sleeve to make the valve stem appear to be chrome.
Found on eBay or Walmart for less than $10

Action
Old 05-29-2024, 09:13 PM   #8
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I have used the "hard rubber/metal" valve steams with my TPMS TST model, last 7 years with no issues...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Are they the "high pressure" valve stems that Discount uses? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
....I have seen rubber tire valve stems with a chrome exterior sleeve to make the valve stem appear to be chrome....
I also have the metal & rubber combination valve stems and use stem-mounted sensors from Tire Minder with no problem. No indications of them flexing or rubbing in any way. Same valve stems are on my Airstream and tow vehicle (both run tires with a max pressure of 80 PSI).

The ones I have are high-pressure valve stems and seem substantially more solidly built than traditional all-rubber ones.

There are also some cheaper valve stems out there with a decorative sleeve on them like Action mentions, but the ones I'm using and suspect that gypsydad is using are not just decorative - they are true high-pressure valve stems.

All this said, the next time the tires are off the rims for any reason I'll be installing all-metal valve stems for the added security and longevity.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8 'Bert'
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser 'The Bus' (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 03:54 AM   #9
Master Chief BT

2018 27' International
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Adding any significant weight after the tire/wheel assembly was balanced would be prudent to rebalance the tire/wheel assembly.

I have seen rubber tire valve stems with a chrome exterior sleeve to make the valve stem appear to be chrome.
Found on eBay or Walmart for less than $10

Action
I use Centramatics to keep my International Signature tires in balance all the time, even as they wear. In theory, Centramatics would balance the tires every time you take on and off the TPMS sensor. It would allow and balance for the additional weight even if you didn’t screw the sensor down equal threads every time. Just a thought…check out YouTube for Centramatics on how they work. I even run them on my tow vehicle. Might be a long term solution possibly
WBCCI#11290
US Navy (ret) Master Chief Boiler Technician
BTCMUSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 06:07 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Westfield , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Are they the "high pressure" valve stems that Discount uses? On my Jeep I wanted metal stems for TPMS but due to the recessed hole in the wheel they couldn't fit the nut on and tighten it so they gave me what they called high pressure valve stems which have a brass stem seated into rubber at the base. I haven't decided it I want to put the TPMS on them yet.
I went to my local Discount Tire and the manager gave me 5 of the "High pressure" stems. I started with the spare and found out that it already had the rubber with metal insert(High Pressure). I contacted Airstream and they confirmed this so I did not replace any of the other ones. We have a 2020 Airstream Caravel 16rb. FYI.
MINICS04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 07:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jenkins View Post
This is a case where I feel the correct answer is simply to install metal valve stems.
I agree.
I always think I can make things better, I installed my own Dill 902-W. It was technically easy. First problem, break the bead in the area of the stem. I slipped in a short piece of wood and cut the old stem about half way, then pulled it out the hole from outside. Insert the new stem, tighten the 'shoulder nut', inflate the tire again. Repeat for all four.
Would I do it again? NO!
It's hot and dirty, you need a tool to break the bead and another to pull the old stem. Finally, you need sufficient air VOLUME to pop the bead back on.
TIP: I wish I knew. Remove the valve core to pop the bead back on. It allows more air in faster.
PRO TIP: Take them to your friendly tire store. Remove the tires if you're worried about jacking. They'll have it done in minutes.
I learned.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 04:34 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Laurel , Maryland
Metal valves on TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deholden View Post
After experiencing two valve stem issues I changed to the metal stems on my 23FC so first item on my list with my 24 Globetrotter was to add these as well. I believe the four cost less than 20 bucks plus mounting. Best investment you can make. If your going to use tire pressure monitor system.
Being my TV is a 2005 3500 Cummins DRW truck, tire pressure’s are 65+ psi.
I had valve stem leakage and went with metal stems! Because of the pressure, they leaked around the stems!….with metal stems no more leaks!

I’m going to say, until encouraged otherwise, that they (metal stem) do not need to be replaced every time you purchase new tires. {depending on age?}

Yes, because of centrifugal force, and the extra few grams of the external TPMS transmitter, metal stems are highly recommended! Your AS shouldn’t have that much pressure, so you CAN get away with rubber, BUT! expect air loss, a possible blow out and or a tow to the nearest service station. $$$

Spend the extra money on metal stems all the way around, AS and tow vehicle, money well spent! Rick
Rick n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 05:05 AM   #13

2024 30' Globetrotter
INDIANAPOLIS , IN
Thank you all again for the helpful advice.
Old 06-04-2024, 06:56 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

destin , Florida
FYI - when I added stems last fall, my local Discount Tire informed me they no longer stock the Dill stems (VS-902-W-100) talked about above and could not help me source them.

After a bit of looking, was able to get them through FinditParts.com. Not expensive and shipped fast.

Then was able to take stems and tires into DT and they installed them at no charge.
hawkpilot is offline   Reply With Quote